Would like advice on Remington 1903a3

All collectible military bolt rifles are discussed here. From all countries around the world.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. Please read the rules at the top of each forum.
RazorBurn

Would like advice on Remington 1903a3

Post by RazorBurn »

A fellow I trade around with called me today out of the blue. He has a 1903a3 Remington for sale, and of course knows I like old battle rifles. He started out at $375.00, but dropped to $350.00 pretty quick on the phone. What's the problem you ask, of course the only problem is that it's been sporterized. The way he talked is that it has only had the stock replaced with a monte carlo stock. Original parkerization is on all proper parts, nothing has been cut down, has the original front and rear sights, and it has not been drilled and tapped.

I told him to bring it by the shop tomorrow, and if the rifle itself hasn't been molested other than the stock I'd have some serious interest in it. If it ends up looking as good as he says it is, I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy it. Then of course I'll have to get ready to spend $200.00 or so on a good used stock and band set up.

Knowing what nice 03a3's are bringing now, I think it's a pretty good deal even keeping in mind I'll have to sink another $200.00 in it getting rid of the sporter stock. Of course I plan on trying to get it for a little less, but knowing him he's not going to budge much more. I already have a cherry Remington 03a3, so I don't need another one. Picking up this one is more for the fun of restoring it to it's former glory and then flip it for a little profit.

What your all's opinion? Good deal, decent deal, or walk away. If you all tell me to walk away you're going to have a hard time convincing me, but I'll try to keep an open mind. :biggrin:
Threadkiller extraordinaire...
Jumperwire
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Would like advice on Remington 1903a3

Post by Jumperwire »

I've always admired people who have the patience for "finding that one little part" to make it correct again.
I on the other hand, have always said. " If I had patients, I'd be a Doctor" :mrgreen:
Good luck :thumbsup:
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

Price is about right, yep the stock will probably be expensive. Try getting the rifle for $300.00 you'll have a few additional parts as you know bands and stuff that will add to the cost, still you should end up with a decent O3A3 someday. :thumbsup:
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

If it's as advertised then it's worth the time and money to put right. It's a hall of a lot easier to find a US M1903-A3 stock than it is to find some Finn, or M1891 Mosin stocks.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:If it's as advertised then it's worth the time and money to put right. It's a hall of a lot easier to find a US M1903-A3 stock than it is to find some Finn, or M1891 Mosin stocks.
You've got that right! I'm still looking for a Finn M27 stock to install on mine and remove the 91/30 stock I temporarily put my M27 in.
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

Well, the rifle is mine. It's all Remington, perfect park, and just real clean. Two groove Remington 9-43 barrel with receiver 41568** serial number, so based on the serial number I'm going to say there's a good chance it's the original barrel.

I'll post pictures when I get home tonight. Now it's time to find a decent deal on a stock set, front sight cover, and stock hardware. I've got a few leads for those.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:vcool: :vcool: :thumbsup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

With the A3 you rarely see a replacement barrel, they had a very short service life, the two groove wartime barrels were original, and very accurate.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
TulaTom

Post by TulaTom »

Sounds like a good deal to me. Like Jim said, much easier finding a stock for this than it is for a M91. I actually had a guy offer me one of the keystone stocks yesterday. The 1903a3's are climbing in price.
Celt

Post by Celt »

:thumbsup:
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
Winston Churchill

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

Here are some pictures of the rifle. I have a stock set ordered from Numrich, and a stock hardware set ordered from Sarco. Hopefully they'll be in mid next week, and I'll have her back to her former self by the weekend. The previous owner painted the front sight tip white, but I'm sure I'll be able to remove the paint pretty easily. Now, I just need to pick up a front sight hood.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Almost nice :bwink: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
CalFed

Post by CalFed »

Looks nice. An added bonus...looks like it has a milled 1903 trigger guard, instead of the stamped 03A3.
Dan4good

Post by Dan4good »

are the A3's more or less valuable than first 1903's?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Less, or the same considering condition. Find a original M1903 that has never seen a refurb and the price will go way higher than a A3.
Theodore Roosevelt
Dan4good

Post by Dan4good »

theres a springfield 1903 at my ffl in good shape the only negs it appers to be refinished and the rear sight slide just flops around the consignment price is 599
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Sights can be fixed, without lots of good pics I couldn't offer much in the way of advice on the rifle.
Theodore Roosevelt
RazorBurn

Post by RazorBurn »

Dan4good wrote:theres a springfield 1903 at my ffl in good shape the only negs it appers to be refinished and the rear sight slide just flops around the consignment price is 599
Flash $500 cash and I bet it follows you out the door. I'll buy any 03's or 03a3's I can find in good shape for 5 to 6 hundred every day all day long if I could afford it.
Dan4good

Post by Dan4good »

i have a 500 dollar in store credit with him and hes mostly got new firearms that springfield is one of two old firearms the other a 54 tula or maybe was a 53 tula sks missing upper hand guard and bayonet and original 10 rd mag gone with a 30 in instead. nothing has really made me go ill take that one yet i would like to get my first 45 acp pistol and a 1911 at that but not in a rush to choose somthing
rice paddy daddy

Post by rice paddy daddy »

I have a Remington 1903A3 that is in original configuration (but non numbers matching). It has the serial number in electropencil on the bolt which I've been told is a Greek send-back. It came through the CMP, I got it for $600.
Just thought I'd post that for comparison purposes.
Member: Veterans of Foreign Wars, Vietnam Veterans of America, American Legion, AMVETS, Society of the 5th Infantry Division