Mk 1 #3 mag.

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
steelbuttplate

Mk 1 #3 mag.

Post by steelbuttplate »

Just picked up a '43 Lithgow chopper with no mag, I thought I'd give a new Pro-mag magazine a try instead of a used dent & scratch ebay. Is anybody using one of these on a regular basis? it fit the gun ok, looks to be the right dimensions, but a real bitch to load. Chargers were a no go. I got it loaded with some trouble one at a time and let it sit. Maybe it needs breaking in and with use it will get easier, just wondered if anybody is using one and likes it..........SBP :wave.gif:
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
YankeeZulu

Re: Mk 1 #3 mag.

Post by YankeeZulu »

I have 2 Lithgows and went the scratch and dent eBay route for spare mags. I bought like 5. 2 won't feed properly no matter how slowly and methodically I work the bolt, the rest are fine. I know that doesn't really help you... just saying'.

I don't know much about SMLE ProMags, in fact nothing. Most mags these days are designed for a good couple thousand compressions, so programming the spring isn't really a viable option. Can you shorten the spring?
"Auribus Tenere Lupum"
steelbuttplate

Post by steelbuttplate »

This Pro mag cycled rounds perfect, I've not tried strippers again yet, I'm letting it sit some more. I'll let you know......SBP 67 MN's
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
ffeng31

Post by ffeng31 »

YankeeZulu wrote:I bought like 5. 2 won't feed properly no matter how slowly and methodically I work the bolt, the rest are fine. I know that doesn't really help you... just saying'.

I don't know much about SMLE ProMags, in fact nothing. Most mags these days are designed for a good couple thousand compressions, so programming the spring isn't really a viable option. Can you shorten the spring?

In case you were wondering, the Enfield only has a removable magazine so that the rifle can be unloaded with out having to cycle the bolt repeatedly to eject the rounds. The rifle is loaded from the top using stripper clips or by inserting individual rounds. A British soldier that was issued an Enfield only ever had the one magazine that the rifle came with.
Jim

YankeeZulu

Post by YankeeZulu »

Yeah I know. I've forgotten more about Lithgow SMLE's than most Enfield fans will ever know. I owned 4 Lithgows and one BSA at one point. I only beefed up my mag inventory because, well... why not? :twisted:
"Auribus Tenere Lupum"