I think I scored bigtime

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Fjordforder

I think I scored bigtime

Post by Fjordforder »

So I was talking with a friend on another forum (on which I`m infinitely more active) and he put me in contact with a buddy of his who was looking to sell a few rifles. I hung my head when I heard about $550 sporterized Enfields, but perked up a bit when I heard about $120 unmolested Mosins. Looking over his pictures I saw a fairly interesting nosecap. I talked him down to $100 and met this morning with a lovely M28/30 FOR A HUNDRED BUCKS. It`s got a little rust, mostly on the interior of the buttplate, around the muzzle and the magazine system. It`s dated to 1935 and was SK.Y. built off of a 1916 receiver according to the tang. It`s a fair bit dirty but the bore is clean and the trigger is fine. I`ll probably be spending the evening trying to work all the gunk out of the bolt, does anyone know of a good solution that`ll remove built up grime and old lube/oil? I`ve been instructed to boil the disassembled bolt in soapy water, it`s very tough to work and filled with sticky, green old oil.
Last edited by Fjordforder on Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It doesn`t matter who they are...
All that matters is what are you going to do when they come for you?
steelbuttplate

Re: I think I scored bigtime

Post by steelbuttplate »

The bolt looks about normal, you can also take it apart and use Hoppe's or WD-40 and an old toothbrush, it'll clean right up, coat lightly with gun oil. That's a helluva buy :thumbsup: I need some friends like yours :bwink: SBP
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Fjordforder

Post by Fjordforder »

Thanks! I guess I`m jaded because I baby my other Mosins (especially my first, my 1943 Izhevsk) to the point at which the mentioned rifle has a near-virgin bolt face and an action smoother than my Krag(!).
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

I like the metal. :thumbsup: The wood not so much.
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
Fjordforder

Post by Fjordforder »

Thank you. The wood needs a little work, too.
neal45

Post by neal45 »

It may be that someone used a degreaser and accidentally removed the Finn finish. I am speaking from experience. I used Purple Power to "clean" a stock on one of my first Mosins, a Finn 91/30. It took the finish off and taught me a lesson. Fortunately, I found the perfect stock later at a gun dealer, and it was quite cheap.

But you still got an incredible deal.
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

The original finish was beeswax and boiled linseed oil, so unless you can do that process, I'd just clean it put some lemon oil on ...put that can of poly back where it was :soapbox: ..SBP
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
entropy

Post by entropy »

$100? Didya kiss him too? How do you sleep at night? Seriously, Great scoop! :thumbsup: Boiling hot soapy water is among the best methods of removing the gunk you describe. As for the wood, lemon oil, linseed oil, or tung oil will give you a good looking, durable finish that approximates the original Finnish finish. (pun intended)
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Fjordforder

Post by Fjordforder »

Looks like I have lemon oil on hand. I'll be using hot soapy water to de-gunk the bolt and will be sending some rusty parts to a buddy foe ultrasonic cleaning. That just leaves the nosecap and muzzle for de-rusting: They'll probably be soaked in brake cleaner or WD-40. What do the experts say?
Fjordforder

Post by Fjordforder »

I forgot to mention, it's not import marked either. Anyone have any ideas as to how it got to the US?
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Fjordforder wrote:Looks like I have lemon oil on hand. I'll be using hot soapy water to de-gunk the bolt and will be sending some rusty parts to a buddy foe ultrasonic cleaning. That just leaves the nosecap and muzzle for de-rusting: They'll probably be soaked in brake cleaner or WD-40. What do the experts say?

I don't think anyone should deal with rust, I'll take that problem off your hands for you, nice score, best deal I have seen on a pretty nice looking rifle. :Drool1: :thumbsup:

Any firearm imported before 1968 will not have an import mark

Lemon oil works pretty good on old rifle stocks
Last edited by etprescottazusa91 on Sat Sep 05, 2015 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Fjordforder

I think I scored bigtime

Post by Fjordforder »

Pre 1968, huh? Good information, thanks.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Nice steal :Drool1: :thumbsup: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Fjordforder

Post by Fjordforder »

Thank you, it feels good to see the experts salivating, haha
Fjordforder

Post by Fjordforder »

Also, how long should I boil the bolt parts once it`s disassembled? I`ll be taking care of an unrelated project that should be a while.
Fjordforder

Post by Fjordforder »

Disregard the above post, job is done. Bolt works smoothly and cleanly now.
entropy

Post by entropy »

Best way I know of for removing rust without harming the bluing is boring, tedious and hard on your fingernails, but that's what I use; fingernails and Kroil or 3 in 1.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I have used Big 45 for almost 10 years on surface rust. It removes rust and will not harm bluing. http://www.big45.com
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Fjordforder

Post by Fjordforder »

I can actually ship everything but the muzzle and nosecap to a buddy for an ultrasonic cleaning.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

steelbuttplate wrote:The original finish was beeswax and boiled linseed oil, so unless you can do that process, I'd just clean it put some lemon oil on ...put that can of poly back where it was :soapbox: ..SBP

No wrong the original finish was more than likely Pomo Lacquer with a 28/30 and that is why the finish now looks spotty as the cleaner they used on it just took some of the finish off and not all of it. Some kind of oil will make it at least blend to the wood a bit and look not so spotty. I use Walmart Carb cleaner on metal parts and of course far away from the wood as it would take what little is left of the finish off the wood. You do this outside and with rubber throw away gloves, I try and find Nitrile constructed ones if possible from a outfit like Fastenal or another commercial outfit. The normal latex throwaways are useless with any decent solvent.

With the finish spotty like that I would almost be tempted to do the unspeakable and take the rest off. I will leave that at that as I hate to think about the results! :o For the money the gun has problems but you got an absolute steal with ammo to boot! It should be an excellent shooter but you should check the bore to see if it is a 308 bore or the usual 311 and this would be done by slugging the bore. Congrats on an absolute steal and enjoy the feeling for I think you will find they are few and far between. Bill ;mywink;