New to this site and looking for some info

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
berkmberk1

New to this site and looking for some info

Post by berkmberk1 »

Hi all......I new to this site, and to Mosin Nagants.......always wondered what anyone saw in Russian mass production..........at least until I read up on M39s! Now THATS my idea of product improvement. The lines are superb, the design alterations ingenious........and talk about recycling!!!! Pat Burns has been my source so far. I'm starting off a Finn collection by acquiring one for each year (40's). Then I want to look back and pick up a 27, and a 28 for the pre-war/Winter War era.

After getting my '42 Sako, I was perusing her sale list again and couldn't resist the urge.......ordered two more.......a "like new" VKT '44, and a doggish looking, 25% blue, '41 VKT.......it looks WELL USED (as I'm sure it was), but it has interesting markings........which leads to my question. Does anyone know of a GOOD, comprehensive listing of Hungarian Arsenal markings? I've run across most of the online references concerning the odd marks on Finn 39s, but I'd like to get some more in-depth info. The '41 VKT has an unblemished Imperial Eagle on the receiver ring. Overstamped is a capitol R and below and right and smaller in size are the letters "II" and a "k". I saw a strikingly similar mark represented on 7.62x54.net indicating what I suppose was the Budapest Arsenal reworking of an Imperial 91/30. Considering the date of the Finn remodeling, I would guess this is one of (or parts of) the Mosins they were scavenging for before, during, and after the Soviet invasion. What makes it so intriguing (and why I bought it) is the fact that the mark even exists! My first 39, the '42 Sako has the typical "dimple" where an Imperial crest was ground out. There is still a tiny foot, orb, and a scant part of a wing that didn't get obliterated on it. The one I have coming was never touched since the Hungarian over-stamp.

Anyone out there with any similar "not typical" receiver ring marks?

I'll take pictures when they arrive

Mike
SFC USA Ret.
1976-1998
Armor, Cavalry, Infantry, Recruiting, Transportation
1st Cav, 4 ID, 8 ID, 82d Airborne
BuckeyeSgt

Re: New to this site and looking for some info

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Welcome to the forum. I think what you are seeing letter wise is the ПК marking.
Line 9 row 3
http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinMarks01.htm
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
berkmberk1

Post by berkmberk1 »

Nope......not it. Look at "Other Countries" http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinMarks03.htm Line 13 column 3. I also found pics in my history files - I hope I added them correctly!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
SFC USA Ret.
1976-1998
Armor, Cavalry, Infantry, Recruiting, Transportation
1st Cav, 4 ID, 8 ID, 82d Airborne
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

The R looks just like the arsenal rework mark, right along with the crest and ПК proof commission mark. :thumbsup:
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
kamakazi339

Post by kamakazi339 »

welcome to the forum!
Judi and her Mosins

Post by Judi and her Mosins »

:soapbox:
Welcome to the RMNF. Those are some nice rifles. I just picked-up my first Finn awhile back. Been looking at more of them :brolleyes: . Hope to see more pictures and post from you. Judi and her Mosin's ;mywink;
And will you succeed? Yes indeed, yes indeed! Ninety-eight and three-quarters percent guaranteed!”
Dr. Seuss quote
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nice VKT :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

R more than likely some kind of rework inspection mark and what is below is a Russian proof mark. If you cut and paste them next to each other you will see a definite difference. Welcome aboard and Congrats on your new to you M39. Bill :wink: