My "brood" or, "Lucky I'm not married!"

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
berkmberk1

My "brood" or, "Lucky I'm not married!"

Post by berkmberk1 »

Let me introduce you. Top to bottom: 1941 VKT with a full Imperial crest on the receiver ring, over-stamped with a rework stamp from the Budapest Arsenal, Hungary. Next is my first purchase, a 1942 Sako, and finally, a 1944 VKT in nearly new (at least as far as a M39 can be considered as such) condition. All are in war time stocks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SFC USA Ret.
1976-1998
Armor, Cavalry, Infantry, Recruiting, Transportation
1st Cav, 4 ID, 8 ID, 82d Airborne
gurn

Re: My "brood" or, "Lucky I'm not married!"

Post by gurn »

Nice ones! :thumbsup:
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
jdolinski

Post by jdolinski »

Very nice, love those M39's :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Destiny
is not a matter of
Chance
It is a matter of
Choice
redspoon

Post by redspoon »

Wow very nice :Drool1: now comeon man, you can't leave us hanging with just that one pic. How bout some close up individuals of each. :D
berkmberk1

Post by berkmberk1 »

I'm working on that. Here is a pic of the non-Finnish marking on the receiver ring if the '41 VKT. I know its not possible to say any one weapon saw combat, but considering how this one's stock is "beat to hell" from the wrist back, and almost the entire come, I would say this one has seen alot of "fire and maneuver". alot of low-crawling, and possibly some close quarters combat (i.e. Commie headbashing) When I get time and figure out how to do it, I want to take the action out of the stock, clean and oil it, and then scope out any hidden marks. I hear the receiver manufacturing date is down there somewhere. Actually, I plan to do that to all three and compile a listing of all the dates, and manufacturers of the various parts, realizing of course that Finnish rifles are a literal smorgasbord.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SFC USA Ret.
1976-1998
Ironnewt

Post by Ironnewt »

Look I'm married and I told her what I had and where it was. Then we went through the prices I paid. Then we checked some of the "selling" sites (GunBroker, GunsAmerica and so forth) and got some idea what she can get for this stuff. She decided that as long as the bills were paid and I wasn't chasing loose women or drinking expensive hootch, I could have an allowance to get what I wanted. :thumbsup:
Damn, I'll bet that's going to leave a mark! Probably hurt too!
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms,
you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could
identify their corporate sponsors."

"When I die, I want to be facing my enemies surrounded by their dead bodies and piles of spent brass"
"Never argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience." - Mark Twain

Judi and her Mosins

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

:soapbox:
What is the date on the tang ? Very good finds you have there. Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Lucky I ain't married and Thank God I'm a Country Boy, are things I remember to give thanks for every Thanksgiving :chuckles: :chuckles: Nice rifles :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
djbuck1

Post by djbuck1 »

This is a true story.

When I was a kid, I was hunting with my Dad and younger brother. We stopped by a big hunting cabin, and my brother took notice of the various rifles. He asked my Dad:

"How come all these guys have such nice rifles and we don't?" :|

My Dad was carrying a pretty beat-up milsurp Enfield and my brother and I had shotguns with slugs.

My Dad replied:

8-) "Those guys never got married. Or if they are married, they didn't have kids, so they can afford nice rifles."

Literally decades later, my brother reminded me of this story. He said, "Right then I vowed that if I ever got married, I'd never have kids." :wink:

And he never has!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Smart man :)
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Excellent triple 39s. :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
berkmberk1

Post by berkmberk1 »

Judi and her Mosins wrote::soapbox:
What is the date on the tang ? Very good finds you have there. Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;
After getting it out of the stock and wiping away 60-70 years (?) of grease, the maker and year saw the light of day once again. Drum roll please......brbrbrbrbrbrbrbrUM! TADA! Tula 1908! ((it
IMGP4134.jpg
a few more barrel marks. Underneath the wood, the barrel shows that this rifle was done up in a beautiful DEEP blue black.
SFC USA Ret.
1976-1998
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I hope if there were any shims under that action that you were careful to keep them in the proper order and place.
Theodore Roosevelt
TopperT

Post by TopperT »

Happiness is an m39 :thumbsup: , pure joy is three of them :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
berkmberk1

Post by berkmberk1 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:I hope if there were any shims under that action that you were careful to keep them in the proper order and place.
Only one, brass square.....forward, towards front ot receiver, and its tacked in.
SFC USA Ret.
1976-1998
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

Nice M39s :Drool1: :thumbsup: :Drool1:

Not every marriage is a miserable, regrettable mess :big shock: , I'm married and I have kids :shifty:

I musta went wrong somewhere at some point according to most of you :chuckles:
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

You a lucky man, everyone of the poor saps I know who got married ended up a miserable, regrettable mess, and I am being kind in that assesment. I ended up with some of their guns, and enough horror storys to put out a few episodes of the Jerry Springer show :beek: . I work a 12 hour day almost every day, haven't had a vacation lasting more than a day trip in 30 years, eat things scraped off the bottom of a burned pot, have holes in my socks, drive one piece of crap to be replaced by another piece of crap as soon as it dies, I haven't seen the top of my kitchen table since the Reagan administration, and some of these poor married bastards envy me :chuckles: My friend Pat chasing his wifes naked lover down the street...Mikes brother and the wife who liked knifes, the lady with the axe....and of course the one who ran her car through her husband and the garadge wall. Then we have the guys, just as messed up, that murder suicide last year, my old friend the cop who got capped by getting in the middle of ma&pa while arguing, the guy who took all the pills, Good ol' Mr shotgun in the mouth, and the one who gave his wife antifreeze and didn't think anyone would notice. Of yea, marrige in New York....why don't I just check myself into the rubber room now and save everyone the trouble.

By the way , what do you have the rifles displayed on? Looks like a super long pallet.
Theodore Roosevelt
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:why don't I just check myself into the rubber room now and save everyone the trouble.

By the way , what do you have the rifles displayed on? Looks like a super long pallet.
I've had those moments, where I feel like I was put in a round room and told to stand in the corner :chuckles:

The pallet is a one piece 16 footer, my homes vinyl siding, J-channel etc was strapped to it for delivery. It's tucked away in the basement now. Feels like it weighs a ton.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I remember the day about 18 years ago when a tenant of ours was here fooling around with his latest girlfriend out in his equipment trailer, I had seen them both go up the road, and fifteen minutes later I caught sight of his wife heading up that same road. Yea, I made myself invisable, she carried a S&W 357 mag in her purse, no way I was getting in the middle of that. I took an early long lunch, very long lunch, found out later that she chased them both for some time, police were involved, he ended up in an ugly divorce, and I tossed him and his sweetie the hell out. No way am I getting caught in the crossfire because that shit was going on.
Theodore Roosevelt
Joeinthehills

Post by Joeinthehills »

Greasemonkey wrote:Nice M39s :Drool1: :thumbsup: :Drool1:

Not every marriage is a miserable, regrettable mess :big shock: , I'm married and I have kids :shifty:

I musta went wrong somewhere at some point according to most of you :chuckles:
45 yrs later I could not be happier, right out of the Corps. and she kept thinking God was going to strike me dead for the language that I used. A Son and a Granddaughter to leave my most favorite pieces to w/ ammo to feed them, how do you spell blessed? :)

Just need to take both "my best friend" and "love of my life" out for some Fam Firing to keep in practice, as it's been 5 yrs since my regular quarterly quals / pistol & shotgun.

Her eyesight is not as good as it was, but with a wheel gun she can hold the group tighter than me at 15 yds. :angry4: