Chinese receiver variations continued cast reciever

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
howiebearse

Chinese receiver variations continued cast reciever

Post by howiebearse »

these are photos of My cast receiver Chinese sks another trial at manufacturing by the Chinese who actually did more with the SKS than anyone else to upgrade and attempt to build it cheaper with different materials .

if you look carefully at the photos you can see the cast look to the receiver I have three different guns that I have photos of but these other two belong to another collector who is also doing a book on SKS so I wont post his even though they look different than my SKS
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Chinese receiver variations continued cast reciever

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Yes, I can see the texture of the receiver, cast all right, I hadn't known they were making cast receivers .
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Jolly Green Chopper

Post by Jolly Green Chopper »

My GI friends say they see stuff like that in Pakistan. Some is not so good while others aren't bad. They make rifles,carbines 9mm pistols,shotguns,etc.Some in little shops by hand. Thanks for showing us that casting.It's pretty amazing what they can do.JGC
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The shops in that valley of death they have over there?
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Cast steel or cast Iron?
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
howiebearse

Post by howiebearse »

I would say steel and I would trust whatever the Chinese Military makes to be safe and reliable If you look over sks carbines you can find allot of cast parts. They farm out the parts manufacture to allot of different factories. The specs are the same but many parts are made by factories that stamp metal, Machine metal, or cast metal as part of their work. The Chinese do not worry about how its made just that it meets specifications.
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

A casting if done correctly is just as strong as a part milled out of steel. The folks at Ruger have been doing this successfully for years in making receivers and other parts for the Model 77 bolt action rifle and other models.

http://www.ruger.com/casting/index.html

It looks to me from your photos, that the Chinese process falls a little short (at least in terms of looks and probably in quality) of Ruger's Investment Casting process. I've looked closely at the disassembled parts of my one and only Chinese SKS, and it sure looks like everything on the gun is milled with the possible exception of the trigger guard.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I checked mine as well, no cast receivers.
Theodore Roosevelt
howiebearse

Post by howiebearse »

Cast receivers are fairly rare. When you say that the Rugers look so much better you are correct but keep in mind the Chinese sks is for the military not some consumer that will pick every blemish out and complain. To the Chinese the looks are not important. Some of my Chinese sks carbines are perfect others look awful but all are reliable !!