Pistol grip on shotgun? Need your opinion.

Everything shotgun discussed here.
A J

Pistol grip on shotgun? Need your opinion.

Post by A J »

I'm thinking about getting a Hogue Tamer pistol grip for one of my Remington 870 shotguns. I have several HD guns and thought it would be nice to have something really compact. Looks like it would be fun to shoot as well. I also like the dual sling attachment options on this pistol grip. What do you think? Good idea? Bad idea? They're about $25 bucks apiece.
mogunner

Re: Pistol grip on shotgun? Need your opinion.

Post by mogunner »

I have one, it's a nice pistol grip but once on, that's all it's good for, no more hunting with it. Shot everything up to slugs with it on, worked great.

Went to this one eventually kind of best of both worlds

bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I am a fan of Mogunner's second option. A full stock with pistol grip, either with or without collapsible stock.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

On a side note, I was looking at a cool looking conversion for the 870 that turns it into a 12 Ga bullpup. You can find it on Google or YouTube.
ponycarman

Post by ponycarman »

Never have tried them. I have never had an issue with the standard style stock. I like how they handle, feel, and look traditional. Maybe someday I'll give one a shot.
Let me make a short, open, blanket comment. There are no good guns. There are no bad guns. Any gun in the hands of a bad man is a bad thing. Any gun in the hands of a descent person is no threat to anyone--- except bad people. -- Charleton Heston

Guns are not good, they are not evil. Save those descriptions for the people holding the firearm. -- Unknown

1943 Izhevsk
1937 Izhevsk
1935/48/50 Tula (hex)
1939 Tula (laminate stock)
And many other firearms :D
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I was just following up on that bullpup conversion, and I don't like it. First of all it is 300 bucks, plus the price of the shotgun. Then cleaning it is a pain. I would just get the ATI collapsible pistol grip if I wanted to mod a shotgun.
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

Another note, it makes it pretty well impossible to store it anywhere but in a corner or under the bed. If you decide you want to try one, I'd sell the one I have for $15 shipped, it's pretty much like new.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Pistol grip shotguns are last ditch weapons, I prefer a good solid buttstock on a shotgun. It's not always necessary to shoot someone to stop a problem when a good slam with the buttstock will suffice, not possible to do that unless you actually have a buttstock on the gun. Bullpups fail in that category as well.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

Ask millman when he comes along. He shot my Mossberg with an 18 1/2 inch barrel one handed. His wrist will heal soon. I hope.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

What the heck were you shooting? I shot mine one handed all the time with 2 3/4" low recoil 00 buck, even standard loads were not bad, the only thing I wouldn't have shot one handed were the Remington 1 ounce slugs
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

I had #4 high base duck and pheasant loads in it.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I shot mine with 3" 000 Magnum buckshot once, I was extra especially pissed at the time and didn't feel a damn thing, then or later.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
A J

Post by A J »

Thanks for all the feedback. I just ordered the grip and will let you know how it turns out. Worst cast, it turns out to be a $25 toy.

I'm cautiously optimistic that I'm going to be a "prodigy" in shooting this baby. I've got super long "monkey arms" and am pretty good with a handgun.
A J

Post by A J »

bunkysdad wrote:I was just following up on that bullpup conversion, and I don't like it. First of all it is 300 bucks, plus the price of the shotgun. Then cleaning it is a pain. I would just get the ATI collapsible pistol grip if I wanted to mod a shotgun.
When I first saw the $300 conversion kit, that's pretty much what I thought. Sorry it didn't work out for you. You can always unload it.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Oh it is no problem. I only looked at em online. I didn't buy one.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Few people other than me shoot these pistol grip jobs for fun, I load it with low brass reloads and "walk" a cardboard box up and down my private range with it. It's the sort of tool that if you really need to use it, you will be so full of rage/fear/loathing at the time that it will be like a child's cap gun in our hands. Over many years I have gotten good point shooting with it, now if I can see it, and it's within the operational range of a 18.5" 12 gauge barrel, I can hit it.
Theodore Roosevelt
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

I'd like to at some point pick up another of these cheap Hawk shotguns like the one i have and throw the pistol grip on it, but with just the one, I keep it where if need be I could hunt with it as well and switching back and forth is a pain.
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

You would do better with a pistol.
I
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

A J

Post by A J »

bunkysdad wrote:Oh it is no problem. I only looked at em online. I didn't buy one.
That's good to hear. I can't see paying $300 bucks to essentially fix something that ain't broken. Heck, if I can do the same thing with a $25 pistol grip, I figure I'm way ahead, even if I later decide I don't like it. :D
A J

Post by A J »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Few people other than me shoot these pistol grip jobs for fun, I load it with low brass reloads and "walk" a cardboard box up and down my private range with it. It's the sort of tool that if you really need to use it, you will be so full of rage/fear/loathing at the time that it will be like a child's cap gun in our hands. Over many years I have gotten good point shooting with it, now if I can see it, and it's within the operational range of a 18.5" 12 gauge barrel, I can hit it.
That's pretty much the level I'll be trying to reach: just good enough to be able to be comfortable engaging targets within the weapon's effective range. A stock will always be a better shooter, but I definitely gotta try this baby out.