Vietnam bring back Mosin. Chinese Type 53?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Bornslippery

Vietnam bring back Mosin. Chinese Type 53?

Post by Bornslippery »

Howdy,

First post. My father in law gave me his Vietnam bring back Mosin. Online research makes me believe it's a Chinese Type 53 carbine. But... The stamp has 1950. Anyone have any info? Thanks for the help.

millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Vietnam bring back Mosin. Chinese Type 53?

Post by millman »

I think that is a 1960. Has it been refinished?
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Bornslippery

Post by Bornslippery »

Not sure. I didn't know he even had this. Came over for lunch and handed it to me along with the story how he got it.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

It looks to be in very nice condition for a T53 in general, and especially so for a bring back. More pics would help us evaluate it.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Bornslippery

Post by Bornslippery »

Bornslippery

Post by Bornslippery »

Bornslippery

Post by Bornslippery »

That must be a 6. He must have refinished it.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The lack of blue on the metal is typical of many like it I have seen including my own, rubbed clean by many hands and southeastern Asian humidity. The stock looks cleaned. One characteristic of every type 53 I have seen bringback or later import is that dark Chinese Chu wood. The bringback ones tend to be the darkest. Nice gift, priceless given that you got the story with it from the man himself. Ask him if he kept the paperwork he would have had to bring the rifle back into the US when he rotated home. That's 1960, not 1950, just a poorly stamped 6
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Bornslippery

Post by Bornslippery »

He did give us paperwork. He's a great guy and an awesome father.
I'll ask him, but knowing he's a brilliant carpenter and cabinet maker with a mild case of OCD, I suspect he probably did something to it in the past. Doesn't matter, I'm keeping it in the family in his honor.

A 6 makes sense. I didn't know much about Mosin nagants before this. I just wanted to make sure that wasn't a 5. It wouldn't make sense after reading the history of arsenal 26.

Thanks for the info.
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Nice T53, and a great story :thumbsup: Below are some comments from an old post here on the forum about the T53.

#9 Re: My 100 dollar beat up t53
Postby yiping » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:28 pm

In late May 1960, In order to support North Vietnam. Chinese Central Military Commission approved Project "Green light" It is an emergency assistance to N.V.
The CCP First Ministry of Machinery Industry ordered the factory 26 to make 10K T53 rifles. They also refurbished 20k T53 rifles at the same time. Both jobs had to be done before Oct. 1960.
Information is from the book "Chinese made military rifles 1949~1989" published in 2013 by Tze-Dao Chuang :D

#11 Re: My 100 dollar beat up t53
Postby yiping » Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:46 pm

Junk Yard Dog wrote:
Is there an English translation yet?

There is not a plan to do a English version at this time. :wink: This book has some very good and new information.

Need to make a correction : Project "Green light" production number :1960 made T53 should be 100K rifles. Refurbished T53 should be 200k rifles. All 300K were send to N.V. :)
Bornslippery

Post by Bornslippery »

Thanks for the info.
Bornslippery

Post by Bornslippery »

I would really appreciate some advice.

If you look close, the top hand guard is broke in half with the front missing. Should I replace it? The rifle is staying in the family. Going to my son out of my cold dead hands. I kind of think that the broken guard tells a little bit of its story. Thanks for any advice.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Might as well leave it as is, any replacement would seriously mismatch on the finish.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Bornslippery

Post by Bornslippery »

Thank you. I agree. Stays the way it is.

What do you think of this bore?

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Normal for this type of rifle given were it came from and the use it saw. Some of that might clean up either from shooting or cleaning, try JB bore paste. In the trade that's called a dark bore.
Theodore Roosevelt
Bornslippery

Post by Bornslippery »

Thank you JYD. Will do.