Very Late 1949 TulaRefurb.

Discussion of the SKS platform of semi auto rifles

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
OLD OUTLAW

Very Late 1949 TulaRefurb.

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

OK, gotta put a pic or two here in our new section. Don't have many on this gun to show.
It is not an original 1949first issue at all! But,I know for certain a few of you guys do have the true originals and I would love to see a pic or two. :biggrin:

In APRIL last year I was on GB and this one just popped up after a refresh. Opening bid was $275 and BIN of $375.I looked at it and thought
there is something wrong here. Not at that price. But, that original bluing and all matching numbers on the metal was unusual to say the least for a 49.
Finally,with my wife looking at it she said buy the damn thing. I hit Bin. $375 plus $25 shipping and my FFL guy charged me no transfer fee.
No scrubs on this rifle.I thought I saw 2 on GB, but was not. Just his camera. I would have better pics, but at the time I had no idea this camera had macro close up capability. Now I do. Need to do a good shoot on this one soon. Here you go, refurb or not. :)

Last edited by OLD OUTLAW on Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Happiness is owning Swedish Mausers!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Very Late 1949 TulaRefurb.

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Not original? it looks like a perfectly nice Ukrainian refurbished 1949 Soviet SKS to me, I don't see Bubba's hand here, but I will take your word for it. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

I gotta get me one of those.
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
Izhevsk762

Post by Izhevsk762 »

:toast:
The user formerly known as mosinnagantm9130
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Not original? it looks like a perfectly nice Ukrainian refurbished 1949 Soviet SKS to me, I don't see Bubba's hand here, but I will take your word for it. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
We have some new members here who do have the original 90 degree gas block and the Black spike bayo. :mrgreen:
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Not original? it looks like a perfectly nice Ukrainian refurbished 1949 Soviet SKS to me, I don't see Bubba's hand here, but I will take your word for it. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Oh, no Bubba here. It has been Russian Refurbished before it came to the US. In 1949, there was an earlier version of it.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Spike bayonet? I thought that was used on the ChiCom SKS's? No idea about the gas block, I only have one Soviet SKS, a 1950 Tula and it's been stored away for years in cosmoline sleep.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Spike bayonet? I thought that was used on the ChiCom SKS's? No idea about the gas block, I only have one Soviet SKS, a 1950 Tula and it's been stored away for years in cosmoline sleep.
I still need a good original 50. Send it to me,I will store it for you. Forever even. :D
sheepdog

Post by sheepdog »

Your deck needs to be scraped and restained. Bird poop too. :oops: Martin would never show one of his prized SKSs on a deck that looks like that. That's disrespecting one of Mr. Simonov's classics. :no:

Next time I'm anywhere near Iowa Outlaw I'll load up my scraper and my airless sprayer and fix that for you for a nominal fee. :biggrin:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Real gun control is the ability to hit the target.
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Spike bayonet? I thought that was used on the ChiCom SKS's? No idea about the gas block, I only have one Soviet SKS, a 1950 Tula and it's been stored away for years in cosmoline sleep.

Here is one of my first posts on the forum, JYD. It shows the 90deg gas block, and other early bolt/carrier and takedown lever features. Mine is the second design with the blade bayonet, vs. the original cruciform spike.

http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.c ... 0deg#p1733

I'll bet that if you took your 1950 SKS out of its hibernation, you would discover that your bolt and carrier also have early design features. :wink:
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Oh, and to finish Old Outlaw's story. When he saw the Gunbroker auction, he PM'd me to ask if it was a good deal. I told him that if he didn't buy it, it wouldn't last another five minutes.

It was gone in less than one. :lol:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It's on schedule to come out of storage but cosmoline cleaning is outdoor work, and it's very cold out just now :) I bought that SKS back in '94, it was under $200 at the time I think, I picked it because it was the oldest on display. wasn't there some issue about chrome bores with the early models, early didn't have it but later did? Just triggered a memory of a friend of mine pointing out the lack of chrome in mine and how a chrome bore would be better, I pointed out that the Mauser he was buying also lacked a chrome bore and wouldn't a Remchester be better ? :)
Theodore Roosevelt
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Yes, chromed bores came out in early 1952.
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

martin08 wrote:Oh, and to finish Old Outlaw's story. When he saw the Gunbroker auction, he PM'd me to ask if it was a good deal. I told him that if he didn't buy it, it wouldn't last another five minutes.

It was gone in less than one. :lol:
I did! And guys, Martin is telling the truth. There is a bunch of us on here that help each other every time we can, right down to that last minute.
A good group on here.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

martin08 wrote:Yes, chromed bores came out in early 1952.
Thanks Martin, sometimes things float to the surface of the memory from that long ago era before we had internet around here, 60% of the time they are correct :lol:
Theodore Roosevelt
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Sweet AKS Outlaw! I am really starting to get anxious.

I feel pretty good...I am actually somewhat able to understand the discussion :) 90 degree gas blocks, cruciform spike...I know what that means lol.

Very nice...thank you for sharing this beaut!
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
Woodbeef

Post by Woodbeef »

Nice 49 there Sir. I'm waiting for Vlad to handpick me a 49 non-refurb.
OLD OUTLAW

Post by OLD OUTLAW »

Woodbeef wrote:Nice 49 there Sir. I'm waiting for Vlad to handpick me a 49 non-refurb.
You just keep it up,and I will lead the invasion of Alberta right to your safe! :biggrin:
Woodbeef

Post by Woodbeef »

He has a new shipment inbound. Maybe he'll have a red 53 Izhevsk non-refurb for me. Or maybe a "D" laminate with a 55 Tula top cover.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

This is a beatiful rifle. I can't believe I haven't already said so, as this post is a few weeks old. Very nice.