How are my bores?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
cleanneon98

How are my bores?

Post by cleanneon98 »

Mosin 1 is a 41 Izhevsk last shot maybe 2 months ago, cleaned, and put away

Mosin 2 is a 1932 Izhevsk last shot last week, cleaned, and put away

Just looking to see if the bore can be judged by these and maybe if I'm not cleaning right, some tips. I use corrosive ammo followed by a pot of boiling water which I alternate between with hoppes also. I pour in some hot water every few minutes to keep the metal hot and I believe that helps clean better. But what do I know, after all Mosin 1 looks pretty bad to me.
1943 SAKO M39 SK.Y #505023
desdem12

Re: How are my bores?

Post by desdem12 »

looks good to me :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
cleanneon98

Post by cleanneon98 »

Also I plan to seek out an m44 next year as well as maybe some other rare pieces. How can I judge the bores of guns on the rack if they are packed with cosmoline?
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

You can't. If it's on the rack, and full of grease, you just take your chances like we all do with milsurps. Less than perfect bore does not mean it's a bad shooter.
cleanneon98

Post by cleanneon98 »

bunkysdad wrote:You can't. If it's on the rack, and full of grease, you just take your chances like we all do with milsurps. Less than perfect bore does not mean it's a bad shooter.
They do both shoot well. I was surprised to hit steel twice at 200 yards with #2
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

cleanneon98 wrote:
bunkysdad wrote:You can't. If it's on the rack, and full of grease, you just take your chances like we all do with milsurps. Less than perfect bore does not mean it's a bad shooter.
They do both shoot well. I was surprised to hit steel twice at 200 yards with #2
Then you have no problem.
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
cleanneon98

Post by cleanneon98 »

My concern is the looks of bore #1. I was using the wrong cleaning technique for a while and kept finding a rusty bore when I pulled it out of storage. I wonder if it can be rejuvenated
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

If you get into the habit of checking your bore a few days to a week after cleaning it then rust problems can be avoided. Soak them with a good wet oil before storing them away helps also. They look fine in the pics, but without rifles in hand I really don't know. Run patches down the bore, if they come out orange or brown then you have problems, green, or gray and it's OK. As for good bores on a milsurp, never buy a millsurp with any expectation of a good bore, or a rifle that will shoot well, that's the first mistake people make. That's like buying a used car with 200,000 miles on it and expecting perfect performance. Buy them thinking they will keyhole every shot from a bore that looks like a city sewer pipe, you can only be pleasantly surprised from there. I buy milsurps because I collect historical relics, for a good shooters I buy new commercial firearms and then scream like a stabbed pig if the performance doesn't meet what the manufacturer promised.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

cleanneon98 wrote:My concern is the looks of bore #1. I was using the wrong cleaning technique for a while and kept finding a rusty bore when I pulled it out of storage. I wonder if it can be rejuvenated
I think you like many others are overly bore conscious. We don't eat out of these things you just throw a bunch of powder and bullets down them and heat them up a bit. Like another poster suggested a lousy looking bore will sometimes shoot very well so don't get too hyper about the way it looks. As far as rust in the bore after you are done cleaning them take a wet with any good oil patch and swab the bore with it. Then before you shoot the rifle the next time run a dry patch through there. After a rifle has been stored a couple of years (which often happens here) that dry patch can be expected to have at least some color as JYD eludes to above. Don't freak out if it does show a little rust color just oil the bore again before putting it away again so the bore is again protected. I do know people who coat their bores with RIG, rust inhibiting grease, between shooting trips which I consider quite extreme in seeking protection of the bore and I kind of laugh when they do things like this. But to each his own as they say. Bill ;mywink;
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

Here is yet "another" pitch from me re: Ballistol. While not exactly cheap, its wonderful stuff. It is great on wood and leather as well as all things rifle :biggrin: . I currently am using a 10% Ballistol/water solution to remove corrosive salts, then brush, swab dry and coat with 100% Ballistol. If things ar particularly dirty I use Hoppes #9 on the brush/swab and then wipe down with the Ballistol.

NO ISSUES and I shoot A LOT of MilSup ammo. This also works on BP rifles :mrgreen:
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
kujuak

Ballistol & Water

Post by kujuak »

Can you heat this mixture for use in cleaning bores?
sgtheindl

Post by sgtheindl »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:As for good bores on a milsurp, never buy a millsurp with any expectation of a good bore, or a rifle that will shoot well, that's the first mistake people make. That's like buying a used car with 200,000 miles on it and expecting perfect performance. Buy them thinking they will keyhole every shot from a bore that looks like a city sewer pipe, you can only be pleasantly surprised from there. I buy milsurps because I collect historical relics, for a good shooters I buy new commercial firearms and then scream like a stabbed pig if the performance doesn't meet what the manufacturer promised.
Perfect logic. Wish my shooting buddies had the same understanding. :tongue:
I'm broke because I buy milsurps. I'm rich because I buy what I enjoy.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

sgtheindl wrote:
Junk Yard Dog wrote:As for good bores on a milsurp, never buy a millsurp with any expectation of a good bore, or a rifle that will shoot well, that's the first mistake people make. That's like buying a used car with 200,000 miles on it and expecting perfect performance. Buy them thinking they will keyhole every shot from a bore that looks like a city sewer pipe, you can only be pleasantly surprised from there. I buy milsurps because I collect historical relics, for a good shooters I buy new commercial firearms and then scream like a stabbed pig if the performance doesn't meet what the manufacturer promised.
Perfect logic. Wish my shooting buddies had the same understanding. :tongue:

Many people can not grasp the fact that we need not shave using the bore for a mirror but merely use it to shoot. That is their problem and your advantage when cleaning so enjoy with a smile! Bill :D