Think I may have found a Yogoslavian M38 referb

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Gsragtop

Think I may have found a Yogoslavian M38 referb

Post by Gsragtop »

The other night I was playing around on Gunbroker as I always do.. I found this auction With a crazy low BiN

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =495951572

I figured any m38 at that price was worth it, and this one had the stock cartouche intact which made me want to get a closer look. Today I picked it up from the ffl.

First thing is that it is a 1944 m38, and it has NO import marks. The stock has a bunch of stamp marks (none of which is TRZ1), and is finished in what seems to be an oil finish (which would be right for a yogo). The metal may have been reblued at one point in its life but that's from my untrained eye. However, I don't believe this was done state side as there is still a bunch of grease all over the metal and in the nooks and crannys. None of the numbers match, In fact the bolt has no serial number at all.

I was sending pics to Dave, and neither of us could figure the rifle out. I honestly was holding the rifle for a good five minutes and never noticed the until rear site which is in the white.

It is our guess it's a Yogislavian referb... What do you guys think ???

The only reference I have ever seen of one is from miller time who has a trz1 stamped m38.. Are there any others??

Ps sorry for the poor pics but as always i can't get good pics till my wife is not around.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Re: Think I may have found a Yogoslavian M38 referb

Post by Miller Tyme »

I will have to check the pics latter ( damn little phone screen) but it does seem very intresting. :thumbsup:
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

The bluing looks like a Yugo rebluing job, and the rear sight in the white + the stock finish sure help to support that conclusion. P.W. Arms imported a large amount of the Yugo M44's, who imported your M38 GS?
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
Gsragtop

Post by Gsragtop »

Miller Tyme wrote:The bluing looks like a Yugo rebluing job, and the rear sight in the white + the stock finish sure help to support that conclusion. P.W. Arms imported a large amount of the Yugo M44's, who imported your M38 GS?
No one, there are no import marks. Just part of the mystery ???
davesstuff1

Post by davesstuff1 »

:pointup: :pointup: :pointup: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :big shock: :big shock: :big shock: :pointup: :pointup: :pointup:
David M Gellatly
Savannah, GA. 31419
gellatlydave@yahoo.com
shoto2758

Post by shoto2758 »

congrads,heck of a price first of all.
would like to see some better pic's.
The Yugoslavian BP 124 in triangle on the stock somewhere would be a sure sign.
:thumbsup:
Do Not Think Of Winning.
Think,Rather,Of Not Losing

Gichin Funakoshi
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Very interesting.... And who can argue on the price?? Great find! :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Nice carbine and a hell of a price. Congrats :thumbsup: :thumbsup: