More Modelo Argentino..

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
qz2026

More Modelo Argentino..

Post by qz2026 »

Some time ago, I published my Argentine collection to date and thought that this would be it. http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.c ... ly#p338334

Unfortunately, Argentinitis struck and I thought maybe there were a few holes to fill. I didn't actively pursue anything... they just kind of show up. Is strange with this addiction. And, being a carbine guy at heart, I couldn't just pass them up. Could I?

These are four additions since my last post. All are fully matching although there are no serial numbers stamped on any of the stocks.

The top one is a 1951 1st Variant DGFM-FMAP Gendarmeria Nacional (GN) 1909 Cavalry Carbine. Rare with only 400 made from 1947 to 1949. G.N. on the receiver ring and no crest. This may conflict with what Webster in his book says, but his book like so many others, does have inconsistencies and errors.

The next one is a 1949 2nd Variant DGFM-FMAP Ejercito 1909 Cavalry Carbine with a very low serial number that just missed the Variant 1 category.

Both these guns appear as non issued and new. They are flawless in every way.

The 3rd one is a 1949 1st Variant DGFM-FMAP Ejercito 1909 Cavalry Carbine. Only 5000 of these were made. This variant has the "Ejercito" stamped on the side of the receiver, not on the top as with the variant 2's. Fairly uncommon carbine to find.

The bottom one is a 1911 DWM 1909/26. This filled a hole and represents an original 1909 that was modified with the addition of a bayonet lug in 1926.

I think all I have to find now is an original unmodified 1909 and, maybe, I will stop.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Re: More Modelo Argentino..

Post by Longcolt44 »

Nice collection, I only have the one carbine. I never thought to look for others.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

Nice...very nice.. :thumbsup:
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

I didn't actively pursue anything... they just kind of show up. Is strange with this addiction. And, being a carbine guy at heart, I couldn't just pass them up. Could I?
:chuckles: You got it bad!

OMG those are beautiful! Now I see your attraction. Thanks for sharing.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Stop? Who are you trying to fool? That is a nice carbine stable.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

SA1911a1 wrote:Stop? Who are you trying to fool? That is a nice carbine stable.
:roll: Well, there is the issue of finding an 1891 battle rifle with intact crest.... Crap :bigrant:
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

I think all I have to find now is an original unmodified 1909 and, maybe, I will stop. :chuckles: :chuckles: :chuckles:

Yeah yeah. Sure you will. :tongue:

Seriously though... they are beautiful! Fantastic collection. You should be proud. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

You need an Argentine sniper with a Zeiss scope from the Kevin Carney collection like I have for sale! Custom made for them in Germany and last imported and sold in the 1980's. Bill
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

You are NO help Bill! :furious: :facepalm1: :facepalm2:
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:3Dpop: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

zeebill wrote:You need an Argentine sniper with a Zeiss scope from the Kevin Carney collection like I have for sale! Custom made for them in Germany and last imported and sold in the 1980's. Bill
Bill, I have $40.00 and a dang good coon dog I'll swap you for that one.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

I will raise your an additional $20.00 and give you a beagle pup that wants to hunt and 35 spent 7.62x54 R cases .
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

zeebill

Post by zeebill »

You guys might be a bit short as I have $2500 on it. They came in in the 80's at $1500 and $1800 and were the highest priced surplus scoped rifles at the time. I for sure know they didn't lose value! I have never seen one for sale in years as they were all gobbled up by high value collectors but leave it to Kevin Carney to have one. Bill
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

How about a perfectly good used car for it?
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

You guys crack me up :lol:
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

I love those Argentine Mausers... I just wish more of them survived with the Crests intact.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
lired

Post by lired »

Trying to figure out the history of the 'CN' marked 1909 FMAP Mausers. I've only been able to find 3 so far with details online. 2 of them have serial numbers identifying them in the 14000-15000 range as Gendarmeria Nacional 2nd Variants from 1952-53. You indicate that yours is a 1st Variant which would have been manufactured from 1947-1949, so I'm wondering if the date was determined by serial number. There is some speculation that the CN marked may have been CFS 'special' police rifles that were re-issued to the GN after those CFS units were disbanded. Any other info about these rifles is appreciated.

Thanks,

LiRed
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

I think you know just about all I know about them. It is thought that the number appearing on the shank represented a specific CFS unit or district. These are very interesting carbines. You must take what Webster says with a grain of salt I think. He actually doesn't cover this particular rifle in his book at all. Yet, here it is and I've seen one or two others, as well. He does explain in his book that several variants were manufactured (C.F.S., P.M. and P.N.M-apparent specialty carbines for various organizations) all falling into a specific serial number range the 2nd variant Ejercitos were produced in. All we can go on from the perspective of manufacturing dates are the serial numbers. My supplemental information comes from a very knowledgeable Argentine collector that keeps a pretty low profile, who is actually Argentinian herself and has many connections in the country of Argentina.
2 of them have serial numbers identifying them in the 14000-15000 range as Gendarmeria Nacional 2nd Variants from 1952-53.
Webster does indicate that there were two variants of the Gendarmeria National carbines - the first variant having the "Gendarmeria National" name actually stamped on the side rail. I believe he showed shank shots of these two carbines but they are very small - the variant 2 not being legible as to what is written under the crest. I have never seen either of these in pictures, other than the crest shots Webster included, or in real life. There were no further pictures, other than the crest, i.e. side rail picture of the Variant 1's. My collector friend indicated that there was a third variant that was not even mentioned in the book - the one I have and the very few examples that are out there now. Not really a 3rd variant but a rifle that stands alone actually could be considered a V1 on it's own. But that's neither here nor there... The pre 1950 dates (1947-1949) indicated could be an error since the serial number of mine would have had to be very low to indicate such an early manufacture date. This date range points to the V1 Ejercitos and should not be confused with the tail end specialty carbines manufactured. These (C.F.S., P.M. and P.N.M) and my G.N. have the look of being manufactured towards the tale end of 1909 carbine manufacturing - mid 50's to 1959 and their serial numbers verify this. Conclusion? We really don't know.
Last edited by qz2026 on Fri Feb 02, 2018 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Ugggg, my most current Argentine complements of Dennis Kroh... Pretty cool though... I've slowed down... really.... :roll:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.