1932 Transitional on a recycled receiver.

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Lee-online

1932 Transitional on a recycled receiver.

Post by Lee-online »

Well I finally filled my photobucket up and had to cull a bunch of pics to upload these. I guess i need to find another place or pay for more storage.

Anyhow, an interesting rifle with a few cool and interesting features.

Nice clean Finn captured m91/30

Weird trigger pin looks to be a modified screw.

1916 Tula receiver. Restamped 1931 with a 1932 Izhevsk barrel. :lol:

Normal features.
Way more character than the average refurb for just about the same price.
Kollaa kestää
redspoon

Re: 1932 Transitional on a recycled receiver.

Post by redspoon »

Holy crap :Drool1: that is one good looking rifle. Very nice wood on that one and a trigger spring too. Is that a 41 on the right side? Good score :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nice find, filled up photobucket? I have at least 2000 photos in there and still have room, you must be getting very carried away with that camera :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Knuckledragger

Post by Knuckledragger »

Very nice! Now you need a Panshin to go with it :bwink:
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

No trigger spring, that is the trigger pin that i assume is made from a screw.

I think i am shooting in a higher quality and it now takes up more space. I shoot in fine Jpeg and upload without any processing.

I have a Panshin for it. :thumbsup:
Kollaa kestää
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

That rifle receiver was apparently rebarrelled at Tula in 1920 as well. The date on the tang seems common on early Russian Civil War era Tulas. I dont recall ever seeing a triple dated receiver. That is fantastic. And the Caontinuation War 41 stamp too. Most mosins leave us guessing at their history. Yours shares its history plain as day. Awesome.

1916 Tula m91, rebarrelled at Tula as a 1920 date m91, then finally as a Finn capture transitional 91/30. I think this would look great in the showcase.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

Ah, so this stamp designates it was rebarreled and the number is the year it was done.

Kollaa kestää
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

SAWEEET :Drool1: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
husker51

Post by husker51 »

That's a real nice one! Congratulations! :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1:
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

I don't remember ever seeing a date restamped on the top of the tang like that. This is a very nice rifle. For the sake of any who read here and don't know what you mean by transitional, or even the statement "now you need a Panchin" you should expain what you are talking about. It really helps the new guys that are learning. Very nice rifle indeed.
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Lee-online wrote:Ah, so this stamp designates it was rebarreled and the number is the year it was done.

In this case I believe so, but I have also seen 1919 and 1920 dated Tulas that appeared to have been built on newly made receivers and they were also stamped that way. So I think that for a very short time stamping the date on top was a normal thing for Tula.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
martin08

Post by martin08 »

Date on top of the tang is a new one for me, too. I'd like to see more!

About the only ways that these transitional guns will be found are with Finn Captures and Spanish Civil War examples. The features which separate them from a traditional M91/30 would be the tall blade front sight instead of the post and globe, and the Button barrel bands vs. the split spring band. Of course, the hooded Panshin bayonet is a proper accessory.

The guns which survived with the Soviets were all updated to the normal M91/30 features in the post-war refurbishments.

You have an exceptional conditioned example, Lee. Very good, sir!

Button band:

And check hunt http://www.hunt101.com/ for pic hosting. Over 6,000 pics stored for myself, and never a fee.
No words of wisdom come to mind at this time....
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Here is a similar receiver posted by Iron Colonel of Gunboards. It is a 1900 dated one, with a 1919 barrel and the corresponding date on the top tang. This particular tula ended up in Spain.

http://s254.photobucket.com/user/Iron_C ... c.jpg.html
davesstuff1

Post by davesstuff1 »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1:
David M Gellatly
Savannah, GA. 31419
gellatlydave@yahoo.com
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

:vcool: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
shoto2758

Post by shoto2758 »

It's nice to see some are out there and they can be found,you have a very nice example.
Excellent find.
:thumbsup:
Do Not Think Of Winning.
Think,Rather,Of Not Losing

Gichin Funakoshi
catcracker

Post by catcracker »

Wow. Great looking rifle.
:bravo: :bravo:
Knuckledragger

Post by Knuckledragger »

martin08- I have two or three receivers with the Tula hammer and year stamped on the top of the tang. I agree with racer in that I've seen pics of several rifles with this stamping.

Also, it's interesting you say most transitional rifles will likely be either Finn captures or old SCW survivors. I believe mine is a regular old Russian, as it shows no traits of either Finn or Spain. It came from SOG about four years ago when the previous owner ordered a refurb 91/30. He was ready to send it back because it wasn't a pretty stocked refurb. I quickly changed his mind when I explained what it was. It just took three years to talk him into selling it to me :biggrin:

martin08 wrote:Date on top of the tang is a new one for me, too. I'd like to see more!

About the only ways that these transitional guns will be found are with Finn Captures and Spanish Civil War examples. The features which separate them from a traditional M91/30 would be the tall blade front sight instead of the post and globe, and the Button barrel bands vs. the split spring band. Of course, the hooded Panshin bayonet is a proper accessory.

The guns which survived with the Soviets were all updated to the normal M91/30 features in the post-war refurbishments.

You have an exceptional conditioned example, Lee. Very good, sir!

Button band:

And check hunt http://www.hunt101.com/ for pic hosting. Over 6,000 pics stored for myself, and never a fee.
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

Pretty cool how just simply posting pictures and you will find out all kinds of new info.

Has anyone seen the double date on the tang, this is the first one i have with it, other recycled receivers I own are just marked with the original date.

This was a good score off GB, not described well, only 7 pictures but I won it on the second bid, ($195). I was confident it was at least a transitional front sight because it was shown. I could kinda make out the Tula hammer on the receiver so i thought it was recycled so I took a chance.
Kollaa kestää
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

bunkysdad wrote:I don't remember ever seeing a date restamped on the top of the tang like that. This is a very nice rifle. For the sake of any who read here and don't know what you mean by transitional, or even the statement "now you need a Panchin" you should expain what you are talking about. It really helps the new guys that are learning. Very nice rifle indeed.

The Panshin was the original 91/30 bayonet introduced with the new rifle in 1930. (hence the designation M1891/30) Change is slow and it took a few years to phase out the Dragoons and get up to speed on the new 91/30. These first rifles had a tall non hooded front sight, the common 91/30 style tangent rear sight but not pinned and the button bands. Around 1934 the rifle was changed to what would be a "normal" 91/30 with the common split bands and the hooded front sight.

With the introduction of the hooded front sight, many Panshins were stripped of their hood so they could be used on the new style rifle.
Hooded panshin bayonets are hard to come by.
Like Martin stated, These transitional rifles will be in original configuration if they didn't go through the refurb process so, are going to be Finn captures like mine or SCW imports.

Closer pic of the hooded Panshin bayonet.
Kollaa kestää