The last of the greatest generation. R.I.P.

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Longcolt44
Administrator
Administrator

The last of the greatest generation. R.I.P.

Post by Longcolt44 »

The oldest living Medal of Honor recipient -- who singlehandedly took out two machine gun bunkers during the Battle of the Bulge despite being wounded -- died Friday night at a New Jersey hospital.
Nicholas Oresko, a former U.S. Army master sergeant who served during World War II, died at Englewood Hospital and Medical Center in New Jersey, hospital officials said Saturday. He was 96.
The hospital expressed condolences in a statement that lauded Oresko as “a true American hero.”
A November 2011 story on the U.S. Department of Defense website said Oresko was the oldest living Medal of Honor recipient.
Oresko, a native of Bayonne, N.J., received the medal from President Harry Truman on Oct. 30, 1945, according to the U.S. Army Center of Military History’s website. The Medal of Honor is the highest award bestowed upon members of the Armed Services of the United States.
Oresko was a platoon leader when his unit was hit by deadly machine gun fire near Tettington, Germany, on Jan. 23, 1945. According to the Medal of Honor official citation, “braving bullets which struck about him” Oresko moved close enough to throw a grenade into a German bunker. He then rushed the bunker to kill the remaining enemy soldiers.
Machine gun fire from another position then seriously wounded him in the hip, but he attacked the bunker alone with a grenade, then finished off the German troops manning it with his rifle, according to the citation.
Despite his wound and blood loss, Oresko refused to be evacuated “until assured the mission was successfully accomplished.”
The Army veteran had been hospitalized after injuring himself in a fall at an assisted living center in Cresskill, according to The Associated Press. He died of complications from surgery for a broken right femur.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
FREEDOM...USE IT OR LOSE IT!!
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Re: The last of the greatest generation. R.I.P.

Post by Rongo »

A good & Honorable Man & Hero. :USA Flag: :USA Flag: :USA Flag:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

I was impressed at how veterans and current members of the armed forces stayed at his side as he had no living relatives, thanks for posting. :USA Flag:
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:USA Flag:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Cosmoline guy

Post by Cosmoline guy »

God speed, Sarge! :USA Flag:
Steve The Pirate

Post by Steve The Pirate »

:USA Flag:
Everyone appreciates your honesty, until you're honest with them, then you're an asshole - George Carlin
finloq

Post by finloq »

And now he will be that courageous young man, forever.
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
Celt

Post by Celt »

ten hut!!!!

:hunter: :hunter: :hunter: :hunter: :hunter: :hunter: :hunter:

:bravo: :bravo:
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

:USA Flag: :USA Flag: :USA Flag:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Silk#2

Post by Silk#2 »

:USA Flag: :hunter: :hunter: :hunter: :hunter: :hunter: :hunter: :hunter: :USA Flag:
The 8
dou44

Post by dou44 »

they do not make many like that any more. rest in peace brother.
yiping

Post by yiping »

:USA Flag: :USA Flag: :USA Flag:
matt167

Post by matt167 »

:USA Flag:RIP. I remember him being honored in 2011.. He is an honorable hero.. :USA Flag:
kamakazi339

Post by kamakazi339 »

I have great respect for him and all of the service members that came before me. They fought a much different much harder war. Sad to know that they are slowly fading into history. They will be missed :b sad:
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

A true hero, it is rewarding to see how he was honored.
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

A true American Hero from The Greatest Generation. Thank for your service Sir, RIP. :USA Flag: :USA Flag: :USA Flag:
husker51

Post by husker51 »

God bless you sir. May we always remember the sacrifice of that great generation and of those who paid the ultimate price. :vsad:
________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
"A people that values its privileges above its principles soon loses both."
- Dwight D. Eisenhower (1890-1969), Inaugural Address, January 20, 1953
bws

Post by bws »

Rest in peace brother, those who have followed in your footsteps as a result of your bravery, honor and selflessness, will stand guard so you may rest.
================================================
I walk through the valley... but I will not fear. The shadow is mine, so is the valley.
rice paddy daddy

Post by rice paddy daddy »

"Ten-Hut!"
"Pree-Sent Arms!"

(The sound of Taps being played)

"Orr-Der Arms"

Carry on good and faithful Sergeant. You are with your buddies once again.
Member: Veterans of Foreign Wars, Vietnam Veterans of America, American Legion, AMVETS, Society of the 5th Infantry Division
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

RIP :USA Flag: :USA Flag: :USA Flag: