SMLE nose cap help

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Uncle Nubbington

SMLE nose cap help

Post by Uncle Nubbington »

Hi all, looking for any advice from a No.1 Mk III expert. I purchased a sporterized LE last year with the idea of trying to put it back into original configuration. I want to make it as period correct as I can. For now, I am omitting the long range volley sight and I'm not going to install a unit disk because that doesn't seem right to me since I have no idea where it's been.

Long story short, the biggest cosmetic problem I have is I don't know what to look for to find the correct nose cap. I bought one I have currently is a placeholder.

Rifle: 1914 BSA No 1 Mk 3.

My nosecap lacks the stacking swivel screws. As far as markings, there is a serial number on the bayonet mount. Squared off sight protectors. No indication of manufacture.

Anybody know about these? I really like shooting this rifle and I'd like it to look as close to original as I can. Below are pictures of the nosecap and the overall rifle. Your help is appreciated.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429978751.816894.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429978767.712600.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429978777.562470.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429978789.167471.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429979098.157484.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429979113.940595.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tjtM38

Re: SMLE nose cap help

Post by tjtM38 »

I'm in the process of restoring an Ishapore 1940 No 1 MkIII. I am going through the same issue and would like to keep the gun as close to Ishapore standard as I can. I just got most of my parts and the nose cap I got is a rounded type which is probably more appropriate for a British or Australian manufacture. Yours looks like a square type which is more appropriate for the Indian manufacture Ishapore. Nice rifle you have; I hope I can get mine close to that nice when I am done with it. Bubba chopped the forestock and front handuard off on mine, but luckily, the barrel, sight and action are all original and intact.
ffeng31

Post by ffeng31 »

The nosecap you have is for an Indian Enfield 2a or 2a1. Your rifle should wear a nosecap with the rounded ears.
Jim

millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

You guys should swap.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Uncle Nubbington

tjtM38 wrote:I'm in the process of restoring an Ishapore 1940 No 1 MkIII. I am going through the same issue and would like to keep the gun as close to Ishapore standard as I can. I just got most of my parts and the nose cap I got is a rounded type which is probably more appropriate for a British or Australian manufacture. Yours looks like a square type which is more appropriate for the Indian manufacture Ishapore. Nice rifle you have; I hope I can get mine close to that nice when I am done with it. Bubba chopped the forestock and front handuard off on mine, but luckily, the barrel, sight and action are all original and intact.
Those Ishapores are nice! Good luck with it. Did your Bubba leave the top rear hand guard? Mine didn't and that one was hard to find. I only kept the buttstock. Hey, at least they didn't cut down the barrels though. I understand this happens a lot and I didn't know that till after I bought it. Would have been SOL on that one! All in all, it's a really fun project and really rewarding in the end. I still need a proper sling and cleaning kit and of course the right nose cap. Did score a nice 1916 Wilkinson bayonet for a steal.

I'm wondering... On a late No 1 Mk III like you have, did they still use that magazine cutoff? I put one on mine but I'm not sure if you would on yours. My understanding is this was omitted along with volley sights in the No 1 Mk III*. I'm just not sure about the Ishapore ones manufactured later. Like yours.
Uncle Nubbington

ffeng31 wrote:The nosecap you have is for an Indian Enfield 2a or 2a1. Your rifle should wear a nosecap with the rounded ears.
I'd be happy to. It'd be a closer placeholder cosmetically, and he could have one that'd work for his. I've got a handful of unissued cross screws and I'd throw one in too. Numrich didn't have those but I bought 6 of them from some guy in England.

tjtm38 hit me up if you want to arrange a swap. Seems like win win for both of us.
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

ffeng31 wrote:The nosecap you have is for an Indian Enfield 2a or 2a1. Your rifle should wear a nosecap with the rounded ears.
Was the square type only for the 2a or 2a1? If so, I may have gotten the correct round type for restoration of my No 1 Mk III.
ffeng31

Post by ffeng31 »

tjtM38 wrote:
Was the square type only for the 2a or 2a1? If so, I may have gotten the correct round type for restoration of my No 1 Mk III.
Yes the square eared variant was a later piece, and as far as I know, only used on the 2A and 2A1 .308 rifles . I have a 1937 Ishapore , chambered in .303 , and it has rounded ears.
Jim

1895mosin

Post by 1895mosin »

I found that Ian Skennerton in Australia quite helpful with British military arms.
He is very prompt with answers.

www.skennerton.com/
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

ffeng has it right. You need a rounded top ear. Should be around several places. He is also correct on the ishapore cap current. There are early types for the smle (prior to the no1 proper) They have a curved inside. You need the later version for yours. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Many early No 1 rifles went thru upgrades later that eliminated parts such as the stacking swivel on the nose cap, where the rifle ended up will also help determine correct configuration, BSA rifles sent to Australia, for example, are often configured differently, replaced the stocks with coachwood, the Aussies eliminated the ID disk stuff like that, got a pic of the receiver markings?
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933