1897 Winchester Slam-Fire Shotgun Need help...

Everything shotgun discussed here.
Pureform

1897 Winchester Slam-Fire Shotgun Need help...

Post by Pureform »

So i purchased this 1897 Winchester shotgun today for $250 otd dated 1910 and I'm confused... I bought this thinking I'm 100 percent sure i can shoot 2 3/4 shotgun shells but now I'm not so sure...Doesn't even have a marking what shell I can chamber... Reading online people say yes and some say 2 1/2... Also it has a full choke but its safe to shoot 00 buckshot right?

Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: 1897 Winchester Slam-Fire Shotgun Need help...

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It should be 2 3/4" unless it's 2 5/8" Every one I have ever seen was 2 3/4", the older 1893 shotgun had the smaller shells, one of the 1897's improvements was to open it up to use the longer shells. Nice find, and a good price.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Pureform

Post by Pureform »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:It should be 2 3/4" unless it's 2 5/8" Every one I have ever seen was 2 3/4", the older 1893 shotgun had the smaller shells, one of the 1897's improvements was to open it up to use the longer shells. Nice find, and a good price.

How can i tell its 2 3/4 or 2 5/8? It has alittle pitting inside the barrel looks maybe alittle deep but not sure hard to tell... Also people say shoot light loads and dont shoot 00 buck in the full choke.. Its fine to shoot right?
entropy

Post by entropy »

AFAIK, all 97's are 2 3/4. As for the slam fire; They do not have a disconnector-one can hold the trigger down and fire it by pumping until empty. Perhaps this is what you meant? The WIn. Mod. 12 had the same feature. They were (and are) popular trench/riot guns because of this.

Full choke is Ok with buck-not with slugs.

I find them for that price or @$300 a lot, always with 30" full.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Jbob

Post by Jbob »

Man that sure is a nice Winchester, trench gun was the first thing that crossed my mind when I saw it.....I'd probably reload something light for that one myself or have a good Smith look it over and see what he says.
I'd bet JYD has a trencher or maybe even more. :Drool1:
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

If you want something light then I would think the Winchester and Federal target loads that Walmart sells in the 100 pack would be ok. Why do you want to shoot buck shot, are you going hunting with it? Home defense? How long is the barrel? I love these shotguns
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Jbob wrote:Man that sure is a nice Winchester, trench gun was the first thing that crossed my mind when I saw it.....I'd probably reload something light for that one myself or have a good Smith look it over and see what he says.
I'd bet JYD has a trencher or maybe even more. :Drool1:
I do have a '97 trench gun, and it only eats ordinary 00 buck 2 3/4" shells. I am sure it could eat slightly more powerful shells but the ordinary buck is what I buy in bulk, it's cheaper. I also have a Model 1893 bird gun, and a Model 12 trench gun.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Pureform

Post by Pureform »

bunkysdad wrote:If you want something light then I would think the Winchester and Federal target loads that Walmart sells in the 100 pack would be ok. Why do you want to shoot buck shot, are you going hunting with it? Home defense? How long is the barrel? I love these shotguns

Well cause i cant always get to the outdoor range where we aloud to shoot any shotgun ammo... All my indoor ranges only allow 00 buckshot so i dont really have a choice.... So wanna make sure im good cause another forum people say only light loads and im thinking this is auch a strong shotgun why only light loads...

Plus i saw rust in the barrel so i cleaned it out real good and has alot of pitting but what worries me is the rust around the area where the shell opens up...im guessing thats the chamber? Should it still be ok....

Otherwise i love this rifle too and love the brown patina this whole rifle has......
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Hmmm, I am not really sure but I have bought buck shot 2 3/4" rounds that were not magnum loads. I would continue to seek out more info from someone who can say for sure or perhaps contact Winchester. I just think it is a wonderful looking shotgun. When you do make it to the outdoor range you will have a blast shooting clay pigeons with that one. :P
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Not a rifle, this is a gun, if the pitting is light you should be OK, but craters of the moon pits and it's a wallhanger. I have shot countless rounds of 00 buck in mine, this is the round a military trench gun uses. This isn't part of my milsurp collection or some museum relic I keep under glass, I use this gun as a defensive weapon, it's the best shotgun I own and can lay down a field of fire faster than my autoloader.
Theodore Roosevelt
Pureform

Post by Pureform »

So i fired the 2 3/4 00 buckshot about 50 rounds and they fired fine but i had ejection issues... looks like they wont eject fully unless i pump it real hard and barely come out... kinda looks like the shells are alittle to long and getting stuck? What you guys think?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

2 3/4 and 2 5/8 shells are what they used, mostly 2 3/4. Something is out of whack with the extractor or ejector, examine them carefully for anything that looks weak or worn.
Theodore Roosevelt
entropy

Post by entropy »

Polishing the chamber might help, then I'd look into replacing the right extractor, plunger and spring, then the left extractor.
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien