1951 Tula SKS looks like new

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
miner49r

1951 Tula SKS looks like new

Post by miner49r »

I just bought a '51 Tula SKS today as an early Xmas present. I'd normally wait until Boxing Day but the sale was on and I had a credit card burning a hole in my pocket.
$219 at Canadian Tire got me a 1951 SKS, cleaning kit, sling, and oil bottle - all authentic accessories. Even the bayonet is pristine...
As for the gun, I've looked at all the parts, field stripped it down and found no indication that this gun has been fired more than a handful of times. All numbers match except the magazine (pinned for the Canadian market). All parts look new, not a hint of wear.
Is it possible this gun was never used? Does it make it more valuable?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
steelbuttplate

Re: 1951 Tula SKS looks like new

Post by steelbuttplate »

The bad news is it's used. The good news? It's a damn nic'en :vcool:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
miner49r

Post by miner49r »

Yeah - very gently used. There are no refurb marks anywhere that I can find. Most of the varnish missing from the stock could be found in the shipping box and on the rag I wiped it down with. The stock shows some wear but it looks like the typical banging around from being 65 years old. Pretty cool to find one with 99% bluing intact considering it's '52 cousin I looked at at the same time had all sorts of bumps, bruises and paint marks.
Is this a shooter or a collector? Being new to these weapons makes me think it is a shooter considering there are millions of them out there. 1951 isn't particularly rare or desirable?
miner49r

Post by miner49r »

So it's a Molot and it was test fired in '14.
Ammunition is cheap, I'm off work until January and the shooting range is just down the road. Dress warm because it's -32 with a wind chill of -41.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

It's a Tula arsenal imported via MOLOT. To shoot or not is your choice. Here that would be a 5 or$600.00 rifle.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
captsupercow

Post by captsupercow »

It's beautiful! And where do you find deals like this!?!
miner49r

Post by miner49r »

I am very lucky to find a nice gun. Living in Fort McMurray used to mean overpriced food, $10 pairs of socks and home prices averaging $800k
We've come a long way from those days. Socks are only 5 bucks now. There is a new Canadian Tire outdoor store here which has some amazing stock. The store opened a few months ago and has been a great addition to the town. They have a good collection of military rifles to pick through. Not alot of people are interested in the older firearms so it's been great to be able to cherry pick the good ones!
Life at the (literal) end of the road is good!
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

miner49r wrote:I am very lucky to find a nice gun. Living in Fort McMurray used to mean overpriced food, $10 pairs of socks and home prices averaging $800k
We've come a long way from those days. Socks are only 5 bucks now. There is a new Canadian Tire outdoor store here which has some amazing stock. The store opened a few months ago and has been a great addition to the town. They have a good collection of military rifles to pick through. Not alot of people are interested in the older firearms so it's been great to be able to cherry pick the good ones!
Life at the (literal) end of the road is good!
Yup the new CT store is a welcomed addition to Da Mac.Lots of guns and all kinds of outdoor stuff. However it is a bit pricey but it does save a 4 hour drive south to Edmonton.

btw welcome to the forum from a fellow Albertan.. :thumbsup:
Red Star Tactical

Post by Red Star Tactical »

That is a very nice rifle; I would be willing to bet that it was a parade/demonstration rifle and was probably only fired a few times in practice. As to shooting it, go right ahead, just steer clear of all that mil-surp corrosive junk, as it is best left to folks who pick up well worn, semi smooth bore norinco's, and Century AKs.
Daniel :2cents:
Mark AP

Post by Mark AP »

Looks like a non refurbished 51. If the mag was matching and not pinned in the US it's worth about $700 with the mag not matching it's about $500. Good buy!