Newly Aquired 91/30

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Little_John

Newly Aquired 91/30

Post by Little_John »

I recently aquired this 1943 Izhevsk 91/30. I'm guessing it was a rearsenal and hadn't been fired until today. It's the cleanest Mosin I've seen in person. (Sorry for the poor quality pictures)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
djbuck1

Re: Newly Aquired 91/30

Post by djbuck1 »

The pictures aren't that bad. Post some more. :)
Earl Burlin

Post by Earl Burlin »

Looks like a refinished stock to me.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Looks nice, take a Q-tip and dip it in some alcohol, Vodka will do but whatever you use should be clear in color. Pick some unnoticed spot on the stock and rub the Q-tip on it just a little spot. If the cotton turns color then you have a shellac finish, if not it's likely Poly and a US stateside refinish.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
MarksmanTim

Post by MarksmanTim »

Based on the color variations of the wood and the shininess, I'd lean towards refinished as well. Hard to really say without seeing in person though. Otherwise nice rifle! Congrats.
Tim

Favorites of the collection:
1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Looks nice, take a Q-tip and dip it in some alcohol, Vodka will do but whatever you use should be clear in color. Pick some unnoticed spot on the stock and rub the Q-tip on it just a little spot. If the cotton turns color then you have a shellac finish, if not it's likely Poly and a US stateside refinish.
Its hard to tell from pics so the JYD test is the best way. I posted some pics of a stock that was dull and flat looking and in the pics it looked like it was poly'd, waxed, and buffed out with a cotton wheel! :crazy.gif:
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
King Johhny

Post by King Johhny »

Nice rifle! I've never seen the sight leaf colored that green, only red. Did perhaps Bubba do that?
M91/30 1940 Izhevsk
Oct 1944 Springfield Armory M1 Garand
Czech post war K98k
Izawa Jyuko Series 9 Type 99
SMLE No.1 Mk.III 1918 "peddled scheme"
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Looks like a typical refurb M91/30 to me!!! 8-) 8-) 8-)

Dolk
Little_John

Post by Little_John »

I will post more pictures this weekend. It doesn't appear to be altered after the arsenal refinish from Russia, I don't have another Russian shellac stock to compare it to.
NLMosin

Post by NLMosin »

Little_John wrote:I will post more pictures this weekend. It doesn't appear to be altered after the arsenal refinish from Russia, I don't have another Russian shellac stock to compare it to.

You better get out and get you one then!! No....really....go buy another one! 8-)
Governments don't live together.
People live together.
Governments don't give you a fair word
or a fair fight. I've come here to give you either one.
Or get either one from you.
Little_John

Post by Little_John »

I took a few close up shots of some markings around the rifle, I couldn't get a good picture of the bore because I don't have a bore light but it looks like it has never been fired. Also it doesn't look like it's been taken apart, the screws holding it together aren't scratched up.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

I can look at pictures of rifles all day and not tell what has been refinished and what has not. Even in person sometimes I am not 100% sure. Alcohol test is a great way to tell and even then I bet I have been fooled. I know of finishes that I have used on commercial guns that are oil based and act just like shellac. Just got to make some good guesses I feel. Then you get into some Finns that used Pomo Lacquers and I have been totally wrong on them more than a few times. I have had rifles coming straight off the importers pallets hand chosen by me that sure act like they are oil finishes and even can be duplicated on the inside barrel channel with oil finish tinted finishes I have bought in this country.

The guys who are professed experts that get to smelling are the people I get the most kick out of because if the rifle has been shot and cleaned a few times the products used to do that are all they will ever smell. Of course are they part blood hound, maybe they can smell stuff better than us? I try real hard to shut my mouth and not comment on refinished rifles brought up on here and other places because I am never really sure what I am looking at online. Let's put it this way new owner, I sure wouldn't kick that rifle out of my shop or collection! Congrats! Bill :lol:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

99% of the time when you are dealing with a 1943 dated 91/30 Izhevsk , the most common date and arsenal of Mosin in existence, and currently the most affordable Mosin, any stock refinishing will be the cheap and fast variety, Good old Bubba poly. Rarely will someone take the time to do a high end oil finish, they will save that for the K98 Mauser, or maybe one of the Finn Mosins. I think the simple alcohol test, external use alcohol for the stock, not internal use for the tester, important distinction to remember, will tell poly from shellac. Most oil finishes will be apparent without any test, they both look and feel differently than shellac. Russian applied shellac is thick, cheap, and sloppy, it overruns the metal, and has a tendency to be flaking due to poor wood cleaning beforehand. It will lift off the forend and handguard when the rifle heats up during firing.

Do not sniff bores to determine if a rifle has been fired, do not sniff anything on a firearm. For one thing people seeing it done with think the sniffer is insane, and for another seriously dangerous chemicals are used in most bore solvents and stock finishes. This is the stuff that turns spray can huffers into zombies, one sniff will probably do no harm, but a habit of doing it often will result in cumulative damage, who knows how much is too much so don't do it at all.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

My initial reaction to the first photo was Finn stock.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

It goes two ways....

1. It's a clean unmolested refurb with an original, shellaced & nicely marbled stock (Which we all hope it is.) :vcool: :vcool:

2. Or it was a clean unmolested refurb that someone re-finished, possibly burned the marbling in & polyurethaned the stock. :angry4:

First picture makes me guess the stock was refinished... Second one of the full rifle looks to be legit & darn pretty too.

The simple alcohol test Jim suggested will go a long way. :wink:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Little_John

Post by Little_John »

For anyone still interested, the stock is indeed shellac, took some denatured alcohol and rubbed a small area on the stock. The rag turned yellow and the finish was sticky, so it isn't "bubbafied"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yes, shellac.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Good news. And it is damned pretty too! :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"