Trip to the North Store today!

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
Roughsawn

Post by Roughsawn »

I've been saving and waiting for the right time to head up to the CMP North Store for some time. Today was the day! Took a day off work and headed up there! The place was %=÷€ing awesome! I ended up buying 2 M1 Garands, slings, a bayonet, a bunch of clips, and 600 rounds (including 200 armor piercing). I need to tell mama how much I spent today..... wish me luck! On the bright side, all bills are current and we went grocery shopping monday. I'm hoping once I put one of the rifles in her hand, she'll love on me all night. If not, she'll prolly beat me to death with one of them.... Anyway, it's to late to post pics tonight, but if you don't see any posted tomorrow, I guess mama went with option B and I've been beat to death with an M1..... :chuckles:
Coveter of stinky old rifles!
desdem12

Re: Trip to the North Store today!

Post by desdem12 »

Sweeeeet :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
TheMaineEvent

Post by TheMaineEvent »

Your post actually made me laugh out loud. Congrats on the M1's and I hope you make it through the night.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Tell her she can get some of that money back after the funeral, we will gladly give her .50-.60 on the dollar for the rifles and ammo, plus whatever other guns she finds you had hidden away. :)
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

It sounds like you spent about 1500 or a little more.
Jbob

Post by Jbob »

bunkysdad wrote:It sounds like you spent about 1500 or a little more.
I'd say a little more. My trip in July was $1,200+ for one rifle and 400 rounds of ammo.
catcracker

Post by catcracker »

:dont:
More people should follow your example, and get to CMP while they still have stock.
Love mine.
I have a match with it in April.

Cat
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Yeah, a trip in person would be incredible. I live about 690 miles from Anniston Alabama and 1150 miles to Port Clinton Ohio. I need to rent a Smart car. A Smart Car for me would be more like a Yukon or Suburban. That would be Smart.
entropy

Post by entropy »

I misread it initially; I thought it said, "Trip to the North Shore today! I was going to ask if Lake Superior was froze over yet..... :lol:

Hey, you still alive, roughsawn? :shock:
"Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum." -Publius Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Murphy was an optimist.

A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an
invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a
sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the
dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an
equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a
computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
Specialization is for insects - Robert A. Heinlien
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

bunkysdad wrote:Yeah, a trip in person would be incredible. I live about 690 miles from Anniston Alabama and 1150 miles to Port Clinton Ohio. I need to rent a Smart car. A Smart Car for me would be more like a Yukon or Suburban. That would be Smart.
690 miles in a smart car? We would have to shoehorn you into it, and then dismantle the car to get you out :lol: :lol: :lol:
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Jbob

Post by Jbob »

Here ya go Cat, here's a few pictures of my H&R 1954 CMP Special. All I could find around here was pretty rough so for $150 more I bought a all correct like new rifle. Well, I did have to drive 10 hours round trip to pick it out. The white showing on the action is molly grease.

Jbob

Post by Jbob »

Although it was a nice family trip for a day and I enjoyed picking out my M1 with my son I found the workers at the CMP North Store to be the rudest and most unfriendly people I've ever delt with.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Very nice Jbob :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Sonny

Post by Sonny »

desdem12 wrote:Very nice Jbob :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1:
X2 :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1:
Cwcoolcow

Post by Cwcoolcow »

Jbob wrote: I found the workers at the CMP North Store to be the rudest and most unfriendly people I've ever delt with.
??? I wonder who was working. I've made a number of purchases there and I still make 3-4 visits there a year for ammo. Bob's a great guy. Knows everything there is about Garands. He will BS with you for hours and has some great stories. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience.
Roughsawn

Post by Roughsawn »

Sorry I'm late getting back! Mama is happy with what I got, so I'm still alive. The trip was pretty great. Even saw a bald eagle on the way out!

Here is the H&R field grade I picked out. 5.8 serial. Birch stock. Definitely has the been there done that look:

Next is the H&R service grade special. Another 5.8 serial. In fact, I think both serials are only 4000 apart. New walnut stock, barrel, about perfect as can be. Will likely be a safe queen unless the field grade is not a shooter. I will have to take it to the range anyway. :D

Add in 200 rounds AP, 400 HXP, sling, 25 clips, and a bayonet. Tax and out the door just over $2k. :shock:

Friendly helpful folks up there. Gotta find me a part time job! Would love to go back up in a few months for more ammo and maybe another field grade! :thumbsup:
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nice M1's :) What happened to the rest of that Airstream?
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1:
jeremyb

Post by jeremyb »

VERY NICE.. Mine has a CMP stock on it, and I don't care for it.. I wish it was a been there done that one.
Roughsawn

Post by Roughsawn »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:Nice M1's :) What happened to the rest of that Airstream?
Thanks. I had a 1965 Overlander (26ft., built close to me in Jackson Center OH) bought barn fresh in 2005. I was the third owner. Spent a ton of $ and about 500 hours rebuilding it. They are beautiful trailers. Real walnut cabinetry, copper plumbing, porcelain toilet..etc...
I salvaged what I could and rebuilt everything else. Took about 100 hours just to polish it! Anyway, the 1st owners took it all over the country with the caravan club several times over. She was my pride and joy. Alas, a divorce forced it's sale...

Here's a couple pics of her on the day she left my possession

If anyone here has an old one, let me know. I'd be glad to share what I know about them, where to find stuff for them, and some forums and advice.