Junk "Soviet" Stripper Clips

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Joeinthehills

Re: Junk "Soviet" Stripper Clips

Post by Joeinthehills »

musketjon wrote:
Joeinthehills wrote:OK, Magots it's not like we are on Guadacanel, Taraw, Peleliu, Saipan, Guam, Iwo Jima, or Okinawa, etc. as we've got plenty of time to load rounds, rather than facing a Banzai charge.

A-1-6 2nd Mar Div FMF
I Sir (and I'm using the term loosely here) am greatly offended by your calling me a maggot in much the same way as referring to you as a '' Jar Head''. Just because you don't agree with someone's way of doing some thing is no reason to get offensive. My guess is that you shoot one of those AR rifles because you can't handle the heft or recoil of the '' real'' rifles out there. In keeping with your offensive language, there is a name for guys like you and it's synonymous with a part of the female anatomy and it's not arm or leg. What's next? Telling me I can't /shouldn't load all 8 rounds in my M1 rifle??!!??!!
Jon
Jon,
Sorry if you took offence @ the term maggot, it's a term that is endeared to me as I was referred to so often in the Corps that it is a term of endearment to me, because of Parris Island, and Camp Geiger, and I was addressed as such as a Marine boot. There are probably some other terms of endearment that I was referred to that would really upset you! :devil2:

And yes, I can handle anything from an '03'A1, M-1, BAR, 60mm mortar, flamethrower, 3.5 rocket, M-60, and lastly a M-14, the M-16 was not issued at that time when I served.
Haven't tried the K98 or the Type 99, as I own them both, but only 8mm ammo for the K98's that I own.
Yeah, I' a bolt guy. :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

The Mosin clip was a matter of using what was available rather than what was best. The Russians were not going to pay Mauser royalties for the use of their clips, and they were not going to publically admit that they couldn't come up with something better. In the US we needed a stripper clip so we just stole the German design along with the GEW98 rifle, we had to pay in the end to use the design, but we got the best. US troops didn't have to f*** around with the Mosin clips until 1918 when US troops went to north Russia on that ill fated expedition, and they HATED the clips as well as the Mosins they were ordered to carry in place of their M1903's. The American/German clips are the best ever designed, after using them one is spoiled for any other clip, nothing ever works as smoothly in a consistent fashion as do the Mauser clips. The British only came up with a slightly better variation along the same lines as the Mosin clip, and the French went with the Mannlicher design for their Berthiers and ignored clips entirely with the Lebel, only later to adopt the German style clips for the 7.5mm ammo. I have found again and again that original clips that worked perfectly in one rifle do not work in another, well, none of them work perfectly, maybe adequate is a better term. Japan, Italy, the USA, and every country to use a Mauser type rifle used the Mauser clip, in 1891 Russia didn't, and over the next 60 some odd years never made a single improvement on the clips they had, or at least tightened up specifications on both clip guide and the clips themselves. I wonder how many soldiers died while fumbling around with these clips in combat.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

There is nothing so gratifying, besides loading an M1, like pushing the rounds from a stripper clip into a magazine of a Mauser type receiver, running the bolt home and ejecting the stripper clip in one smooth operation. So yes, Virginia, the Mauser type receivers load faster than any Mosin.
"And beneath the starry flag, we civilized them with a Krag..."
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

And as history has shown the Garand type clips ( Ferdinand Mannlicher) load faster than the Mauser :twisted:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

I don't know I personally like my 90 round drum mag for my whatever! :lol: Bill
jones0430

Post by jones0430 »

zeebill wrote:I don't know I personally like my 90 round drum mag for my whatever! :lol: Bill
Well,... if you are going to go for the nuclear option, a 100 round belt, a loader, and an ammo carrier is needed.
"And beneath the starry flag, we civilized them with a Krag..."
psmd

Post by psmd »

I bought some new production brass ones off ebay and have been extremely happy with them.