N.E.W. M91, 1916 Meriden Stock Cartouche

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
martin08

N.E.W. M91, 1916 Meriden Stock Cartouche

Post by martin08 »

Don't know why the odd ones seem to find me, but I won't argue.

Judging by the serial number, this New England Westinghouse M91 was likely built in 1916, while the contract with Russia was still valid. But it doesn't appear to have been shipped out of the U.S. No other marks from another country, and no import marks.

It's constructed entirely of N.E.W. parts. The barrel serial number is lined out. The bolt is not numbered, and not scrubbed, it just never received a number. The floorplate is blank, which is usual. And the buttplate number on the gorgeous dark walnut stock matches the barrel.

This gun shows some moderate wear and tear on the bolt and in the receiver channel. The bore is good to excellent, but shows that it has been fired. And surprisingly, by the wear pattern on the muzzle end, it appears to have donned a bayonet many times. But overall, it is in great shape for a century old piece.

Oh, the oddest thing. It doesn't have the usual English Contract identification on the left buttstock. Instead, it has a very crisp and rarely encountered Meriden Arsenal cartouche on the right side, dated 1916.

Pics, enjoy, and thanks for looking folks.

Last edited by martin08 on Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
Knuckledragger

Re: N.E.W. M91, 1916 Meridan Stock Cartouche

Post by Knuckledragger »

Oh my!!! Veeeery nice rifle, sir.
Love that stock cartouche!
gurn

Post by gurn »

All around gorgeous! Amazing stock.
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Wow. Where do you find this stuff???
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

That's a beauty.

Why did the Meridan factory use a different cartouche?
Kollaa kestää
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Very nice. Any guesses on the lined-out serial?
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

Great rifle Matt, I like that a lot.
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
martin08

Post by martin08 »

millman wrote:Wow. Where do you find this stuff???
Didn't you read the first line of the post? It found me! :lol:

A fellow who restores guns for museums gave me a jingle. Not a usual specimen for him.
Lee-online wrote:That's a beauty.

Why did the Meridan factory use a different cartouche?
Dunno? It is quite scarce. The only other one I have seen is pictured on http://62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinMarks01.htm Row 29 :Column C.

But Charles Clawson, author of American-Made Mosin Nagant Rifles, states that the first Meriden production began as trial rifles, beginning around serial number 508,000.

This serial is slightly before that mark - which might explain the lined out number? Maybe it was a 'pre-trial' trial rifle. :wink:
JoeR

Post by JoeR »

Wow I love it ! :Drool1: I'm looking for a MN from the Great War era that is in my price range. That's the sticking point. :lol:
Great score, congrats !
If at first you don't succeed, reload and try again.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: N.E.W. M91, 1916 Meriden Stock Cartouche

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Bayonet use would indicate it was used in training by somebody. State guard, plant guard, even Hollywood movie use. Maybe a company executive who took it home and used it to stab things in the garden.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

martin08 wrote:
millman wrote:Wow. Where do you find this stuff???
Didn't you read the first line of the post? It found me! :l
A fellow who restores guns for museums gave me a jingle. Not a usual specimen for him.

Touche. Another damn fine specimen.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Tennessee_Mosin
Location: Middle Tennessee/North Alabama/Northeast Mississippi (The Tri-land)

Post by Tennessee_Mosin »

:Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1:
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Nice, you have some very nice friends.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

That is real nice Matt. I thought you were gonna say it was a yard sale find. :P
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Trying to decipher Clawson's chronology....

.... best I can conclude from his description of the phasing out of the Stevens Hill plant in Chicopee Falls (April - June, 1917), and through the start up transition of the final assembly plant in Meriden, the original (Stevens Hill) Large Curved Logo design was used on roughly 6,000 trials rifles at Meriden (about 6 days of production). When regular contract production was assumed, the straight line logo was utilized to the end of New England Westinghouse manufacturing.

These trial rifles received the Meriden stock cartouche. Clawson's serial range for the trial rifles are estimated at 508,000 through 514,000. But he also states that tooling and employees were shifted from Stevens Hill to Meriden, and perhaps my barrel with the curved Stevens logo and the 501,000 serial was also brought over from Stevens, or trial rifle production started a little earlier than Clawson estimated.
docbob

Post by docbob »

Beautiful NEW rifle and excellent photos as usual. Thanks for sharing!
davesstuff1

Post by davesstuff1 »

:big shock: :big shock: :big shock: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :pointup: :pointup: :pointup:
David M Gellatly
Savannah, GA. 31419
gellatlydave@yahoo.com
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

That's a damn fine rifle you got there. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Sweet :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

That cartouche is phenomenal. Great find! :thumbsup: :Drool1: