Type 99 Arisaka - Series 37 Tokyo Juki Kogyo

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Lotema

Type 99 Arisaka - Series 37 Tokyo Juki Kogyo

Post by Lotema »

Yup, something a little bit different for me! :D

I've been looking at this Type 99 Arisaka for pretty close to a year now, down at one of the local shops. I'd go in and look it over ever few months but always handed it back and continued my search for Mosins. Well, they finally started dropping the price on it so I became more and more interested. I ordered a book or two on the Arisakas and started doing some more research about them. There is still way more that I don't know but heck, there's still plenty that I'm learning about Mosins as well! I don't plan on collecting these like I have been doing with the Russian stuff but maybe two pieces. One early war piece that's in pristine condition and one like this, a later "Last Ditch" type rifle. Like I mentioned, I don't know tons about these so if I get anything wrong, please correct me!

The series, serial number and arsenal for this particular Type 99 Arisaka. This one is a Tokyo Juki Kogyo Series 37 (Subcontracted from Kokura). From what I understand, the Series 37 was the final run of rifles for the arsenal and around 57,000 rifles were produced. As you can see, this rifle would have been very close to the end of the final run.

The right side of the rifle.

The left side of the rifle.

Right side of the front barrel band area. The first type of band would have been secured with three screws, one up front, and two in the back (one on each side). This one is a later production with only two screws.

Later war front sight without the protective ears.

Left side of the front barrel band area.

Rear band retainer. (Left side)

The rear sight is later war / transitional. It no longer has the anti-aircraft wings on it.

Rear band retainer (Right Side)

The rear barrel band holds together (and hides) the two piece stock. The fore-end of this one is a separate piece from the rest of the stock. What is interesting is that at some point it was apparently dove tailed together though that is now broken. I haven't read anywhere that they were joined like this but then again, I don't know a ton about these either. The barrel band does a good job of holding it all in place, surprisingly so.

The chrysanthimum on the receiver. Typically the mum would have been ground off or defaced before beign allowed out of Japan.

The right side of the butt stock.

Wood butt plate held in place with three small nails. Originally the butt plate would have been metal but as the war went on and resources became scarcer, wood was used. Later production dropped from using three nails to only using two.

Left side of the butt stock. This has the simplified single screw rear sling swivel.

The bolt release.

What's interesting is that the bolt safety knob is the knurled type. Considering how late production this rifle is, I wouldn't have expected that nice piece of fit and finish.

bolt fence

The two serial numbers that I found on the bolt do both match the rifle serial number. Sorry for the flurry photo on this one..

Rifle on the fence.
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
Titanium Hammer

Re: Type 99 Arisaka - Series 37 Tokyo Juki Kogyo

Post by Titanium Hammer »

I know absolutely 0 about these but I'm glad I finally get to see it after hearing you talk about it for so long. I really like the wood on this one and the mum is cool! 8-) :thumbsup:
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Nice, the mum not being ground and the way it is cut actually points to a bring back. Soldiers, sailors etc would cut them like that so it would fit in a duffle or sea bag. No import stamp would further point to this.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

Longcolt44 wrote:Nice, the mum not being ground and the way it is cut actually points to a bring back. Soldiers, sailors etc would cut them like that so it would fit in a duffle or sea bag. No import stamp would further point to this.
I can certainly believe the bring back scenario, adds some interest to the piece for me. Do you think that it would have been a GI done duffle cut though vs the late war separate piece fore-end from the arsenal? The finish in the "cut" area seems to be pretty much the same as the rest of exterior.
Lotema
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I would lean more to a bring back. The factory stocks in two pieces like yours have the nose cap welded to to barrel. They had to cut it like that in order to be able to put the front half in. This was the beginning of the cutbacks they had to make late in the war.
ffeng31

Post by ffeng31 »

I am going to guess it is an early "last ditch" as it still sports a complete rear sight and a finished bolt. Very nice piece. The intact mum and lack of import mark definitely say "bring back" to me. Oh and you can say all day long that you will stop at 2 . Good luck with that... I started with a type 99 as well. That blossomed into a last ditch, a type 38 long rifle, and a type 38 carbine ...Now I just need a type 44 and a paratrooper carbine... Oh , and a Nambu..
Jim

Lotema

Post by Lotema »

ffeng31 wrote:I am going to guess it is an early "last ditch" as it still sports a complete rear sight and a finished bolt. Very nice piece. The intact mum and lack of import mark definitely say "bring back" to me. Oh and you can say all day long that you will stop at 2 . Good luck with that... I started with a type 99 as well. That blossomed into a last ditch, a type 38 long rifle, and a type 38 carbine ...Now I just need a type 44 and a paratrooper carbine... Oh , and a Nambu..
Lol! Yeah, I was only going to get one or two Mosins too and that sure didn't quite go according to plan! I'm trying to branch out a bit more and am working on getting at least one rifle from all the major WWI and WWII players. I'm working to find my Enfield No 1 Mk III next.

The main thing that'll be keeping me from collecting the Type 99 more heavily will be the fact that the ammo is made out of unobtainium. There's only one local place that very occasionally has it. Until I start reloading it, I'm not too tempted to keep getting more!
Lotema
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Sweet. Dang you guys on the west side ...Let that stuff filter to the east. :thumbsup: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :Drool1: :Drool1:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Broken links to the pics.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Broken links to the pics.
:oops: Should be "fixed now. Photobucket said I exceeded the maximum monthly bandwidth for the free account. I popped up $2 for the month and got some more. Jeez..
Lotema
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

Very nice TJK, Lotema! One of the nicer "last ditch" rifles I've seen. The most interesting aspect to me is the buttplate of all things. Your serial number suggests that it should be cupped edge sheet metal, but you can clearly tell the wood one is original to the stock. The safety is correct according to my notes. Your rifle would be in that range that could have either the notched knurled type or the welded type.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :Drool1: :vcool:
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Nice rifle :thumbsup:

You'll notice the series 37 substitute standard 99 is not as "last ditch" as some last ditch come. Your rifle still retains an adjustable rear site, full length handguard over the barrel, nicer front barrel band just to name a few things. Tokyo Juki Kogyo was making a much nicer rifle at the end than some of the other manufactures.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

Thanks guys. I've been learning a bit more about this one and I was certainly wrong about the whole "Last Ditch" moniker, totally my lack of knowledge. I made some assumptions about WHEN the series 37 was made and well, I was flat wrong!

One thing I found is that the serial on the firing pin and the safety handle unfortunately do not match the rest of the rifle and bolt parts. As to why, well, your guess is as good as mine is. The other curious thing is that there really are no extra inspection marks that I can find on other metal parts or on the stock. One of the books I've been referencing seems to indicate that there should be at least a couple more hiding out. I could be missing them, my eyes are bad but I don't think they are that bad!

All I need to do now is actually find some 7.7x58 around here. Gonna try the show up in Monroe this weekend and see if the ammo guy there has it. Probably have better luck in Puyallup but that show isn't until the end of next month.
Lotema
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

desdem12 wrote:Sweet. Dang you guys on the west side ...Let that stuff filter to the east. :thumbsup: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :Drool1: :Drool1:
It gets here Des. You just have to go to private gun sales and bid more than $1.47. I started with one and I now have 7. I think they multiply like Mosins.
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Longcolt44 wrote:
desdem12 wrote:Sweet. Dang you guys on the west side ...Let that stuff filter to the east. :thumbsup: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :Drool1: :Drool1:
It gets here Des. You just have to go to private gun sales and bid more than $1.47. I started with one and I now have 7. I think they multiply like Mosins.
For me, these multiply worse than Mosins and most everything else for that matter.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
jeremyb

Post by jeremyb »

Very nice. They are fun to shoot as well
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I would have bid 12.34 on that rifle for sure. But I meant the east side of Washington, the place where we DONT melt guns for peace bricks :shock: :lol:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

desdem12 wrote:I would have bid 12.34 on that rifle for sure. But I meant the east side of Washington, the place where we DONT melt guns for peace bricks :shock: :lol:
I would have been happy to get this one for $12.34, wish it had been that cheap. I can promise though, this one won't be getting melted down into a peace brick! What I don't get is why are all the guns over here with all the anti-gun hippies? Just doesn't make much sense. With I-594 coming up for a vote in 2 months, there might not be that many left over here either...
Lotema
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Peace brick? A brick made from steel? Don't they realize what a good blunt object that makes for bashing in commie skull's? I'll give them a piece of the brick all right!
Theodore Roosevelt