Degreasing a bulgy makarov

All hand guns welcome and discussed here.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus handguns or discussions on altering in this forum (On Military firearms only). Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
optikalillushun

Degreasing a bulgy makarov

Post by optikalillushun »

Got one of those bulgy makarovs from sog and its caked with "cosmoline". To the point i can barely rack the slide. What would be a good way to clean this ditry girl up?
To many to list, many more to get, not enough money :-D
Joeinthehills

Re: Degreasing a bulgy makarov

Post by Joeinthehills »

I think that it's just grease and not cosmoline. I use Varsol which is what automotive shops use to clean engine parts, but any good solvent should work, just remove the grips in case the type of solvent you use doesn't attack the plactic. :biggrin:
entropy

Post by entropy »

WD-40 works, which, BTW, is the only acceptable use for it on weapons, gasoline still works, though a bit extreme for unhardened grease..... :wink:
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
optikalillushun

Post by optikalillushun »

I k ow its not cosmoline, hence the " " but ya, its bad. I was thinking bout dunking it in a tub of mineral spirits to soften up so e the hardened grease so i can disassemble it. Meh, maybe i wont even bother with it n just store it as is n shoot my commerical mak.
To many to list, many more to get, not enough money :-D
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Seriously? You ain't getting off that easy. You need to clean it up, and check it out like any good used gun to make sure it is safe. Then get some ammo for it and have a great time.
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

I have to tackle this same problem in about a week when I get my Bulgarian Makarov from AIM. I know it is going to be caked in grease. I think my plan will be to field strip, disassemble slide parts (safety, firing pin, slide), and remove the grips. Then I plan to soak the frame and fire control assembly, slide and slide parts in a 50/50 mix of mineral spirits and K-1 Kerosene and blow out with an air gun. I'll see how bad' it is when I receive. Even AIM's web site says these things are coated with a liberal amount of grease.