Recoil Question

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
ffuries

Recoil Question

Post by ffuries »

Took about 8 guns out shooting today with one of my sons, SIL and a neighbor. The milsurps we took out there was a M91, M91/30, M44, and a M24/47 Yugoslavia Mauser.

Out of the Mosin Nagants I figured the recoils from least to worse would be M91, M91/30, M44....But no, it was M91/30, M91, M44. Is this normal for a M91 to have a worse recoil/kick than a M91/30?

Regardless a fun day was had by all, lots of lead was thrown down range, lots of BS'ing, and after we got home, I got to hang out in the garage to clean them before putting them away. :beek:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
jimpierce7

Re: Recoil Question

Post by jimpierce7 »

To be honest, I've not noticed a difference between M91s and M91/30s recoil. But the M44 has the best kick no doubt.
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

My M44 bucks the best of my Mosin's too.
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

The heavier the rifle, the longer the barrel, less recoil. Try a M-38 without the extra weight of the bayonet..... :bigrant: I got me one o them fancy shootin vests with a pad on it for that lil sucker.
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

I never noticed a difference between my M44 and M91/59. They both hurt the same after 100 rounds.............. hehehe
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

steelbuttplate wrote:The heavier the rifle, the longer the barrel, less recoil. Try a M-38 without the extra weight of the bayonet..... :bigrant: I got me one o them fancy shootin vests with a pad on it for that lil sucker.

I agree with you, which is why I was caught off guard when the M91 had a harder recoil than the M91/30. I thought maybe it was me, but several people fire them and said the same thing. Now granted the M44 had the biggest recoil and emitted a fireball that was impressive, and put a grin on everyone's face.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
entropy

Post by entropy »

Compared to the No. 5 Jungle Carbine, even the M38 seemed pretty tame. :shock: The 91-30's and M91's seem about equal in recoil to me.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

The Model 91 should have had the least recoil of all, interesting, any issues with your handguard slipping off? Let’s talk milsurp recoil, the Model 95 Mannlicher carbine in 8X56R tops all mentioned. Though on a side note, my late war 1944 Dot K98 with the stamped parts along with the maple stock is about the lightest 98K I have ever held and when fired with the surplus German 196gn Nazi ammo is a real kicker, actually demonstrates the power of the 8mm over other military rounds really well.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

After the first few thousand rounds a mans shoulder limbers up. I haven't noticed recoil since the 1980's
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

etprescottazusa91 wrote:The Model 91 should have had the least recoil of all, interesting, any issues with your handguard slipping off? Let’s talk milsurp recoil, the Model 95 Mannlicher carbine in 8X56R tops all mentioned. Though on a side note, my late war 1944 Dot K98 with the stamped parts along with the maple stock is about the lightest 98K I have ever held and when fired with the surplus German 196gn Nazi ammo is a real kicker, actually demonstrates the power of the 8mm over other military rounds really well.
Nope handguard remained on the rifle, though it does has a little room to slide back and forth, maybe 1/2 inch between the barrel bands.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
Mike

Post by Mike »

I thought my Mosins had impressive recoil until recently, I had to sight in a shotgun ready for deer hunting in an area that did not allow rifles. Try shooting a 1oz slug on a bench rest - that sucker hurt!
1932 Izhevsk M91/30
1940 Tula M91/30
1941 Tula Nagant Revolver
1942 Tikka M91
1943 Izhevsk M91/30
1944 Izhevsk M44
1952 Polish M44
1954 Chinese T53
entropy

Post by entropy »

BTDT, Mike. Try a .416 Rem. Mag. off a bench, that'll wake you up in the morning..... :big shock:
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
awalker1829

Post by awalker1829 »

Holding the stock squarely against the shoulder helps a bit, but padding does help too. Took my M38 out on Saturday and had a blast at the local club range. There was this one truck that the alarm went off on every time I shot the carbine.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

I don't have a problem with rifle or shotgun recoil. I pull the thumpers in really tight. It doesn't give them a running start to pound you. I do however have a problem with high velocity light-weight alloy handguns. Sunday, I was shooting my Son's 2" .357 mag, and that sucker lets your hand know it.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

SA1911a1 wrote:I don't have a problem with rifle or shotgun recoil. I pull the thumpers in really tight. It doesn't give them a running start to pound you. I do however have a problem with high velocity light-weight alloy handguns. Sunday, I was shooting my Son's 2" .357 mag, and that sucker lets your hand know it.
Wow why post you said it all for me! Bill :D
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

For the most part.......

Recoil doesn't bother me much except two of my rifles.

1) Is a Enfield No.5 (Jungle Carbine). It has a pretty heavy load and you add to it that the butt plate is really a dried up and hard as a rock hunk of rubber (more like a rock). I recoil on that rifle.

2) On a .58 cal "Hawkins Hunter". It's a Hawkens rifle in .58 cal and with a "full load" and a conical, it pretty much causes devastation to my poor shoulders. Four rounds off each side and sometimes I'm black and blue from it. Very hard butt plate (solid brass). Will knock down just about anything, but hard to take.

Everything else, is pretty easy for me. Just pull it in tight!

Dolk
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

Have you ever checked the head space on the M91. Excessive recoil can be caused by too high chamber pressures you know too. Does it show any signs of high chamber pressures on the ammo after it is fired? Things like almost pressure flattened primers that look like light hits, wrinkles or cracks in the shells up toward the bullet end, light damage on the head of the bolt, broken extractors where the head suddenly shows up gone, hard to open bolts, and the list goes on. Generally when I feel a real kicker of a rifle, I mean out of the ordinary for the model, I am real careful around it and look at stuff real close after the range trip I discovered it. It can be an indication of excessive chamber pressures so I go back over things I have already measured again just in case something has changed or I missed something. M91's are usually very calm rifles to shoot one reason I enjoy them so much.

Other things that can effect recoil are the general overall tightness of a rifle, I mean one that has very little wear or is fitted with a new barrel. Ammo is also a great effector of the recoil too but I assume we all know that here. Certain rifles because I have such dang long arms seem to recoil the hell out of me because I have no where to fold my arms and hold the rifle into my shoulder without getting my arms in the way. The SKS comes to mind immediately along with the AK family. Vepr is the first one of those that I am comfortable shooting because I fitted a real long Saiga shotgun stock to mine. Actually after shooting Mosins for so many years I rarely feel too much difference between models because with age I shoot everything off the bench. Hope I gave you some ideas and you continue shooting and enjoying your Mosins. Bill :wink:
gregsteb

Post by gregsteb »

etprescottazusa91 wrote:The Model 91 should have had the least recoil of all, interesting, any issues with your handguard slipping off? Let’s talk milsurp recoil, the Model 95 Mannlicher carbine in 8X56R tops all mentioned. Though on a side note, my late war 1944 Dot K98 with the stamped parts along with the maple stock is about the lightest 98K I have ever held and when fired with the surplus German 196gn Nazi ammo is a real kicker, actually demonstrates the power of the 8mm over other military rounds really well.

I've shot many different milsurp bolt rifles and I'll agree on the M95. I really believe if the 8x56R ammo were readily available this would be a very sought after rifle. Kicks like a mule and has a muzzle blast that would make an M44 jealous. Everyone needs to at least shoot this rifle once. The straight pull is pretty cool also.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

zeebill wrote:
SA1911a1 wrote:I don't have a problem with rifle or shotgun recoil. I pull the thumpers in really tight. It doesn't give them a running start to pound you. I do however have a problem with high velocity light-weight alloy handguns. Sunday, I was shooting my Son's 2" .357 mag, and that sucker lets your hand know it.
Wow why post you said it all for me! Bill :D
If you shoot somebody at close range with one o them, the're hurtin, if you miss you still set 'em on fire :devil2:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

zeebill wrote:Have you ever checked the head space on the M91. Excessive recoil can be caused by too high chamber pressures you know too. Does it show any signs of high chamber pressures on the ammo after it is fired? Things like almost pressure flattened primers that look like light hits, wrinkles or cracks in the shells up toward the bullet end, light damage on the head of the bolt, broken extractors where the head suddenly shows up gone, hard to open bolts, and the list goes on. Generally when I feel a real kicker of a rifle, I mean out of the ordinary for the model, I am real careful around it and look at stuff real close after the range trip I discovered it. It can be an indication of excessive chamber pressures so I go back over things I have already measured again just in case something has changed or I missed something. M91's are usually very calm rifles to shoot one reason I enjoy them so much.

Other things that can effect recoil are the general overall tightness of a rifle, I mean one that has very little wear or is fitted with a new barrel. Ammo is also a great effector of the recoil too but I assume we all know that here. Certain rifles because I have such dang long arms seem to recoil the hell out of me because I have no where to fold my arms and hold the rifle into my shoulder without getting my arms in the way. The SKS comes to mind immediately along with the AK family. Vepr is the first one of those that I am comfortable shooting because I fitted a real long Saiga shotgun stock to mine. Actually after shooting Mosins for so many years I rarely feel too much difference between models because with age I shoot everything off the bench. Hope I gave you some ideas and you continue shooting and enjoying your Mosins. Bill :wink:
Bill, your post are always appreciated and your opinions respected. We are all lucky to have your experience to draw on.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum