YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID

Post by Longcolt44 »

This weekend was a meeting of the Ohio Gun Collectors Assn. Two or three hundred sellers is no big deal. What follows is what the owner of the gun shop I work at told me over the phone and later several other customer/members called. Today the crap hit the fan. A seller at the show was taking out a handgun from a glass case to show it to a prospective buyer and it went off, blowing off his thumb an bouncing off the concrete and lodged in another member's leg. In big letters everywhere you will see signs reminding you that ALL guns must have zip ties to stop any loading or firing. I can't wait for the media to spin this, it won't be good. Rumor said it that the thumbless guy had dropped the magazine and the gun slid into battery firing it. This should have never happened. We have a few members here that attend the meeting that may add to this.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
jimpierce7

Re: YOU CAN'T FIX STUPID

Post by jimpierce7 »

oh damn. Its so easy to keep things like this from happening, yet, they do.
BubbaDX

Post by BubbaDX »

The question is what will happen to these meetings. The venue's insurance will probably go up and there will most likely be more rules to follow. The rules for handling firearms are in place to assure things like this don't happen. Unfortunately it only takes a momentary distraction for these accidents to happen.
"The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants." - Albert Camus
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

Missed the meeting today Chuck, had to attend to family issues, try to go tomorrow and see if there is any new info.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Stupid ass son of a bitch, shoot yourself doing something stupid and shame on you, shoot me while you are doing something stupid and if I'm not dead you quickly will be. tripping over the cat and falling down the stairs is an accident, Negligently discharging a firearm in a venue were it is not supposed to be loaded and fingers should not be on the trigger is not an accident, it is criminal stupidity . Worse yet an uninvolved party was shot, that person did nothing wrong, was out for a day of pleasure and is now in a world of pain.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Miller Tyme wrote:Missed the meeting today Chuck, had to attend to family issues, try to go tomorrow and see if there is any new info.
If you find out anything please post it here. If you see Bob please tell him I had some other business I had to take care of and couldn't make Sunday, thanks.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

What type of firearm was it? Do you know?
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

bunkysdad wrote:What type of firearm was it? Do you know?
It was a handgun, caliber unknown at this time. If Miller goes tomorrow we may know more.
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

Longcolt44 wrote:
Miller Tyme wrote:Missed the meeting today Chuck, had to attend to family issues, try to go tomorrow and see if there is any new info.
If you find out anything please post it here. If you see Bob please tell him I had some other business I had to take care of and couldn't make Sunday, thanks.

Will do Chuck, for now I am trying to wind down after the Bungals found a new way to suck out loud! :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Miller Tyme wrote:
Longcolt44 wrote:

Will do Chuck, for now I am trying to wind down after the Bungals found a new way to suck out loud! :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk: :bonk:
I saw that too. Not only did the Bengals lose but I didn't win the Powerball 900 million.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Bengals were playing some thug football, enraged by their fans. They might have held em if not for those last 2 penalties.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Why would somebody try to sell a loaded gun? The potential customer could just shoot you and take it. Not to mention you could be a dumb fuckwad and shoot your own thumb off. Idiocy. :no2:
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Story is he was going to show it to a possible buyer and when he pulled it out to show he dropped the empty magazine and didn't know there was still one in the chamber. I have seen some of the same guns for sale over and over at this show. God only knows how many shows he did with this pistol until today.
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

It sounds like the classic semi-auto brain fart. "Clearing" a auto with a loaded mag in place, then dropping the mag. You have loaded a round into the chamber, cocked the action, then walk of fat and happy with your "unloaded" gun.

So the guy holds a gun, his body in front of the muzzle and his finger on the trigger. Dumb bastage. Every time he looks at his hand it will remind him about firearm safety.
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

Longcolt44 wrote:
Miller Tyme wrote:
Longcolt44 wrote:

I saw that too. Not only did the Bengals lose but I didn't win the Powerball 900 million.

Well Chuck, one look at the sh**y weather out side, and the 1/2 full bottle of Woodford on the bar has convinced me to stay how and watch some football today. :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I don't forgive stupid when it puts my life, or my friends lives at risk, I don't forget it either, and I punish it. I'm old school, there is very little about me that is touchy feely lets hug it out shit, a close look at that stupid fucks life will likely turn up a pattern of stupid behavior, sloppiness, and until now he has skated on pure luck without a serious incident. I have seen it time and again, and in the end there is always something like this, sometimes somebody ends up dead. There are no accidents with firearms and precious few with anything else, there is just a pattern of unsafe behavior that finally culminates in an incident. I tell this to every FNG I introduce to firearms, point to the table full of guns and ask them to pick the loaded one, they never know. They are all fuckin loaded asshole, every one, all the time and I don't give a shit if you, me and God almighty himself just checked them, they are all loaded, always. That's the number one rule of handling firearms of any kind no matter were you are, no matter who's guns they are, they are ALL LOADED, ROUND IN THE FUCKIN CHAMBER, COCKED, SAFETY OFF. Number two rule is you own every round that comes out of any firearm that is in your hand no matter who owns the firearms, it doesn't matter if some other idiot left the round in there, you pick it up, you own everything that happens with it and whatever comes out of it. People get dead real fast when somebody fails to follow the rules of firearms safely, some people can live with taking somebody else's life because of a negligent discharge, I don't think I could.
ALL GUNS ARE LOADED ALL THE TIME
YOU OWN EVERY ROUND THAT COMES OUT OF THAT WEAPON
finger OFF THE TRIGGER UNTIL YOU ARE READY TO FIRE
NEVER POINT A WEAPON AT ANYTHING THAT YOU DO NOT WANT TO DESTROY
ALWAYS KNOW WHAT IS BEHIND WHAT YOU SHOOT AT
SLOW COUNT TO 50 IF A ROUND FAILS TO FIRE , KEEP WEAPON ON TARGET
ALWAYS SECURE YOUR WEAPON
ALWAYS INSPECT YOUR WEAPON BEFORE LOADING AND FIRING
NEVER LET ME CATCH YOU TREATING YOUR WEAPON LIKE A TOY, FONDEL WHAT THE LORD GAVE YOU IF YOU MUST, BUT NEVER A FIREARM

There are other rules, but these are the big ones everyone who shoots with me learns, when gun people fuck up with a firearm it makes every one of us look bad, a blanket party has nothing on the beating thumbless would get from me after the hospital and cops got done with him if he was one of mine.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
ffuries

Post by ffuries »

I agree 100% JYD, when I am introducing someone to guns for the first time or showing an old hand the guns....I make a habit of over exaggerating the process of showing them the weapon is empty.

My first introduction to guns was by my father at age 8, and when I turned around after shooting his 44 magnum (First gun I ever shot, blood trickling down my forehead where the hammer hit me as the gun kicked back, I was a very scrawny 8 year old), and pointed the gun in his general direction. I caught a holy hell that I have never seen before, have never seen again, and would not ever want to see again. He scared me worse than my TI's ever did! I have carried that lesson with me since that day.

When taking people shooting I give a pre-brief at the house, then again at the range. I discuss hang-fires, squibs, failure to eject, failure to feed, range safety, etc. Teach them to raise their hand if they feel/hear/sense something different/wrong. Barrel always remains pointed down range, and when we pack up to leave, I remove the bolts from the rifles, clips from the pistols, or cylinder, rack and lock the pistols back. Case everything up for transport and take them home for a cleaning.
Mike
TSgt, USAF Retired
Jan 86 - Sept 08
Aircrew Life Support
"Your Life Is Our Business"
(122X0, 1T1X1, 1P0X1)
NRA Life Member
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

He needs to sell it, give it away, something...obviously one of those who have no business being around firearms. :2cents:
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

Idiots.

There was a similar incident here last year. Now the promotors require every gun to have a zip tie through the action and there are small notices everywhere stating all gun are kept zip tied to confirm being unloaded. This now applies to the carry guns of the vendors and is supposed to apply to ccw carriers entering the show.
Kollaa kestää
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I know a seller that was there at the show. He was selling a few items from the gun shop for us. I will most likely see him tomorrow and get the info on this. I carry every day all the time. More than once I have been half way out of the parking lot at the show and do an about face to take my gun back to the truck.