M91 Sestroryetsk Civil Guard?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Remiel

M91 Sestroryetsk Civil Guard?

Post by Remiel »

Well I finally got around to taking picture of the Sestroryetsk I bought for my dad a little over a year ago, It has some very interesting stamps on it that I wonder if they are Civil Guard. The stock also has some interesting marks and stamps on it as well. Its a good shooter and only cost me $75.00 at the time

Here is the photo album
https://www.flickr.com/gp/138921097@N02/z87Y7u
Fledge

Re: M91 Sestroryetsk Civil Guard?

Post by Fledge »

It sure looks like an S civil guard marking. All sorts of numbers stamped over numbers. Very cool, and quite the deal.
cj1964

Post by cj1964 »

I've never seen so many numbers on a rifle - that's crazy cool! I'd think at least one of them is a civil guard number, but it passed through a lot of hands through the years, eh? A rather unique rifle in it's own way - thanks for showing it off.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It's a Finn used M91 with multiple civil guard numbers, each time the rifle or it's owner moved to a new district the number was updated on the rifle. SA stamped, no question it's Finn, and a nice one.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

We need a crest shot. Civil Guard number on your bolt. You don't see that as often.
Remiel

Post by Remiel »

TulaTom wrote:We need a crest shot. Civil Guard number on your bolt. You don't see that as often.
Will try to get a crest shot this weekend when I am don helping him with firewood
Remiel

Post by Remiel »

cj1964 wrote:I've never seen so many numbers on a rifle - that's crazy cool! I'd think at least one of them is a civil guard number, but it passed through a lot of hands through the years, eh? A rather unique rifle in it's own way - thanks for showing it off.
well it was one of 3 rifles I got from the same guy and it was second best out of the 5 he had(one was attacked by bubba), so he claimed, so i grabbed 3 for 75.00 each, my buddy got the 4th and my friend kept the last. mind you they were disassembled in boxes from another guy that wanted to (that shall not be named) them, I ended up buying the final one(1906 Tula all matching finn) for full price(400.00) to keep my friend from selling it to someone else, mind you i probably could have gotten it for less but he always cuts me deals on gunsmithing and getting ammo shipped in, and taught my dad and I how to reload. the best part is they were all in their own boxes and not mixed together and I was the one to assemble all of them except the one my other friend bought
neal45

Post by neal45 »

I'm sure many of us are looking forward to more photos. I certainly am.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Whoa... that one has been around the block... Very cool
husker51

Post by husker51 »

That rifle is very cool! :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: I agree, need more photos! :thumbsup:
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953
shoto2758

Post by shoto2758 »

Love it!
I'll look forward to more pic's including full rifle shots.
Do Not Think Of Winning.
Think,Rather,Of Not Losing

Gichin Funakoshi
Remiel

Post by Remiel »

Here are some more photos, could only grab 2 cause we were doing fire wood and I took them while my wife was unloading the truck,

I told Dad about JYD's method to color in the stamp and he mentioned having Grandpa's grease pencils from doing upholstery work in both red and white, so it may have the Sestroryetsk stamp colored in next time,
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Sweet looking gun
Last edited by Fledge on Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Remiel wrote:Here are some more photos, could only grab 2 cause we were doing fire wood and I took them while my wife was unloading the truck,

I told Dad about JYD's method to color in the stamp and he mentioned having Grandpa's grease pencils from doing upholstery work in both red and white, so it may have the Sestroryetsk stamp colored in next time,
Smart, distracting the wife with a load of firewood :D
neal45

Post by neal45 »

Nice markings. Your photo is clear without using the grease pencils. Thanks for adding it.
Remiel

Post by Remiel »

neal45 wrote:Nice markings. Your photo is clear without using the grease pencils. Thanks for adding it.
no problem