Range Time

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
sbkittrell

Range Time

Post by sbkittrell »

I just joined a local Wildlife/Gun club and went today for the first time. I took the Savage Model 99, the Finn M39 Mosin Nagant, and the M38 Mosin Nagant Carbine. I had the rifle range all to myself for two hours, which was good, because I have no spotting scope and I had to walk down and see where the shots were hitting, even though I used reactive targets.

The M38 ended up shooting about 14" to the left of my point of aim and about a foot high, which wasn't surprising, but I didn't bring a punch to drift the front sight, so I didn't shoot it much.

Next up was the Finn Model 39. That rifle is way more accurate than I am. Since it's a battle rifle, I think the arsenal probably zeroed it in at 300 yards. I ended up having to tuck the front sight way down in the bottom of the rear sight notch and holding it at just below the 6" target to get my shots on the target, but that worked out fine. I was shooting at 50 yards from a bench, so I have no excuses as to my groupings, except old age and old eyes.

Once I got my elevation figured out, I thought it was shooting to the left a little so I held to the right "Kentucky Windage", but I was wrong and all my shots grouped to where was aiming.

Next round of shots were held below the target and dead center and this was the result.

The Savage Model 99's elevation was off. It was shooting low at 50 yards.

I slid the elevation ramp up a notch and this was the result.

Fired a few more rounds and my teeth and shoulder had had enough.

Overall impressions: The Finn M39 was everything I had hoped it would be. It's heavy enough to reduce the perceived recoil too. It is way more accurate than I am.

The MN M38, needs some work. I'll have to drift the front sight over and I'll post a future report on that. The recoil and fireball is every bit as awesome as ya'll say it is.

The Savage M99 was also more accurate than me. I shot it last and I was getting sore by that point. It's balance is every bit as sweet as is reported by other owners. I'd like to replace the sight with an aperture sight and I am going to see about getting the crack in the stock near the tang repaired before I fire it again because I don't want to increase the damage. It did have a LOT more recoil than I expected. I thought it would kick less because it feels like a fairly heavy rifle. Still, I shot over 20 rounds so the perceived recoil did increase with number of shots, as my shoulder and teeth begin to hurt more and more. For some reason the recoil hurt my face and cheek more than the other rifles. Don't know why, but when I was done shooting the M99, it felt (feels) like somebody gave my face a good punch.

As for how I shot, I don't have any excuses for my performance. I was shooting at 50 yards from a bench. The Finn and the Savage were capable of a lot better groups than I came up with. I haven't shot a rifle extensively in a while, and the truth is my eyes aren't what they used to be. Shooting with irons sights is what I prefer, but it is hard for an old guy like me to keep that front sight on a consistent point on the target, so my groupings left a lot to be desired in my opinion. Still, I could take out a deer easy enough at 100 yards with the Finn or Savage.

Overall, I had a great day. My should and cheek is sore, but it's a "good" kind of sore. I'll be posting more reports on some of my other rifles in the coming weeks. I want to see how the rifles I have with bayonets shoot with them on and off, or extended or not. I'll shoot the Tula 91/30, the M24, the Lee Enfield and the FN 1949 that way.
Some days it's not even worth gnawing through the restraints.
MN Fan

Re: Range Time

Post by MN Fan »

I kind of like that "after the range" soreness :)

Nice shooting and nice report! I picked up a M38 recently, but haven't fired it yet. I look forward to it. I'm happy to hear you like your new Savage! I have heard they're a pretty sweet rifle, but haven't shot one myself yet.

You did well and you had fun! It doesn't get any better :)
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Your on the paper you are doing fine. The M39 is something else isn't it? :) I remember the first time I shot one, I found that the $150 Finn Mosin was shooting as well as my best US M1903's and A3's, I was amazed.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
sbkittrell

Post by sbkittrell »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Your on the paper you are doing fine. The M39 is something else isn't it? :) I remember the first time I shot one, I found that the $150 Finn Mosin was shooting as well as my best US M1903's and A3's, I was amazed.
Yeah, I'm on the paper, but it was quite a journey getting there and I never did get there with the M38. To be honest, I haven't fired any rifle extensively, other than my deer rifle, in years. I just didn't have a place to shoot until I joined this club. Hopefully I'll improve a lot. And consistency on the point of aim with my eyes is tough. I'm going to take the FN Model 1949 out there next and see if an aperture sight makes any difference. But you are right, the Finn M39 is an incredible rifle. Those Finn's really knew what they were doing.

Also, when I was getting ready to clear out, a guy with some black rifles, NICE ones, came over and started setting up. Then a guy from the pistol range wandered over, and another guy. All of them zeroed in on my rifles. All sorts of questions. They had all heard of Mosins and also Finn's but never owned one. All of a sudden I found myself giving a freaking lecture on the Winter War. It was awesome! One guy in particular was zoned in on the Finn and when I pointed out that the stock was made of Arctic Birch and those blotches were burls, not oil stains, and that it cost me 300.00, he said "I'm gonna get me one of those! I was a ROCKSTAR. Good thing I had already thrown away my targets. I offered to let them shoot them, but they could see I had just cleaned them, so they declined. It was cool though.
Some days it's not even worth gnawing through the restraints.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Great report SB. Looks like you had a fun time and the M39 lookin good. I have shot a couple of my M38s and they shoot real good with one of them more accurate then a host of my 91/30s. Enjoy the sore arm. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yea, I brought along a 91/30 , 91/59 , and the blood rifle ( 1941 SAKO M39) to the last big shoot upstate at a friends place. Pistol shooters all, they loved the Mosins and the 91/59 in particular. They were all hitting the paper at 200+ yards with the M39, even me most of the time. They had nothing to compare it to except one who had shot the M1 Garand and M14 in the Marines back in '62. He liked the trigger on the M39, and the fact that he could see the sights, then I handed him a Garand and he was lost in time for awhile :) You have to work hard to find any M39 that will not shoot well, all of mine, no matter what marking they have, issued or not, no matter what I paid for them, they all shoot very well, and they do it with antique commie produced ammo.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Sgt. Rob

Post by Sgt. Rob »

Awesome range report sbkittrell! It's great to see how enthused everyone gets when they spend time shooting, and then give other shooters a mini historical tour concerning the rifles the're shooting at the range!

It might be helpful to look into getting a P.A.S.T. recoil shield. A google search should bring it up, but I am pretty sure Midway sells them. It can really cut down on felt recoil until you get settled into long shooting sessions with your milsurps. Don't let yourself develop any sort of flinches that can become detrimental to accuracy. I see it happen alot with guys who feel they have to tough it out, and all they are really doing is hurting there own proficiency.

Looking forward to your future range sessions, really great work on the post! :thumbsup:

Semper Fi, Rob
My Mosin-Nagant arsenal.........is growing again
1938 Tula
1943 Izhevsk M91/30 PU Sniper
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

Sounds like a good day :thumbsup:
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
MadisonAV

Post by MadisonAV »

I'm glad you had a great experience the first time out with your M-39. When I took mine out for the first time, I hadn't shot a rifle in 40 years. At 100 yards, By the fourth round of 5 I put all 5 shots in the black of a 7 inch bullseye. Not a bad result for a man shooting a rifle after a 40 year gap, shooting a rifle that probably hadn't been shot in at least 60 years. Like you, the M39 is a lot more capable than me.

If you are shooting high, there are various height original front sight blades available for the M39. The number in the top of your blade is the height. One of the eBay sellers has a table that will tell you how much a blade height change translates into at a stated distance. Next time I go out, I'm going to see how much moving up to an 86 changes my groupings. I currently have to aim at the bottom of the white part of the target.

Make sure you take it out again soon.

madison
MN#1 - Finnish M39 - 1941 - More when it arrives ...