Rifle with some history

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Gsragtop

Rifle with some history

Post by Gsragtop »

Won this on GB a few weeks ago, and just picked it up from my FFL yesterday. It's nicer then I hopped (although the bolt does not pull out any ideas).. I love the history I this one and cant wait to take it down and see its reciever date. Right now it hiding in my trunk, from my wife but enjoy these teaser shots from the auction (only four pics taken only two mattered probably why I paid $201 plus shipping).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lee-online

Re: Rifle with some history

Post by Lee-online »

That's a score of a neat rifle.
Pull the mag out and see if any debris is stopping the trigger from being pulled all the way back, if you cant see anything then pull the action out and see why the sear is not being pulled all the way down.
Kollaa kestää
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Hiding it from your wife........OK :facepalm2: Another dead man walking when she catches you at it. Better send it to me for safekeeping, I don't have much time at the moment but I will do you the favor this one time and stash it for you :biggrin: Better send your ammo supply for safekeeping also :twisted:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

You did good, very good.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
entropy

Post by entropy »

:Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: 8-) :thumbsup:
I can 'hide them in plain sight' from SWMBO. She doesn't know one milsurp from another. As long as she doesn't see all of them at once.... :wink:
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Ok, I am going to say you found a nice deal, unless your wife puts another 200 dollars worth of nickel knots on your head then you may be a little upside down.
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

Nice one! :thumbsup:
Gsragtop

Post by Gsragtop »

Finally got a chance to take some pics. I really like a nice honest rifle, and this one fits the bill perfectly. I am not able to tear it down to check out the tang date because there is a screw in front of the front band that will not allow me to move it. Any idea on that ?!

Also never noticed but it has one leather sling, and one metal sling hanger. Is that odd ??

Enjoy !!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Gsragtop

Post by Gsragtop »

More pics
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

I like it, it shows hard use and that is a really interesting in these old rifles.

For the seized screw, a good penetrating oil and time, work the screw back and forth but don't force it. soak, work it, soak and keep doing this until it frees up.

For penetrating oils, I like Deep creep, get it at auto part stores but there are many others that also work well.
Kollaa kestää
hudson29

Post by hudson29 »

I too enjoy these war year rifles. What is the circle on the but stock that looks like it might have had a round disk at some earlier time?
Vintage Paul

A man with a watch always knows what time it is. A man with two watches is never sure.
Gsragtop

Post by Gsragtop »

hudson29 wrote:I too enjoy these war year rifles. What is the circle on the but stock that looks like it might have had a round disk at some earlier time?
It's where the unit disk used to go, they are usually missing on Finn rifles for some reason.
zedteamk2

Post by zedteamk2 »

i love rifles with scratches etc... good catch
JoeZ

Post by JoeZ »

That is a great find. Good job!!!

I was caught by my wife going through my phone. I think I had texted a picture to a friend of my M44 when I first got it. Hopefully she doesn't read the forum!