newby 1933 91/30 Izhevsk

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Gerry

newby 1933 91/30 Izhevsk

Post by Gerry »

So, here is my 1933 91/30 from Izhevsk. I purchased it from Cabelas on Saturday and since then I disassembled completely, steam cleaned all parts, oiled and reassembled. Today I pulled the bolt and polished everything along with checking the trigger pull which is at 4.6lbs down 1/2 a pound pre polishing! The trigger needs a little attention because it pulls the back of the bolt downward before releasing, and it is a little gritty....checked the firing pin height which is 0.084 average....I never got a tool/cleaning kit. The bore was filthy, but clear, clean and relatively sharp now along with being counter bored.

The butt stock has a few stamps? markings? one small circle maybe .5", then a larger circle with a star in it about 1", then a triangle all in a row. Not sure what they are? I'm still learning a ton about these weapons, so If I missed a few of the standard answers or pics please let me know.

thanks in advance....

Gerry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Re: newby 1933 91/30 Izhevsk

Post by bunkysdad »

Hi Gerry. Congrats on a beautiful looking rifle. See the left side in the finger groove on the stock? That cool little wood repair is what I really like on these old rifles. They had some wonderful craftsman that patched them back up and saved them from being replaced. My favorite rifles have similar stock repairs. You cleaned it up nicely. By the way, does that little triangle on the barrel near the receiver have a 1 in it, or is it a arrow?
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

bunkysdad wrote:Hi Gerry. Congrats on a beautiful looking rifle. See the left side in the finger groove on the stock? That cool little wood repair is what I really like on these old rifles. They had some wonderful craftsman that patched them back up and saved them from being replaced. My favorite rifles have similar stock repairs. You cleaned it up nicely. By the way, does that little triangle on the barrel near the receiver have a 1 in it, or is it a arrow?
Or is it a 25? :D
InOmaha

Post by InOmaha »

Welcome aboard.

I wish Cabelas would keep the mismatched bayonets and include the tool kit and sling. I have a bayonet that will require significant sanding or some filing to get it on. I can't even get the opening down far enoungh to try and turn it onto the front sight. So it's not much good for anything other than holding candles or roasting stuff over a fire. If it was ever issued to someone they never got a chance to use it.

Brian
Last edited by InOmaha on Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fintowin

Post by fintowin »

Nice clean hex. Cool little stock repair also. :thumbsup:
"The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good."
-George Washington
Gerry

Post by Gerry »

Thanks for the kind words! The big triangle has the arrow in it, then the little triangle on top of the big one has the number "1" in it.

There are actually 3 or 4 repairs on the stock.....one on each side up near the barrel....kind of like a half dove tail.

Yea, Cabelas bayonets are rough....mine will go on, but you gotta force it some. The checkout girl was trying to put it on backwards for packaging, and was just about to slam it on the barrel when I chucked 1/2 a spaz and asked her nicely to back away from the mosin! :biggrin:

In the pics below the stock has some markings, not sure what they mean? or maybe a soldier did them?

Gerry
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Nice :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
InOmaha wrote:I have a bayonet that will require significant sanding or some filing to get it on. I can't even get the opening down far enoungh to try and turn it onto the front sight.
No sanding needed. Just spread it with a large punch. If you spread it too far then just pinch it with some pliers or what ever. It spreads easy. :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Gerry

Post by Gerry »

I have a few marks I would like to decipher>>> just below tang screw
P 40
I 2 I
also>>> a circle with 50 inside? and a diamond with 21 inside

a diamond with rNc inside....I have a few of those around the gun

an oval with what looks like the Pii sing inside

and what looks like 2 upside down Nike swooshes one smaller then the other....

thanx, Gerry
sgtheindl

Post by sgtheindl »

Nice rifle. Sadly a majority of the markings are unknown. The only I know is the rnc diamond which is a proof mark for the Proof House of Klimovsk. That means the rifle came from Molot. It's a modern stamp that you can find more about in the Molot subforum.
I'm broke because I buy milsurps. I'm rich because I buy what I enjoy.
tjtM38

Post by tjtM38 »

Welcome. Great looking rifle. My '33 Izhevsk M91/30 is one of my favorite go to shooters. Mine loves the heavy ball ammo but shoots almost as good with light ball. You will love it. :thumbsup: :Drool1:
Gerry

Post by Gerry »

Thanks for the info guys!

I found out the oval with the Pii inside means it was black powder proofed....maybe I'll bore it out and build a musket! ...J/k

The more I look at the rcvr the more stamps I see! just found 2 small circles one in the other, and a real wierd stamp that looks like chinese writing? :)

the hunt continues!....checkemout....

Gerry
Fred_G

Post by Fred_G »

Nice looking rifle, interesting pool stick. :D :D
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
InOmaha

Post by InOmaha »

I think the bigger circle on your stock is the C.C.C.P. stamp. I don't know what the smaller cirlce is since mine doesn't show either. Maybe an arsenal stamp.
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

OK, was just looking at the rear sight... Do we have a '33 ex dragoon here?
kamakazi339

Post by kamakazi339 »

Yes it looks to be an ex-dragoon :pointup:

Also as to the cleaning kit they are very easy to come by. Ebay has em as well as amazon etc
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me I don't think this is an updated/ex-dragoon. There's no gap under the rear sight.

Here's a cleaning kit and they have other accessories. https://www.libertytreecollectors.com/p ... ategory=41
Gerry

Post by Gerry »

I guess there's another subject I need to add to the "need to learn" list!?....Dragoon

Sounds like something my Grandmom would call my high school buddies! :)

Gerry

i just went and checked the rear sight.....no gap, and its a 1933, so I don't think it is an ex-Dragoon?
jimpierce7

Post by jimpierce7 »

very nice rifle!!
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

OK, my eyes must have been playing games on me. That rear sight sure looked suspicious to me. Guess I wanted to see a '33 ED in the worst way :D