Big ole' mashup of reloading info - Reloading-101

Reloading and any ammunition discussions are here.
SSGTSemperFi

Big ole' mashup of reloading info - Reloading-101

Post by SSGTSemperFi »

Ok... so, i've literally not so much as even seen case reloading done in my life. So, I come here with some questions. I perused through this subforum a little before posting, browsed the internet, did some research, but i'm not confident that I fully understand what it is to reload.
Growing up in California, well.... let's just say that iv'e literally had people spew hate speech at me for owning a firearm.
That, and the insanely ridiculous (and ever increasing) laws around them, my firearm collection currently consists of one gun; my 91/30. I owned a new production 1911 as well, but it was transferred to my sister's' name and is used for her home defense needs. I have full intentions on moving out of state once I finish college and expanding my firearm collection.

With that out of the way, i'm looking towards getting into reloading. It's something that's always been in the back of my mind My question is;
For the time being, is it worth reloading 54r? Keeping in mind that I own literally no equipment, is it worth investing in the tools, equipment, materials needed purely from a cost-per-shot perspective? As I said, it's going to be some time before my firearm collection expands [think: 4+ years, two years of school, two years to save up at the least], but I do intend to reload for them.

If the answer above was yes, i'd like some recommendations on what your preferences, or suggestions for a beginner, are. Everything down to the last little detail; calipers, primers, powder, cleaning media ETC. Anything and everything.
From my research, about the only thing I have in-house already is a set of calipers from HF (Pittsburgh) - most definitely not the most accurate things on the planet, accurate enough?

I know i'm asking a large canvas-type question that has a near infinite amount of variables, so I guess, really, what i'm asking is; if you were me, what would your decision be, and what would your seasoned advice be to your newbie self reloader?
MeatMarket

Re: Big ole' mashup of reloading info - Reloading-101

Post by MeatMarket »

If it's to have another learned skill in your pocket it's always worth it, never mind if it's cost effective or not; but it doesn't take much to get started. Don't get started though without understanding what you're doing. You need to get a book. I recommend the Lee Reloading Handbook which is more of a textbook than a handbook. Read it then re-read it until you get it. As for what powders and bullet sizes etc, go by the book, it will tell you what to use for each load option for whatever cartridge you want to load. Once you study the book, you should have what you need to know to decide if this is a hobby for you. I'm an amateur reloader, but that's my advice.
I believe in the right to arm bears.
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

If you plan to collect anything that chambers an obsolete military cartridge, reloading is an essential skill. A good reloading manual is essential to have. You can also get a decent equipment setup for under $300. Lyman and other manufacturers sell decent vibratory tumblers for less than $100 and Lee sells hand operated presses for about $70 depending on who you buy from. An accurate powder scale is essential and will cost between $100 and $200. Bear in mind that anything you spend on reloading equipment is a capital investment. Buy the best quality equipment that you can afford.

I have two different loading setups. At home, I have a Lee handheld press which only does one function at a time. I use it to load rifle cartridges in small batches-up to 100 at a time. For handgun cartridges, I have Dillon Precision's Square Deal B progressive press and dies for 45 ACP and 9mm Luger. I use a progressive press as I reload larger quantities. For cleaning, I use a Hornady Hot Tub. It's expensive but I use it to clean gun parts as well, so it's dual purpose.

My advice to myself would be this: determine if you are interested in reloading. If so, look at all of the equipment options and buy the best equipment that you can afford.
SSGTSemperFi

Post by SSGTSemperFi »

awalker, you hit the nail on the head for what i'm looking for! (But to that note, all things considered, would the 54r be considered obsolete even though it's still used in military applications today?)

Two things I know:
1. I want to reload.
2. I'm venturing into territory that i've never experienced in my life.

I guess a better way of phrasing the question would have been "seeing that i'm wanting to reload, would it be better to invest now in "lower end" equipment, (single-stage press, crude but effective case trimmer, a cheaper tumbler over something like SS pin/water, ETC) or hold off for a number of years - due to the relatively inexpensive cost of surplus 54r, is it something that would be economical? Saving a penny a shot is all well and fine, but if I shell out $300 in equipment, it's going to be 3001 shots before I begin to save money. Unlikely that my mosin will see that many shots in the next four years, sad to say :P

You can argue the benefits of tailoring a load that your rifle loves, getting rid of the corrosive properties of surplus, loading a weaker charge for less experienced shooters, ETC, but primarily, what i'm focused on is if it's a reasonable thought to reload 54r for economical reasons, being my exclusive cartridge for the time being.

That's also why I ask if you have any recommendations on tools. I know there's pomp and frill catchy advertising gimmick features out there (Now reloads 5000% more precise! Hydro Carbon Zapper 5000 - guarantees to clean all your cases in just two seconds flat!), but I don't know what they are. Inversely, I don't want to spend $100 on a single stage press, when $110 can get me a progressive press of equal build quality that makes life that much easier.
entropy

Post by entropy »

If all you are reloading for is your 91/30, a single stage press is all you'll ever need. You said yourself you won't be shooting 3000 rounds in four years.....progressive presses are more for those who shoot 3000 rounds a month, or week. As for the case trimmer, if you're doing only one cartridge, a trim die from RCBS is the best solution. Tumblers can be had cheaply, check Midway for periodic sales on Frankford Arsenal tumblers.
There are other reasons to reload besides economy. That cloverleaf hole on your target from a load that you developed is very satisfying. Downing that once in a lifetime buck with your own handload, extremely satisfying. Knowing your can still produce ammo to shoot when it becomes unavailable/ more expensive, priceless.

If economy is all you are looking for, get a Lee Loader. But you won't be satisfied with the results.

Serioulsy, stick with a single stage press, I prefer RCBS, but Lee is just fine.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
George1951

Post by George1951 »

I have been reloading for perhaps 6 years, and cast &'load for rifle, pistol & shotgun, perhaps 12 different types. Although I don't own anything firing 7.62x54r, I have loaded some for a friend, and was curious about loading for that particular round since I have read so many times that it is impossible to reload, that I just had to try it.

The steel case, Berdan primed surplus ammo is is difficult, and a lot of work, to reload. Not impossible, but difficult. Since Berdan primers are unavailable where I live, I went with ' Plan B '. : sleeved the primer pocket with 1/4" brass tubing and then pressed large Boxer primers into the primer pocket. Drilling out the primer pocket and pressing in 209 shotgun primers also works just fine.

Since you are just starting out reloading, I would save the fired steel cases for later and buy a small quantity of Boxer-primed brass cases, perhaps 50. These can be loaded many times, especially if you anneal the necks from time to time. A Lee Loader, malet, and dipper set will get you started for minimum cost.

You have to enjoy reloading for it's own sake, any potential cost savings aside, and a high tolerance for repetitive tasks helps. Personally, I have spent many, many enjoyable hours casting & reloading. If you enjoy it, then buying more expensive equipment can follow. If you decide to buy a single-stage press, I like my RockChucker, which is heavy-duty enough to reform brass easily. My goal was to be able to load for any weapon, no matter how obsolete or obscure, which I can do if the dies are available. Strictly stick to published data to begin with. Good Luck !