Too pitted to shoot?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
graydog

Too pitted to shoot?

Post by graydog »

Hi, new to the forum. I have three Mosin Nagants. I have one m53 that I think is too pitted to shoot so may just keep for spare parts. Anyone think it may be safe enough to shoot?
Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
By a route obscure and lonely,
haunted by ill angels only.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Too pitted to shoot?

Post by millman »

I have shot this one. It looks like it was stored in the bottom of a river.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Might be ok I think. Let a friend shoot it first...and second. :shock: :lol:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
akuser47

Post by akuser47 »

Those r rusty for sure but i doubt unsafe depending on the bore though may or may not shot well at all.

akuser47's mobile device.
ImageLive free, or die fighting, for the right, to do so!
jm190

Post by jm190 »

graydog wrote:Hi, new to the forum. I have three Mosin Nagants. I have one m53 that I think is too pitted to shoot so may just keep for spare parts. Anyone think it may be safe enough to shoot?
Thanks
Welcome to Mosinitis and this great forum!

I had an M91 that I was concerned with until I actually measured the depths of the pits. They looked horrible but in the end there was still at least 70% of the barrel left and that was using the thickness of the barrel at the muzzle which gave a considerable margin considering the taper of the barrel in relation to the location of the pits.

You can always tie her to an old tire and fire her from a distance using a strong cord to pull the trigger to she if she'll stand the pressure, ;mywink; or let a local gunsmith take a look at her.
John
mogunner

Post by mogunner »

I've had several with deeper pitting than that. You'll be fine.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

That's just a little character pitting, it's fine.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Dan4good

Post by Dan4good »

id shoulder it and pull the trigger
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

Maybe with some light loads first. :wink:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Judi and her Mosins

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

:soapbox:
I believe it will shoot fine, I shot one before that was more then yours, little off but still shot KY. windage use. Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
timlin33

Post by timlin33 »

desdem12 wrote:Might be ok I think. Let a friend shoot it first...and second. :shock: :lol:
Make sure its not a really close friend though............ ;mywink;
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Hey, give me back my Chinese Mauser and how did you slip it out of here without me noticing? Deep pitting inside the bore would be worse because it makes it so difficult to clean and also affects how well it shoots accurately. This looks ok to me. You did good. When in doubt ask on the forum. Welcome to the Mosin forum.
graydog

Post by graydog »

Thanks everyone for the input. The inside of the barrel looks great so guess I'll give her a try.
By a route obscure and lonely,
haunted by ill angels only.