Wehrmann Gewehr, 1940 Banner Target Mauser

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
martin08

Wehrmann Gewehr, 1940 Banner Target Mauser

Post by martin08 »

Following WWI and the Treaty of Versailles, Germany was restricted from producing the 8X57 rifle or ammunition. So Germany developed a new round, the 8.15X46r, and was allowed to build a Serviceman's Rifle (Wehrmann Gewehr) for target and sporting purposes. These guns were generally used for hunting or in clubs, for target and marksmanship purposes. Some of the clubs had specifically marked guns. The reduced powder charge and lead projectile was generally effective out to 200 yards.

The military style version was full stocked with bayonet lug, and was generally built on the GEW 98 receiver with a new barrel. Many were restricted to single shot. In the early to mid 1930's, the Nazi Regime ignored the terms of the WWI treaty and began production of their new Mauser, the K98k. However, they continued with the Wehrmann Gewehr, though in diminished numbers, almost to the end of the war. Approximately 8,000 were built between 1939 and 1945.

The following is one of the scarcely seen Mauser Banner target rifles with a windage adjustable rear sight out to 175m, and built in 1940. If there is a better looking war-time Mauser out there, this one has to be a very close second.

Pics, enjoy, and thanks for looking.

No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
Fledge

Re: Wehrmann Gewehr, 1940 Banner Target Mauser

Post by Fledge »

Wow! Really nice example. No I doubt you could find a better surviving example.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: In the middle of all out war and they were still building this? With most everyone in uniform, or in a factory, or dead, question would be who had time to aquire or use these in 1939-45 period?
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
capt14k

Post by capt14k »

I was wondering the same thing JYD was. Why would they produce such a Rifle at the height of war? Especially late war 1944 and 1945 when supplies were extremely scarce?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Lots of little potential Nazis waiting in the wings learning how to shoot?
martin08

Post by martin08 »

It is amazing that they expended the resources and manpower during the war, but they did. Soldiers on leave were required to keep up with marksmanship skills, and would attend the clubs for range time. Here are the serial number ranges from 1938 to 1945.

1938-39, SN range 118715+- 122285
1940, SN range 122962-124264
1941, SN range 124264+- 124908
1942, SN range 124908+- 125821
1943, SN range 125821+- 126178
1944, SN range 126178+- 126417

In April of 1940, the commercial nitro proof of Eagle over N, and the Oberndorf proof house of the Stag Horn were introduced. Mine, at 123,686, would have been one of the first to have these marks on the receiver.
7x57

Post by 7x57 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote::vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: In the middle of all out war and they were still building this? With most everyone in uniform, or in a factory, or dead, question would be who had time to aquire or use these in 1939-45 period?
My father, born in 1928 and thus just a mid-teenager at the middle/end of war, often told me that he had to join the so-called "Reichsarbeitsdienst" ("RAD" - "Working Organisation of the Reich") when he had finished school, but was still too young for military service. This was a sort of paramilitary organisation, mainly tasked with any kind of public work (mainly manual labour on construction sites, tidying up areas damaged by bombs etc. during the war - in pre-war years this organisation was also heavily involved in Autobahn construction). During the winter of 1944/45 my father's RAD unit was heavily committed to free mountain roads in Bavaria and Austria from snow blocking them (freshly fallen or coming as an avalanche) - their only equipment consisted of simple shovels. Once they were locked in a small mountain valley by an avalanche which had blocked the only entrance and had literally to dig themselves out again - before food supplies in that valley ran out.
But besides this working obligations there was also a lot of paramilitary and later also military training. At first with .22lr rifles, later with fully-fledged K98ks. Some even got a training on anti-aircraft guns and were sent to defend airfields against low-flying attackers. Training with small-bore rifles also took place with the Hitler Youth on a large scale. My father enjoyed his first training lesson with such a rifle there at the age of 12.
1910 Arg. Mauser M1909 (long rifle)
1912 Braz. Mauser M1908 (long rifle)
1915 & 1943 Swed. Mauser M96
1934 Persian Mauser M1309
Two 1935 Braz. Mauser M1935 (short rifle)
1937 Braz. Mauser M1935 (long rifle)
1943 Finnish M39 (Sk.Y.)
1943 Izhevsk M1891/30 w. folding bay.
1943 Swiss K31
1947 Dutch "Wilhelmina" Mauser carbine
~1950 Hung. Lámpagyár Kispuska 48M (.22lr cadet rifle)
Two 1952 Hung. 48M
1955 British No. 4 Mk. 2
1968 Finnish M39
1977 6" Korth .357 Magnum
2012 H&K USP Expert .45 ACP
2016 H&K MR308 A3
2016 STEYR AUG Z
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Thanks for sharing the story. What a different world we live in now.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Fledge wrote:Thanks for sharing the story. What a different world we live in now.
No, the problem is we don't live in a different world now, the crap has just moved to another part of it. How many times do we see some kid in Afghanistan, or Pakistan holding an RPG or AK? How many kid soldiers are rampaging across Africa?
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:
Fledge wrote:Thanks for sharing the story. What a different world we live in now.
No, the problem is we don't live in a different world now, the crap has just moved to another part of it. How many times do we see some kid in Afghanistan, or Pakistan holding an RPG or AK? How many kid soldiers are rampaging across Africa?
I meant that kids stop playing video games, and put down the cell phones long enough to get some exercise shoveling snow :chuckles: I see where you are coming from JYD.
martin08

Post by martin08 »

7x57 wrote:
My father, born in 1928 and thus just a mid-teenager at the middle/end of war, often told me that he had to join the so-called "Reichsarbeitsdienst" ("RAD" - "Working Organisation of the Reich") when he had finished school, but was still too young for military service. This was a sort of paramilitary organisation, mainly tasked with any kind of public work (mainly manual labour on construction sites, tidying up areas damaged by bombs etc. during the war - in pre-war years this organisation was also heavily involved in Autobahn construction). During the winter of 1944/45 my father's RAD unit was heavily committed to free mountain roads in Bavaria and Austria from snow blocking them (freshly fallen or coming as an avalanche) - their only equipment consisted of simple shovels. Once they were locked in a small mountain valley by an avalanche which had blocked the only entrance and had literally to dig themselves out again - before food supplies in that valley ran out.
But besides this working obligations there was also a lot of paramilitary and later also military training. At first with .22lr rifles, later with fully-fledged K98ks. Some even got a training on anti-aircraft guns and were sent to defend airfields against low-flying attackers. Training with small-bore rifles also took place with the Hitler Youth on a large scale. My father enjoyed his first training lesson with such a rifle there at the age of 12.

Fantastic and very personal account of a unique time and place in history. Thank you.