Frozen Mosin's

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
bimmey

Frozen Mosin's

Post by bimmey »

February 21, 2015 Pleasant River Fish and Game in Columbia Falls Maine will be holding their Frozen Mosin Shoot. Lots of Mosins to see, homemade soups and stews to eat, fun to be had. Last year the events were 200 yard gong competition, 100 yard target shoot. Five rounds standing, five rounds sitting or kneeling, five rounds prone. Best score gets a prize and bragging rights. Also speed shooting (five rounds) at 25'.

Even though its a six hour drive for me, its an excuse to go shooting, and Mosin camaraderie makes it worth it.

Hey Johnny Boy. Will I see you this year?
Don't shoot that antique rifle! You could put an eye out!!
Garrett46and2

Re: Frozen Mosin's

Post by Garrett46and2 »

That's awesome! Thats too far away for me though. I'm jealous. I wonder if they do anything like that here in Texas... definantly going to look into it.
My Mosin Nagants

Tula 1930 M91\30 Ex-Dragoon

Izhevsk 1943 M91\30 PU Sniper
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

My frozen Mosin shoot is usually held in the driveway and followed by an old man's waddle back into the semi-warm shop! Sorry but I am a bit too old and fragile these days but if I was 10 years younger that would have been sounding like fun. I would have brought the RV27 and shot with it as it is just hitting awfully good for me these days? Have Fun Younguns! Bill
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Yeah, too far for this Texas guy too. It sure would be a lot of fun.
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

I pretty much much gave up shooting in inclement weather and the cold when I left the colors. But I encourage you all to go and freeze off your heinies.
:lol:
"And beneath the starry flag, we civilized them with a Krag..."
jonnyboy091373

Post by jonnyboy091373 »

Heck yes I'm going to be there! :) looks like I need to practice more... And decide which mosin to bring. It is a fun time, and anyone who can make it should. It's kind of like the winter war. Lots of dufferent Russian mosin, and a good handful of Finnish. My mistake last year was switching ammo halfway through the shoot. (Excuses)
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

I sure would like to do this if it werent 12 hours away. We need to setup one of these in the Midwest.
rayjd2

Post by rayjd2 »

I need to take mine out tonight. 25* F feels like 10*F. Wind is 18mph from the North. So cold.
Things could be worse. Work to keep from finding out how much worse.
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

rayjd2 wrote:I need to take mine out tonight. 25* F feels like 10*F. Wind is 18mph from the North. So cold.
It was -12 here last night with a wind chill of -35. Still -10 and -30 wind chill on my way to work. Trust me Id kill for "feels like 10".
rayjd2

Post by rayjd2 »

Oh I bet! But it rarely gets much under freezing here, so when the windchill got to 1* last night, it was cold for us!
Things could be worse. Work to keep from finding out how much worse.
bimmey

Post by bimmey »

The fact that it is in Northern Maine in the dead of winter makes it a real challenge. Especially laying prone on the frozen ground. Jonnyboy, I here you about the ammo. My M39 seems to favor the Tula ammo. -8 degrees this am , hope it warms up before the shoot!
Don't shoot that antique rifle! You could put an eye out!!
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

bimmey wrote:The fact that it is in Northern Maine in the dead of winter makes it a real challenge. Especially laying prone on the frozen ground. Jonnyboy, I here you about the ammo. My M39 seems to favor the Tula ammo. -8 degrees this am , hope it warms up before the shoot!
Sad when its colder in Indiana than in Maine. This polar vortex nonsense can go away now. Ill just take regular winter.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I put one of my M27s in the window for a while tonight, -3 degrees, it didn't ask to go outside so I didn't take it any further.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!