VC capture

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
steelbuttplate

VC capture

Post by steelbuttplate »

I have had a '59 Ghost rifle for several years, it was rusty so I cleaned it up good, took it apart, cleaned and oiled. It shoots a little better than other Chi-coms, all the bluing is gone from this thing and the stock is about 5% oil. Ben in the Monsoons 1000 days and nights.Toe of buttstock worn from dragging in tunnels. It has no import marks, no DOD papers, it does have an old OD tag hanging on it saying "Viet Cong, Quang Nam, Apr 26 1969"
Is their anyone who would certify this as a VC weapon? with out the gov.t paperwork it's worth about half ..........SBP
" There are two kinds of people, the good people and the ones that aggravate the hell out of the good people"
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: VC capture

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

No import mark? Pretty much the only way a type 53 made it into the US before the import mark era or the late 1980's when the Chinese started selling them here is if the rifle was captured .
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:No import mark? Pretty much the only way a type 53 made it into the US before the import mark era or the late 1980's when the Chinese started selling them here is if the rifle was captured .
I believe he's talking about an SKS Jim.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Oh, I have one of the Chinese models captured in Vietnam, '68 during Tet, no import mark on that one either. When I think about the were and when and the things going on at the time of that rifles capture it gives my the shivers.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
rayjd2

Post by rayjd2 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Oh, I have one of the Chinese models captured in Vietnam, '68 during Tet, no import mark on that one either. When I think about the were and when and the things going on at the time of that rifles capture it gives my the shivers.
So I'm not the only one with a haunted gun? My Mosin makes my skin crawl. Can't explain why, guess they've got a body count. Sadly, body counts don't win wars, nor do politicians.

Thank you, to all the veterans on the board, even if that thanks comes from a heathen child such as myself. It's always an honor and a privilege to shake your hands. Wear your hats, so that more might thank you!
Things could be worse. Work to keep from finding out how much worse.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

They are all haunted once you closely examine the history they were a part of.
Theodore Roosevelt
martin08

Post by martin08 »

steelbuttplate wrote:I have had a '59 Ghost rifle for several years, it was rusty so I cleaned it up good, took it apart, cleaned and oiled. It shoots a little better than other Chi-coms, all the bluing is gone from this thing and the stock is about 5% oil. Ben in the Monsoons 1000 days and nights.Toe of buttstock worn from dragging in tunnels. It has no import marks, no DOD papers, it does have an old OD tag hanging on it saying "Viet Cong, Quang Nam, Apr 26 1969"
Is their anyone who would certify this as a VC weapon? with out the gov.t paperwork it's worth about half ..........SBP
From what you describe, it is in the highest likelihood a bringback. Before the importation of early Chinese SKS's from Albania in 2012, the Chinese guns with 'serial-numbers-only' were all found without import marks, leaving little doubt of their SE Asian connection.

However, most Chinese guns without papers don't seem to share the same celebrity as guns such as WWII era German Mausers without papers.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
OLd_Sarg

Post by OLd_Sarg »

I have one rifle also that seems to be whispering, "I have seen a lot that no one should see".

none of my other rifles seem to have the "presence" this one has............ just weird! :vconfused:
maybe I have had too much spam or beer or both maybe :shock:

It is an SKS also;
I was going to seal the stock where it has been damaged,
but no it will stay like it is and I will shoot it and clean it and wonder about it more than I should.

I have never made a post like this before, if I was reading this would say "OLd_Sarg did you forget your meds?, go to bed you old coot!" :bonk:

SKhiSm 59-66

Post by SKhiSm 59-66 »

OLd_Sarg wrote:I have one rifle also that seems to be whispering, "I have seen a lot that no one should see".

none of my other rifles seem to have the "presence" this one has............ just weird! :vconfused:
maybe I have had too much spam or beer or both maybe :shock:

It is an SKS also;
I was going to seal the stock where it has been damaged,
but no it will stay like it is and I will shoot it and clean it and wonder about it more than I should.

I have never made a post like this before, if I was reading this would say "OLd_Sarg did you forget your meds?, go to bed you old coot!" :bonk:
On the contrary OLd_Sarg that guy deserves some more attention. How would you feel about starting a thread and put some more pics of that rifle up ? I'd like to see more of it, don't want to hijack this thread. In any case, thanks for sharing :thumbsup:
"And at this range, I'm a real Frederick Zoller"
Bareassmeagain

Post by Bareassmeagain »

Yes I agreeeeee !! Please don't fall asleep yet Old Sarge. Post more of them War Ridden pics of that old girl ! :wink:
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

These carbines have the feeling of the haunted past more than some others perhaps, maybe same as bring back K98 Mausers because we know that likely the lives lost to them were American. This is how I feel about them, a certain cautious reverence for their victims that I don't feel for other milsurps on such a personal level.
walnut red

Post by walnut red »

I have two firearms that I feel just the opposite about and on is a 36 Tula 91/30. It's hard to imagine a Mosin from that era not seeing some combat but thew hen I take it to the range I get positive vibes, like it's happy to be shooting again.
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

I have a 1967 Yugo sks with a bit of trench art that makes me think of the horrors that went on during and since that rifle was built. Nothing good happened in those conflicts.
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
-George Washington