New B barrel M39

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
john_the_plinker

New B barrel M39

Post by john_the_plinker »

A few weeks ago I was in a shop and found two Finns. One was a VKT m91, the other was a B barrel M39. Only had cash on me to bring one home so had to put the other in layaway. Flipped a coin and brought the M91 home, planning on going back in a couple weeks to pick up the M39. Well, between the weather and work it tuned into 5 weeks. Well, this weekend the weather was nice and I didn't have to work so off I went!
Anyway, its a 1942 B, transitional stock, excellent bore. Just like the M91, a few flecks of rust and a lot of dust and cobwebs. I got a lot of the creepy crud off the outside and gave the bore a quick scrub yesterday but had a family function today so haven't been able to take it apart and see what it looks like under the wood. And now a few pics!
jonnyboy091373

Re: New B barrel M39

Post by jonnyboy091373 »

Very nice. :) great looking rifle.
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Congrats John very nice m39, looks almost unissued. Sure has been a lot of nice M39's showing up lately :D
john_the_plinker

This one has been around a while, it has the old Century mark from St. Albans. It came out of an estate, guy probably bought it then put it away and didn't do anything with it. The M91 I got from that estate still had the Finn grease in the barrel.
Miller Tyme
PE - PEM - PU
PE - PEM - PU

Post by Miller Tyme »

Nice B-barrel John, about 3000 before mine. Those B barrel M39's are about as good as it gets for a Mosin. :thumbsup:
“The only real power comes out of a long rifle" - Joseph Stalin
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Sweet B barrel. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :Drool1: :Drool1:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nice , remember to watch for shims when you lift that action from the wood. :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Ten thumbs up! Your collection just blossomed. You are going to enjoy shooting it.
john_the_plinker

Had it out for a little range time today. First load I tested was Brown Bear 174s, a load that has worked well for me in the past in many rifles. Very disappointing, at least for a M39, 4" groups at 100 yds. Some of the 204 superheavies from Bear, about the same. Both loads were high (6-7") and left(5"). Next up, another load that has worked really good in several rifles, Czech silvertip. Nice, tight, 2" group, about the best I can do with irons, with 3 shots almost touching with one slightly higher and another just a bit left. Now some home rolled 150 grainers, oh yeah, first group just over 1.5", second 1.75". All the light ball groups were just a hair high, about 2" and less than an inch left of center. I guess this one just doesn't like heavier bullets, which is in my experience not typical of a Finn.

Oh, and the tang is 1912, Sestroryetsk.
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Longcolt44 »

The splice is unique. Most Finn splices are round or flat finger joints. I have seen Russian 91/30s with that splice.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

That is an interesting splice. Haven't seen one like that before on a Finn. Nice rifle though :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
john_the_plinker

That is a transitional splice. The rounded ones are early, wartime splice while the square ended ones are later, post war splices. I've seen very few of the transitional splices as compared to either of the others.
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

NEVER saw one "in the wild" on an M39. Beautiful rifle. :Drool1: :Drool1: I have a "like new" Transitional" stock on one M39, but its NOT a "B" :thumbsup: . Damn nice find :thumbsup: :thumbsup: ......wow. :Drool1: :Drool1:
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

john_the_plinker wrote:That is a transitional splice. The rounded ones are early, wartime splice while the square ended ones are later, post war splices. I've seen very few of the transitional splices as compared to either of the others.
:pointup: +1 & Nice find! 8-) :thumbsup: