1944 SKY M39

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
tailgunner67

1944 SKY M39

Post by tailgunner67 »

I am not a collector, I just usually buy what I like. I love the history of these rifles. I have only gotten into Mosins in the last few years and recently discovered Finnish rifles. My point is I am not going to tell you what this is, if you know feel free to tell me. I know its collectable and uncommon. The seller told me they only made 1,700 SKY M39's in 1944. It is in great shape. It does not appear to have been fired since after refurbishment. Don't ask what I paid because you wont believe me. I am not normally a lucky person but I was very lucky to get this rifle for a very low investment. I would also like to know if the LT on the stock has meaning. It has numbers matching bolt, and magazine cover. Everything has the early Izhevsk bow and arrow on it. I just picked it up today so I have no idea what the tang date is and I probably wont take it apart. So, tell me what you think!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zeebill

Re: 1944 SKY M39

Post by zeebill »

Just inventoried one that is 188 numbers away from that one. Very nice rifle and you should take it apart and at least safety check it if you plan to shoot it. Very nice rifle! I don't know what that one mark is on the bolt? Maybe someone with sharper eyes and mind will recognize it. The LT is just Finn Graffiti which is found often on Finnish rifles. VT and LT and sometimes MT appear often on Finnish rifles. I do not know what there meanings are. Bill :D Thanks for sharing the great pictures with us!
tailgunner67

Post by tailgunner67 »

I will oil up the bolt and check firing pin protrusion before I shoot it. I will probably take it out Friday or Saturday. I think the mark on the bolt is the Imperial Eagle. I'm sure someone on here will know.
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

The bolt is an older one. You can tell by the thicker part on the inside part of the handle. Czarist Eagle? Sweet M39!
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Thanks for sharing...enjoy shooting her.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nice rifle, sometimes a collection is just one item, not bad. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
tailgunner67

Post by tailgunner67 »

I know its subjective but does anyone have an idea of its current value? I know right now M39's are a hot item and the prices seem to be all over the place.
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Very nice! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
mossy33oak

Post by mossy33oak »

zeebill wrote:Just inventoried one that is 188 numbers away from that one. Very nice rifle and you should take it apart and at least safety check it if you plan to shoot it. Very nice rifle! I don't know what that one mark is on the bolt? Maybe someone with sharper eyes and mind will recognize it. The LT is just Finn Graffiti which is found often on Finnish rifles. VT and LT and sometimes MT appear often on Finnish rifles. I do not know what there meanings are. Bill :D Thanks for sharing the great pictures with us!
After reading your post Bill it hit me like a bag of hammers. You're exactly right. Never even realized I have a 1933 M27 with LT etched into the stock, just forward of the sling escutcheon
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

mossy33oak wrote:
zeebill wrote:Just inventoried one that is 188 numbers away from that one. Very nice rifle and you should take it apart and at least safety check it if you plan to shoot it. Very nice rifle! I don't know what that one mark is on the bolt? Maybe someone with sharper eyes and mind will recognize it. The LT is just Finn Graffiti which is found often on Finnish rifles. VT and LT and sometimes MT appear often on Finnish rifles. I do not know what there meanings are. Bill :D Thanks for sharing the great pictures with us!
After reading your post Bill it hit me like a bag of hammers. You're exactly right. Never even realized I have a 1933 M27 with LT etched into the stock, just forward of the sling escutcheon
I have a number of rifles that have those letters on them and have often wondered what they mean. Are they initials? Surely there can't be that many Finnish people with those similar initials. I feel slightly less respectful calling them Graffiti but what indeed are they? Maybe some kind of Finnish battle saying that is stood for by similar letters? Finnish Mosins seem to keep showing us things that we do not know the meanings of and I think besides the fact they seem to really shoot so well that is why I tend to gravitate to them in my collecting. Bill :wink:
tailgunner67

Post by tailgunner67 »

Less than a month ago I didn't have a Finn Mosin and now I have two. I am completely addicted to these rifles. I am already looking for my next purchase.
Joeinthehills

Post by Joeinthehills »

If'n JYD would just dig out his collection and take pixs of them then we'd have a better idea of what we have :biggrin:
tailgunner67

Post by tailgunner67 »

Took my M39 and SAR to the range this weekend. I am very pleased with both of them. The M39 is by far my most accurate weapon.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.