Gun Show Find

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
qz2026

Gun Show Find

Post by qz2026 »

Here is a very nice M-91. Tula Tom and I were at a gun show on Saturday and I snatched it up for about what I think it should have sold for. Maybe a little less. The funny part was that the rifle was tagged at just under $600. As we walked around we discussed what would be a fair but a much lower price. So, what the heck, I offered it to him and he immediately said yes. OMG... that was too easy! Anyway we laughed about it for quite some time afterwards and speculated what we could have gotten it for...

Anyway back to the rifle. This is probably the nicest Sestroryetsk shank stamping I have ever seen - at least laid my hands on. The receiver is original to the rifle. The stock could be as well but that's hard to verify. There is a s/n stamping on the left butt stock and some other number on the right butt stock.

My thought is that this was a Austro-Hungarian capture that was eventually used in the Balkans. There are no obvious stamps on the stock like a "W" or pine cones. The weathered steel, non matching parts, lack of a cleaning rod and rear sling hanger smacks Austro-Hungarian and subsequent use in the Balkans. Very cool rifle. All imperial parts, many being Sestroryetsk.

The gun doesn't chamber or extract rounds correctly. This, I am sure is due to a somewhat flattened type 1 interrupter/ejector. I've ordered a new one which I am sure will resolve the problem. Headspace (no-go) almost went all the way down. So, just for S&G's, I also ordered a new bolt head. I was fortunate that both replacement parts are Sestroryetsk. I also found a long, in the white, M-91 cleaning rod hiding in the basement. Make any sense out of the stampings under the butt plate? 910r? Life is good.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by qz2026 on Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Gun Show Find

Post by bunkysdad »

Beautiful. It's good to see these new reports of gun show finds.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

$600? :shock: Nice rifle, remember that any resistance to closing the bolt on the no go is a pass, your rifle passed, you do not need a new bolt head. Looks like one of the Balkan hoard we got 20+ years back, we don't see them so much these days.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:$600? :shock: Nice rifle, remember that any resistance to closing the bolt on the no go is a pass, your rifle passed, you do not need a new bolt head. Looks like one of the Balkan hoard we got 20+ years back, we don't see them so much these days.
Understand. Just taking the worry out of being close... This is the first time I have had one that almost touches the rail and was "spongy" there as well. I suppose a field gauge would have rendered better results. I have one... should have checked it. I'd be more comfortable with a bolt that locks up a little higher...
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Well it's important to be comfortable.
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

Wow, great find, and a Sestroryetsk too! I guess the seller didn't want to cart it home. I love the lack of bluing on this M91....congrats
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Man shes purdy Nice one
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

That is a very nice find. Congrats!
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

Wow, sure does have a nice clear barrel shank.

Wire hanger looks SCW, does it have any import marks?
Kollaa kestää
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

No import but they are too thick for SCW... Never know though...
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

One of the best imperial stamps I have seen.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

If you notice the stamp on the receiver (pictured in center) is different from the crest on the shank. Indicates they were made in different places, I think

Post by WWW »

Tease! So what was this much lower price?

I'm going to a gun show tomorrow. I won't expect to find anything near as nice as this. Or anything at all. :vsad:
Alexander Hamilton, Federalist Papers #29: ...if circumstances should at any time oblige the government to form an army of any magnitude that army can never be formidable to the liberties of the people while there is a large body of citizens, little, if at all, inferior to them in discipline and the use of arms, who stand ready to defend their own rights and those of their fellow-citizens.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Nice rifle and great pictures.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

He left out the part where he said check out that hot woman in the next aisle. I turn my head for only an instant. Next thing I know he's showing me this Sestroryetsk he has in his hands! No hot woman. No women period. Just a bunch of scraggly looking old farts and a couple old Turk Mausers on the table left for me to look through.

Beautiful antique Sestroryetsk! :thumbsup: It's my turn next time. :shifty: :vcool:
Judi and her Mosins

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

Very nice........Imperial stamp is so crisp clear and deep .

quote: Tula Tom
He left out the part where he said check out that hot woman in the next aisle. I turn my head for only an instant. Next thing I know he's showing me this Sestroryetsk he has in his hands

I see, I better buy me some "hussy" outfits for the summer gun shows. Remember if your wife catches you gawking. Chances are good for me your not going to purchase nothing but flowers for the spouse.
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Or we will be purchasing the flowers for his funeral . I never took my eyes off the prize once I spotted it at any show, flea market or whatever. The lady could be doing a strip dance over there then setting herself on fire, business first, once the precious is mine then I go get the marshmallows. :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

TulaTom wrote:He left out the part where he said check out that hot woman in the next aisle. I turn my head for only an instant. Next thing I know he's showing me this Sestroryetsk he has in his hands! No hot woman. No women period. Just a bunch of scraggly looking old farts and a couple old Turk Mausers on the table left for me to look through.

Beautiful antique Sestroryetsk! :thumbsup: It's my turn next time. :shifty: :vcool:
Who me? I wouldn't do such a thing :? Yes... it's your turn next time. I've got you 2-1 now. In all three cases the other person would have bought the rifle :lol: Funny he didn't mention the time when he said, Tom, I think that's a 91/38 at the next table only for me to find him fondling an M-91 Puolustuslaitos with a shit eating grin on his face :shock:
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Judi and her Mosins wrote:Very nice........Imperial stamp is so crisp clear and deep .

quote: Tula Tom
He left out the part where he said check out that hot woman in the next aisle. I turn my head for only an instant. Next thing I know he's showing me this Sestroryetsk he has in his hands

I see, I better buy me some "hussy" outfits for the summer gun shows. Remember if your wife catches you gawking. Chances are good for me your not going to purchase nothing but flowers for the spouse.
LOL... we are both single, so the mention of a hot woman requires an instant look-around :chuckles:
entropy

Post by entropy »

The stock is from 1910. And that sure looks like a pine cone next to it.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien