My very special Finn (M91)

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
mosinowner

My very special Finn (M91)

Post by mosinowner »

My ex Dragoon Capture.
Receiver is a French Chatellerault.
Belgian "B" barrel with "VKT" "D" and Liege Proof marks...
..and I believe the trigger is American.
Also has the WW1 German capture marks on the receiver.

Picked this up about a year ago for $120.00 including reloading dies for 7.62x54R and some loaded brass cartridges.
A real DEAL!!!

Last edited by mosinowner on Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
gurn

Re: My very special Finn (ex Dragoon Capture)

Post by gurn »

:pointup: That my friend is an Uber deal! A beautiful example to boot! Congrats on that one and thanks for the great close up pics. Welcome to the club and hope to see more of your photography skills. :thumbsup:
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
Gsragtop

Post by Gsragtop »

Wow what a deal !!! Did you hold a gun on the guy?? Truly a crown jewel to any collection.
mosinowner

Post by mosinowner »

I'm a pro photographer, but these I took with my little canon point & shoot (Canon S90)...it has a fantastic closeup macro capability...

:-)
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Wow, fantastic rifle at a great price. It would have been a Chatellerault M91, not a dragoon before it was rebarreled by the Finns. So it is still in the same M91 configuration. Looks like the receiver may have German marks on it too.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
mosinowner

Post by mosinowner »

I forgot to mention the mirror shiny barrel with nice grooves......
The rifle is about 4 inches longer than the 91/30, so I think you are correct that this is NOT an ex Dragoon, but a M91.
..and yes those are German capture marks (I believe to be from WW1).
Last edited by mosinowner on Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
gurn

Post by gurn »

Being a pro photographer I bet you can get great bore pics " hent"
Sé onr sverdar sitja hvass! - May your swords stay sharp!
Lotema

Post by Lotema »

:big shock: Wow, you stole that right out from under them! I thought I got a good deal on my "B" barrel last week but this one absolutely takes the cake!!! I think you've got a part from every single arsenal known to have made Mosins! That is one very beautiful rifle, congratulations!
Lotema
Argue for your limitations, and sure enough they're yours. -- Richard Bach
mosinowner

Post by mosinowner »

The capture marks "VII 58" on my Mosin match the group # in this photo....

desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Very nice B barrel M91. Has some good history on the receiver and liege marked barrel. Super good deal for 120. These go for over 500 nowa days.
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Sven278

Re: My very special Finn (M91)

Post by Sven278 »

What an excellent find for an even better price!
mosinowner

Post by mosinowner »

Well, I now think this IS an ex dragoon.....anyone with info please chime in here...

My rear site looks like the ex dragoon style as seen in this photo I found in the forum..

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3373&p=48850&hilit= ... oon#p48850

I'll have to measure length of rifle when I get home....I think it was over 50 inches....I do know it is roughly 3-4 inches longer than any of my other 91/30's..
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

This is a Finnish M91 B barrel. Barrel was made in Belgium for finland. Some have Liege proofs like yours. Not all. It is not a Dragoon or ex dragoon. The receiver was captured on a m91 or dragoon from Russia by Germany and then later sold to finland and then the receiver was reused on this M91 by finland. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
mosinowner

Post by mosinowner »

From top to bottom:

Finnish M91 (Same rifle as photos above in this post)
Tula 1930 Hex 91/30
Izhevsk 1942 Round 91/30
Hungarian 1952 M44

TopperT

Post by TopperT »

ihateyouihateyoiuihateyouihateyouihateyou!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;mywink; ;mywink; ;mywink; ;mywink; :big shock: :big shock: :big shock: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1: .................That really must top the top of the Bucket List ;mywink; ......sincere congratulations on a masterpiece. WOW..... :thumbsup: :pointup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :pointup:
"GO AND SMELL THE MOSINS"
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

The receiver has the early grease hole too. Nice. Your rifle was a straight-up M91 infantry rifle in its previous incarnation. Chatellerault never made a dragoon model. Keep checking ebay etc for a handguard. They have become very pricey lately though.
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
mosinowner

Post by mosinowner »

Thanks for the info!
And yes, the upper hand guard was the only thing missing.
I'm keeping a lookout for one.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

I missed the grease hole shot. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
mosinowner

Post by mosinowner »

I'm guessing that with the grease hole, this French receiver must have been made between 1892-1893.
Thoughts?
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

mosinowner wrote:I'm guessing that with the grease hole, this French receiver must have been made between 1892-1893.
Thoughts?
Maybe early '94 at the latest. :thumbsup: