Romanian SKS

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
tailgunner67

Romanian SKS

Post by tailgunner67 »

While checking some local gun pages this beauty popped up and I had to have her. My first SKS, 1959 Romanian. She isn't perfect. She has mismatched parts but is all Romanian except for the Tula bolt cover. I got her for $300.00 after a few days of talking. She fits in nicely with my other two Romanians, my 2001 SAR 1 and my Tokarev pistol, all are Cugir. I took her apart tonight and I will try to get to the range next week. I just love these old war dogs.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rustynail

Re: Romanian SKS

Post by Rustynail »

Nice collection you have there
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

That is a nice grouping! Congrats!
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nice rifle, but not a war dog, Romania remained out of world conflicts after WW2. The most action they saw was when Nicolae Ceaușescu was ousted and then executed on live TV. Now that is what I call reality TV!
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
tailgunner67

Post by tailgunner67 »

Agreed JYD, poor choice of words on my part. I just really got into milsurps this year. I bought some years ago but they were like new unissued. Now I have some that are dinged up and have character. The last thing I want now is something shiny and new. I like the look of "been there, done that". I have bought more guns this year than in the previous ten. My wife has me on lockdown now until after the election. FYI, she doesn't know about the sks. Lol
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I have a 1959 Romanian SKS also. That along with a Czech Mauser I traded a Marlin .22 for started me down this Yellow Brick Road called milsurp collecting.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
dou44

Post by dou44 »

I found a 1960 Romanian and love it
billybob123

Post by billybob123 »

Romy's are generally considered one of the better SKS's and great shooters. I've missed out on a couple over the years. I'm hoping with Trump being elected the prices of SKS's will come back down to pre obama levels and I can afford a Romy. In my area they go for 500$ or more when you can find them.
tailgunner67

Post by tailgunner67 »

Since my initial post I have sighted her in and added a Romanian leather sling. This rifle is pretty accurate. More so than my AK. I am very happy with it. The rifle was originally listed at $350.00 and was available for a week before I bought it. I feel I was meant to have it. I have seen them on GunBroker going for $500.00 like billybob said.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Nice rifle, but not a war dog, Romania remained out of world conflicts after WW2. The most action they saw was when Nicolae Ceaușescu was ousted and then executed on live TV. Now that is what I call reality TV!
I suspect that the fighting around Stalingrad left the Romanians with a bad taste in their mouths about playing war. Their German allies treated them almost as bad as their Soviet enemies. That would tend to leave a bad taste in your mouth.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
krazy_horse

Post by krazy_horse »

Nice Carbine, I have a 58 and love it.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

IF The Romy SKS is as good as their M-44, it's a VG. I have two Yugo and two Chi-com's. So accurate, and so easy to stick 10 rounds in. It Might be my favorite semi-auto rifle.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

I have a weakness for Romanian SKSs, one of each year made 1957 through 1960, all equipped with the Romanian slings. I'm hunting the unicorn, the mythical no date Romanian,2 years now and no joy :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.