RyanE are you on here? Got German capture Mosin pics for ya

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
pgaplayerless
ban
ban

RyanE are you on here? Got German capture Mosin pics for ya

Post by pgaplayerless »

Well by the time I got around taking the pictures for ya that you wanted, for whatever reason ("no reason specified" it says) my posting privi's were yanked again on the other board. So I figured I try to catch ya on here about that German Depot re-matching. The font looks very K98k-ish to me and the rear leaf has also been polished.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =410638217

millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: RyanE are you on here? Got German capture Mosin pics for

Post by millman »

If that is the rifle from the auction link, it is a Finnish capture. Pretty nice looking rifle. I don't see anything German about it.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
Bugelson

Re: Vs: RyanE are you on here? Got German capture Mosin pics

Post by Bugelson »

millman wrote:If that is the rifle from the auction link, it is a Finnish capture. Pretty nice looking rifle. I don't see anything German about it.
Looks to be one from the lot the Germans sold to Finland in summer 1944.

Blued bolt (known German "trade mark" and definately not a Finn job) and the "star-stamp" on the stock speaks for that theory.
Knuckledragger

Post by Knuckledragger »

millman wrote:If that is the rifle from the auction link, it is a Finnish capture. Pretty nice looking rifle. I don't see anything German about it.
Blued bolt, rear sight leaf in the white, double stars on stock. All of these are clues to German refurb. Kind of late developing info-over the last year or so. I don't collect German stuff, thus I don't know about German fonts- so I can't speak to that.

I own a '43 91/30 that's a Finn capture with these same attributes-minus the stars on stock.
Knuckledragger

Post by Knuckledragger »

Dang! Bugelson was too quick for me :biggrin:
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

Bugelson wrote:
Looks to be one from the lot the Germans sold to Finland in summer 1944.

Blued bolt (known German "trade mark" and definately not a Finn job) and the "star-stamp" on the stock speaks for that theory.
One learns something new every day. :thumbsup:
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:thumbsup: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
clayshooter2

Post by clayshooter2 »

Ah, crap.....
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

clayshooter2 wrote:Ah, crap.....
???

C. S. Lewis
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

:biggrin:
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
ncreptile
Forum Advertiser

Post by ncreptile »

"ah crap"
Yep.. And you thought we'd seen the last of :big shock:

Nice rifle though.(just to keep it on topic)
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

+2
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Are ya'll saying the Finns didn't blue any bolts on the 91/30's? Do you see anything that says Germany on this one? Have I missed it?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Knuckledragger wrote:Blued bolt, rear sight leaf in the white, double stars on stock. All of these are clues to German refurb. Kind of late developing info-over the last year or so.
Bugelson wrote:Looks to be one from the lot the Germans sold to Finland in summer 1944.

bunkysdad wrote:Are ya'll saying the Finns didn't blue any bolts on the 91/30's? Do you see anything that says Germany on this one? Have I missed it?
Like BD I also have a finn capture with the blued bolt, never had a clue about the possible German connection. The stock was replaced by the finns so no stars on stock. Like Millman said we learn something new everyday about these Mosins. :vcool: :vcool:
IMG_1673.JPG
IMG_1683.JPG
IMG_1694.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bugelson

Post by Bugelson »

bunkysdad wrote:Are ya'll saying the Finns didn't blue any bolts on the 91/30's? Do you see anything that says Germany on this one? Have I missed it?
I say Finns did not blue bolts at all. If they did, blued bolts would be all over the place. Now they are rather scarce.

I'd say your rifle could be build from parts or it could be straight from the German depot-warehouse where it just missed the treats there. Hard to say if the "German traits" are not seen.

Most of the lot that Germans sold to Finland in 1944 were in such a bad shape thet they were cannibalised and used as parts. That could be the story of your rifle and the bolt. I see from the hang tag that the rifle of your's has been around. Level 3 bore. Once again would fit in the description of shape of the "German shipment": poor or barely serviceable shape rifles.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

A Mosin built from parts? Oh hell, why didn't I think of that?
FR0STY54R

Post by FR0STY54R »

That's an awesome rifle ! Beautiful Mosin and German refurbished ? I was extremely close to buying a Mosin with a blued bolt. I didn't know what it was honestly, but I wanted to add a hex receiver to the collection and that rifle with the blued bolt had one. I told them to hold the rifle for me, that I would be in later to pick it up. When I went in to pick it up, they handed me a different rifle. This rifle was a hex receiver too and I ended up going with that one instead because it had brass hand guard tips and an extremely low, double digit serial number.
Shoot like Voroshilov !
Bugelson

Post by Bugelson »

bunkysdad wrote:A Mosin built from parts? Oh hell, why didn't I think of that?
No need to be a smart ass. English just isn't my native language so everything doesn't come out allways as clear as I'd like it to.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Before I bite the hook and take the German heritage thing as fact I am going to have to see something a little more concrete. This rifle, and others that have come up with blued bolts, have the traits of Finnish build, SA stamps, Finn stocks, etc. Mine here has a 1 piece stock but has the Finn oil finish, or perhaps pine tar, I am not completely sure. It could have been built from some parts whole in German possession but this is the first I have read, or heard of this. Bugelson, I know you have spoke of German rifles and Mausers may be your area of interest, so any light you shine on this would be welcome, and remember, a lot of guys may find this interesting so provide any facts or links you may have. All my knowledge on this is only from what I have read on forums and gathered from 7.62x54r.net and such. Oh, one more thing. I need to take new photos and especially would like help reading every line on the hang tag I pictured. Also my rifle pics are a few years old and I can take better ones. Look for a new thread soon to discuss this rifle. Condition 3 bore sounds interesting to me. This one "looks" good. I can only imagine what a 1 would look like. :P
Bugelson

Post by Bugelson »

bunkysdad wrote:Before I bite the hook and take the German heritage thing as fact I am going to have to see something a little more concrete. This rifle, and others that have come up with blued bolts, have the traits of Finnish build, SA stamps, Finn stocks, etc. Mine here has a 1 piece stock but has the Finn oil finish, or perhaps pine tar, I am not completely sure. It could have been built from some parts whole in German possession but this is the first I have read, or heard of this.
Oh I am not an expert. But I would go with build by the Finns (partly i.e. at least the bolt) from parts acquired from the 1944 German shipment. That would explain it all. German rebuilds, like for example Krakau depot builds, show more German traits to be seen.

Finns used black BLO based oil for stocks. Pine tar was not used.