What's With 91/30 Prices?

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Conman37

What's With 91/30 Prices?

Post by Conman37 »

I saw my first 91/30 at a local gun show about 5 years ago. The whole package was $79.00 and I decided I really had no use for one.

Slowly the prices went up and last year I bought one for $99.99 and I got a 1933 Hex receiver from Tula with all matching serial numbers. Appears to have never been used.

Last weekend at a local gun show there were a half dozen tables with the rifles being offered for $350?????????? Have they really gone up that much or were these guys fishing ? ? ?

There were also about thirty M1 Garands that looked to have new wood. Manufactured by H&R and Springfield Armory. All going for asking prices of $1,050.........I just can't think of any reason to own a Garand!!
WeldonHunter

Re: What's With 91/30 Prices?

Post by WeldonHunter »

Conman37 wrote:I saw my first 91/30 at a local gun show about 5 years ago. The whole package was $79.00 and I decided I really had no use for one.

Slowly the prices went up and last year I bought one for $99.99 and I got a 1933 Hex receiver from Tula with all matching serial numbers. Appears to have never been used.

Last weekend at a local gun show there were a half dozen tables with the rifles being offered for $350?????????? Have they really gone up that much or were these guys fishing ? ? ?

There were also about thirty M1 Garands that looked to have new wood. Manufactured by H&R and Springfield Armory. All going for asking prices of $1,050.........I just can't think of any reason to own a Garand!!
M91/30 refurbs are going from $120 to about $200 depending on what they are. Look here to see a cross section of what online vendors are asking. http://gun-deals.com/index.php?dealtype ... 4&subcat=5 $350 is more than fishing. It's way high. As for the Garand, I can't think of a reason not to own one. I love mine. They are a blast and mine is my favorite rifle, period.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Well it's really a high interest market partly due to the overall spike in all firearms interest including ammo, but also there is more info available online in forums like this one. It's kind of obvious that you are interested in guns, if you have been hanging out in gun stores and/or gun shows, but perhaps you just really aren't a milsurp guy. I say that because after 3 you still aren't infected. And the comment about the Garand. Unless you are interested in the historical aspect of US military arms then most likely a thousand dollar price tag would quickly be a turn off, when what's left is trying to justify the expense for a 30-06 rifle being a grand (many correct matching original WWII specimens go for 3-5 times that much) when you can go to a place like Cabelas, Bass Pro Shops, etc..... and buy a serious 30 caliber heavy barrel modern tack driver from Remington, Winchester, Browning, CZ, Ruger, or a ton of other names. Then top it with nice glass. Fancy hard rifle case. All for about a grand. Milsurp collecting is a serious disease that some of the best hunters or target shooters can go a life time without catching. Buying a Mosin off a table at a gunshow or in a sporting goods store may, or may not infect someone with this disease. Some people will look at a M1 Garand for 1050.00 and secretly beg God to give them enough time on this earth to be able to acquire one, while other serious modern gun lovers would not waste their money on such a outdated old rifle. I am trying to remember just one person, ever, that stated that a Garand didn't impress them. I cannot remember even one- until now.
Welcome back to the forum, and hang here as much as you can. You might find yourself picking up a Mosin soon, but I sure agree that 350.00 was just nuts. You should be able to find a nice refurb for under 150.00 with a little patience.
Russell
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

This isn't five years ago, just like it's not 25 years ago when I was paying $175 for a Garand. If I didn't have a Garand that $1000+ price would not hold me back from getting at least one. Inflation, limited supply, ever increasing demand from collectors, and the times themselves have all contributed to the prices you see now on things, get used to it, it's only going up from here.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bocephus

Post by bocephus »

The price peaked this year but it appears the market wouldn't accept the $200 price. Dunham's who sold them for $99 for quite a while priced them at $199, in their down to $129. The latest Cabelas ad is $129 and there's a place that has them for $120 shipped. The people who try to sell them for $300 are just idiots.
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

Conman37 wrote:I just can't think of any reason to own a Garand!!
You are on a site where history is valued as much if not more than utility and you cant think of a reason to own a Garand? Did you miss WW2 in History class? Its worth owning simply because Patton called it "the greatest battle implement ever devised". But hold your own Garand in your hands and put 8 rounds of 30.06 down range as fast as you can pull the trigger and listen to the PING... and maybe you will understand.
Cwcoolcow

Post by Cwcoolcow »

Conman37 wrote:........I just can't think of any reason to own a Garand!!
You're right. Everyone should own two! :-) :-)
Vendetta

Post by Vendetta »

Cwcoolcow wrote:
Agreed. I want a Winchester... And an International Harvester... And an H&R... And a 5 digit serial... And a sniper.... And....
blewisjr

Post by blewisjr »

I just ordered a 91/30 and it is on it's way. Not sure what it is going to be most people say the ones they got ranged from 1939 - 1942. The rifle itself was about $129 and I got some ammunition to go with it. Total came to about $270 shipped to a buddy of my dad's who has a Class 3 FFL. Really excited and can't wait. But yes while I was looking around the average price I saw was from $130 to about $275.
lalunette

Post by lalunette »

Cwcoolcow wrote:
One for each hand !!! :big shock:
matt167

Post by matt167 »

I overspent on my 91/30 at a local gunshop but I knew I did. The owners ran the place for 30 years, nice guy and the gun was everything he said it was. 1932 Tula Hex with red sight numbers and looks practically brand new for an 80 year old rifle ( not a bubba/ refinish ).. My M44 I paid the going rate for and got a decent gun... Next on the list is an M1 Garand, regardless of price. $1k for a nice one is a good deal, tho CMP still has some service grade at $625
Joeinthehills

Post by Joeinthehills »

Vendetta wrote:
Cwcoolcow wrote:
Agreed. I want a Winchester... And an International Harvester... And an H&R... And a 5 digit serial... And a sniper.... And....
I certainly agree... (1) H& R 570.00 in 2001, (1) IHC 300.00 in 1995, (1) Springfield 420.00 in 2000, & (1) Springfield 319.00 in 200.00. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The H&R was a "Select Grade" that they don't offer any longer Excellent condition hence the price back in 2001. :bwink:
Conman37

Post by Conman37 »

[quote="bunkysdad"
Welcome back to the forum, and hang here as much as you can. You might find yourself picking up a Mosin soon, but I sure agree that 350.00 was just nuts. You should be able to find a nice refurb for under 150.00 with a little patience.
Russell[/quote]

You missed this part of my post. I have a 91/30 that is extremely nice and I'm happy with it.

My comments about the Garand were not adverse............just comments on what appeared to be new rifles at an affordable price.......if someone wants a Garand.
BenedictGomez

Post by BenedictGomez »

bocephus wrote:The price peaked this year but it appears the market wouldn't accept the $200 price. Dunham's who sold them for $99 for quite a while priced them at $199, in their down to $129. The latest Cabelas ad is $129 and there's a place that has them for $120 shipped. The people who try to sell them for $300 are just idiots.
Yup, common sense has replaced "fear" and "stupidity" in the market. Common 91/30s will be back to $119.99 or $129.99 soon at most places.

I think it's hysterical how Cabelas prices them at $199.99, but they're continuously "on sale" for $129 to $159. lol. They must think their customers are idiots.
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

The last show I was at in AZ had tables with the $350.00 Mosins also, like everyone else said, idiots. The local market here in no way will support that price and if a person were to actually see one of those over priced rifles that filled a slot in their collection there is no throwing out an offer, "hey I'll offer you $125.00 for that rifle marked $350.00" nope, with those asking prices anyone who knows the market just keeps walking.

(The Garand is about my favorite rifle to go out and shoot with, overall just an example of excellence)
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Gsragtop

Post by Gsragtop »

BenedictGomez wrote:
bocephus wrote:The price peaked this year but it appears the market wouldn't accept the $200 price. Dunham's who sold them for $99 for quite a while priced them at $199, in their down to $129. The latest Cabelas ad is $129 and there's a place that has them for $120 shipped. The people who try to sell them for $300 are just idiots.
Yup, common sense has replaced "fear" and "stupidity" in the market. Common 91/30s will be back to $119.99 or $129.99 soon at most places.

I think it's hysterical how Cabelas prices them at $199.99, but they're continuously "on sale" for $129 to $159. lol. They must think their customers are idiots.
No it's just basic marketing, people want to think they are getting a deal. JC penny's adopted a no sales, sales model and there sales promptly took a dive followed by there stocks, almost bankrupted the company (and I'm talking so close they may still close if this holiday season is a bust for them).. Not to worry the ass hat CEO who ran another store into the ground got a nice golden parachute.
Tcmosin

Post by Tcmosin »

Been watching the local stores, Dunhams was at $199, not to many leaving the store. Gander mountain has had a bunch also at $179. Today's adds Dunhams is at $139 and ammo cans $99.
Prices seem to be on the way down.
The very atmosphere of firearms anywhere and everywhere restrains evil interference - they deserve a place of honor with all that's good.
George Washington
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

We are at a typical lull in sales after significant price increases. Look for favorable pricing in the coming month or so to help move inventory.
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
musketjon

Post by musketjon »

I just paid $179 for a '38 round receiver Tula last night but that's the going rate here in the southern end of the PRK. 2 years ago they were only $120, but that was 2 years ago. This is now. Prices are also dependent on demographics.
Jon
Gunowner99

Post by Gunowner99 »

Now I'm getting nervous. I may buy another!