Finally..My classic firearms M39's

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Shelbygt500

Finally..My classic firearms M39's

Post by Shelbygt500 »

Finally got my M39's. They aren't as nice as some I've seen but I'm pretty stoked. The stock's have some blemishes but nothing major. Still need to clean them these pics are right out of the box. Anyone know what the info is on the hang tag. I know the caliber and model and see the date it was stored is there Anything else on it worth knowing? I can't wait to shoot them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Finally..My classic firearms M39's

Post by Longcolt44 »

I just posted information on hang tags in a separate post for all to read.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Shelbygt500

Post by Shelbygt500 »

Sweet thanks man..
husker51

Post by husker51 »

I think you did pretty good. They look good for what they are. There is a lot to like on both of those rifles. Sorry, I can't tell you anymore about the tags than you already know. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I forgot...two very nice M39's.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Shelbygt500

Post by Shelbygt500 »

Thanks guys. Probably a good thing I gotta work tonight or I may be up all night cleaning them..lol
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: They look good to me!
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

I heard folks complaining about the quality of M39's coming from classic, but the ones I have seen on here look good to me...yours included.
Shelbygt500

Post by Shelbygt500 »

Thank you I appreciate that. What do you guys do for the stock's? For my 9130's I usually just put a little oil on them(I'm sure that's not right). What's the best way to care for these stock's or any for that matter?
TheMaineEvent

Post by TheMaineEvent »

Wipe down with lemon oil and call it good.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Two nice rifles that look like twin brothers.
Shelbygt500

Post by Shelbygt500 »

Thank you..
Got one clean. It has an 1899 receiver.. HOLY NUTS..Being newly into the collection game that's crazy to see. Also the stock has a red K on it. Is that anything or is that something classic might have done?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Shelbygt500

Post by Shelbygt500 »

I'm not looking forward to cleaning this gun. It's gonna suck..:(
thughes

Post by thughes »

Shelbygt500 wrote:I'm not looking forward to cleaning this gun. It's gonna suck..:(
You've obviously never bought a surplus Chinese SKS....

Boiling water or a heat gun/paper towels (for the metal, NOT the wood) will get most of that taken care of for you.
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

I have had a few Finns with that thick grease coating them, some even had pine needles in it.

I clean all the metal in mineral spirits. It works the best and doesn't hurt the finish.
I put a cap on one end of pvc pipe that is big enough to fit a barreled action into so it can soak. Put a screw cap on the other end to keep it from evaporating and you can let it soak for a few days until you have time to clean it. I have clean a couple dozen in it and have yet to change the mineral spirits. When I do, i'll dump it in the fire put outside.
Kollaa kestää
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Shelby, you can rest assured that nobody has messed with that rifle when it is still in the grease like that. When cleaning it, all the way down to the small parts and screws you get to know it better than any other way. That is what I like most about the first real cleaning.
Shelbygt500

Post by Shelbygt500 »

thughes wrote:
Shelbygt500 wrote:I'm not looking forward to cleaning this gun. It's gonna suck..:(
You've obviously never bought a surplus Chinese SKS....

Boiling water or a heat gun/paper towels (for the metal, NOT the wood) will get most of that taken care of for you.
Actually I have and it wasn't bad At all minimal cleaning on it. Someone may have cleaned it though I bought it at a gun show and can't remember if it was used or not. I'll definitely have to try one of the suggestions.

Lee-online I really like your idea I may need to build that be nice and simple.

Bunkysdad that's very true. I pretty much know every little part on it now. It's time consuming but I enjoy it
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

I love the smell of cosmoline in the morning. ;mywink;
Shelbygt500

Post by Shelbygt500 »

I know right. My wife kept yelling at me cause the house smelt but I thought it was awesome..lol great air freshener
Fledge

Post by Fledge »

It kind of takes the fun out of getting a new surplus gun if it is all cleaned up when you get it.