RIP 7.62x54mmR

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Earl Burlin

RIP 7.62x54mmR

Post by Earl Burlin »

I never thought I'd see the day.

Not in my life time at least. They said it would never happen. They said 7.62x54mmR ammunition would always be cheaper than .308 Winchester.

It seems now though, that those day are over. :big shock:

Here is a link to ammoseek.com showing the least expensive options for sale of 7.62x54mmR ammunition available on the internet.
http://ammoseek.com/ammo/7.62x54r

Here is a link to the same but for .308 Winchester.
http://ammoseek.com/ammo/308-winchester

Not counting the cheap plastic German training ammo in .308, you will see that the cheapest .308 FMJ ammo (Tulammo) is now notably cheaper than the cheapest 7.62x54mmR option which is made by Wolf. That's right, as of this writing, you would be hard pressed to find ANY 7.62x54mmR surplus ammunition for sale anywhere on the internet not counting the auction sites.

Times are a changing boys and girls.

Now you may wonder why this is, and how it can be happening. I have been monitoring the steady rise in price and drop in availability of x54R ammo for a few months now. After noting the trend, I decided to personally contact some of the largest surplus ammo importers regarding this. One importer told me that the current conflict in the Ukraine was the cause. They simply aren't exporting it, and supposedly, have no more plans to export it.

Ever.

So there you have it. .308 Winchester is now less expensive than 7.62x54mmR. I and probably many of you bough Mosin Nagant and other more modern rifles chambered in this round due to the cheap ammunition. Well, I hope you stocked up because it isn't cheap anymore... at least not compared to .308.

I just thought I should bring some attention to this. I believe the rather gradual nature of this situation has been missed by many. Thanks guys... it was fun while it lasted.

Goodbye 7.62x54mmR. :vsad:

Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Re: RIP 7.62x54mmR

Post by Longcolt44 »

I suggest you do more checking around. Southern Ohio Guns still has surplus in stock and listed. Here are some others also, http://gun-deals.com/list/ammo/7.62x54R.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

I miss the days of 880 round crates for under $50.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Earl Burlin

Post by Earl Burlin »

Longcolt44 wrote:I suggest you do more checking around. Southern Ohio Guns still has surplus in stock and listed. Here are some others also, http://gun-deals.com/list/ammo/7.62x54R.
It's just a short matter of time before that's exhausted too.
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Literally everything is getting more expensive. There is still time to buy milsurps-- selectively-- and to stock up on their fodder. But from here on out, prices will only go up. "Bargains" will be relative as weighed against the prevailing FMV. There will be the occasional great score, but from now on, one must deploy his assets carefully.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I have cases of it stashed away so I am good for my lifetime .
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:I have cases of it stashed away so I am good for my lifetime .

+1, got close to 10,000 rounds in my stash, the key is to stack it high and deep when it's cheap. :thumbsup:
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
MarksmanTim

Post by MarksmanTim »

I also loaded up on surplus when I first started collecting Mosins, which was not that many years ago. I don't remember the cheapest I paid per crate, but it was a good deal for the time. Since I don't fire a ton of surplus anymore, what I have I would consider darn close to a lifetime supply! I mostly shoot hand loaded brass, So I buy like 40-60 rounds of loaded ammo a year and then reuse the cases.
Tim

Favorites of the collection:
1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

MarksmanTim wrote:I also loaded up on surplus when I first started collecting Mosins, which was not that many years ago. I don't remember the cheapest I paid per crate, but it was a good deal for the time. Since I don't fire a ton of surplus anymore, what I have I would consider darn close to a lifetime supply! I mostly shoot hand loaded brass, So I buy like 40-60 rounds of loaded ammo a year and then reuse the cases.
Reloading is the way to go. Look what happened to the .303 British. Reloading is necessary for similar military rounds. I sure don't see any 6.5x55 Swedish surplus out there either. Have to reload that round as well.

I think it is a bit early to assume the demise of 7.62x54r surplus ammo. Since this is still a currently produced cartridge in widespread military use, I don't see it even going the way of the .303 Brit. I think it will be around for a long time to come.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Miller Tyme wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:I have cases of it stashed away so I am good for my lifetime .

+1, got close to 10,000 rounds in my stash, the key is to stack it high and deep when it's cheap. :thumbsup:
Your down to 10,000? You better grab some now while you still can!
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:
Miller Tyme wrote:

Nope, collect more than I shoot anymore, that ought to last me 4-5 years, at which time most of my collection will probably be sold off since it wont all fit on the boat. ;mywink;
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

I too collect more than I shoot and when I came across 7.62x54r that was different in someway I purchased it.

Here is some of it from last year, since then I have purchased a few more crates but of the common stuff.

Kollaa kestää
cleanneon98

Post by cleanneon98 »

Not only is it expensive, but i can't find it in stock anywhere, and I'm only sitting on one case!
1943 SAKO M39 SK.Y #505023
redeuce

Post by redeuce »

I have about 2500 rounds of 54r and 1100 rounds of 7. 62 Nagant. It looks like that will be all I need. Finally after years of pain, I went to a sports orthopedic surgeon. MRI on left shoulder shows 2 of the three tendons in rotator are severed, with atrophied muscles. Right shoulder shows significant tear in one tendon. Doc says he sees this a lot with stubborn, old guys that learn to live with pain like idiots, instead of getting things fixed right away. Plus arthritis in both. Right now, I can'teven lift a rifle into shooting position, and looking at 2 surgeries in 2016. Lotta rehab in between. Oh well.
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

at tax time I will be seeking two things this year. A new work vehicle, and ammo.
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

oh, and maybe a 91/59 if I see one..............
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I spoke with he owner of SOG today and asked him what he had. Suffice to say they have plenty. It 's not $99.00 per tin but there is plenty with more to come.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Miller Tyme wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:
Miller Tyme wrote:

Nope, collect more than I shoot anymore, that ought to last me 4-5 years, at which time most of my collection will probably be sold off since it wont all fit on the boat. ;mywink;
Why does it all have to fit on a boat? planning a midnight run for it using a boat? Simple solution, get a bigger boat .
Theodore Roosevelt
Sirex

Post by Sirex »

Lee-online wrote:I too collect more than I shoot and when I came across 7.62x54r that was different in someway I purchased it.

Here is some of it from last year, since then I have purchased a few more crates but of the common stuff.

There are 2 types of people who will react to that picture.

1. People who will go, "OMG!!!! Why does someone need that much ammo???!!! He's amassed an arsenal!!!"

2. People like me (like myself) who see that pic, and realize we are a little behind and need more.

But, I have kinda been concentrating on .308/7.62x51 lately.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

People consider that to be a lot? Oh boy...
Theodore Roosevelt