Must of have been the stripes.

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
redspoon

Must of have been the stripes.

Post by redspoon »

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewIt ... =358382498

I thought it was a little high for a 91/59, but someone liked it. That stock is pretty sweet though.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Must of have been the stripes.

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Bubba been at it, that front sight, the stock finish looks like oil, the blue is either well worn or it was not reblued at the time of the overhaul, something I don't believe I have seen on a '59. Cleaning rod seems to have taken a powder,
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
finloq

Post by finloq »

Steel wool, hell! It looks like they took fine sandpaper to that metal.
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

You know I love 91/59's but I would have taken a pass on this one especially for that price. Don't know if it has a bubba oil treatment. This could still be the original grease slapped on it for storage. I can't believe how many rifles are passed around and never cleaned. Interesting that the barrel seems to retain it's bluing and the shank and receiver are at about 20%. Go figure... I could have been interested if the serial number had been stamped on the butt stock - maybe... But basically :vomit3:
Dan4good

Post by Dan4good »

:pointup:
Three_Dogs

Post by Three_Dogs »

:pointup: :pointup:

AGREED!
If corporations are people, when will we see one executed?
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

I would have gone a buck seventy five on this, and only because I know just how special a shooter most of the 91/59's are. They are also rare these days, Bubba f***'d it up, but not past the point of no return.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Junk Yard Dog wrote:I would have gone a buck seventy five on this, and only because I know just how special a shooter most of the 91/59's are. They are also rare these days, Bubba f***'d it up, but not past the point of no return.
Perhaps :D

If you want to get PO'd check this 91/59 ad out from a Michigan forum...

Up for sale is a all numbers matching in excellent condition 91/59 mosin nagant. Wood and metal are excellent and the bore is shiney and very good rifling. Rifle is in original military configuration.

Rifle has some customization by a certified gunsmith. A bore mounted scope mount has been installed topped with a 4x-16x50 sniper scope with lighted mildot reticle. The bolt has been custom bent and reinforced and the trigger has been smoothed and reduced to 3 pounds of pull.

Great shooter and accurate.

Trades will be entertained.

My heart sank when I read this and he wants $500 for it :angry4:
NETNshawn

Post by NETNshawn »

I'll confess. :oops: After watching it for 12 days with no bids I decided to put a low bid on it because of the tiger stripped stock. Out of the blue with 5 mins left someone out bid me so I tried one more bid. Same thing, with 5 mins to go they jumped the bid up again. It was not worth it to me even when I submitted the 2nd bid but you know how it goes. I let it go after the 2nd time they outbid me and it put the rifle at $380.00 shipped. I'm suspicious with the bidding anyways since no one paid attention to it until I placed a bid. Makes me believe that someone associated with the seller was bumping the price.
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

People often wait till the end of an auction to place a bid, but the ones I am suspicious of are new bidders with no prior history or feedback
Emdawg

Post by Emdawg »

I hate Gunbroker. I lose everytime.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

NETNshawn wrote:I'll confess. :oops: After watching it for 12 days with no bids I decided to put a low bid on it because of the tiger stripped stock. Out of the blue with 5 mins left someone out bid me so I tried one more bid. Same thing, with 5 mins to go they jumped the bid up again. It was not worth it to me even when I submitted the 2nd bid but you know how it goes. I let it go after the 2nd time they outbid me and it put the rifle at $380.00 shipped. I'm suspicious with the bidding anyways since no one paid attention to it until I placed a bid. Makes me believe that someone associated with the seller was bumping the price.
That is called shill bidding and it is a common practice on the auction sites. I have never done it myself on GB or eBay but I know many who have. GB resets the counter by 15 minutes if you bid at the last second so snipe bidding doesn't work well there ( when someone waits for the last five seconds to outbid you) But it gives lots of time to shill bidders. If the rifle shows up for sale again in a day/week/or month you will know it was a shill. Still could just have been a guy who wanted it bad and was waiting eBay style to jump your claim at the last second and didn't know about the reset policy.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Emdawg wrote:I hate Gunbroker. I lose everytime.
It's become much harder now that milsurps are more expensive and in short supply. Some people will overpay if need be to get something because they may not be able to find it any other way closer to home. Keep trying and you should get something sooner or later, but keep in mind if you bid on very popular items you had best be ready to spend.
Theodore Roosevelt
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

It's an early import & looks to have been well used. Yes, there are some scratches on the metal but it might be from honest use. Front sight globe is missing.... Might have gotten busted off at some point. And yes, it looks like someone may have refinished the stock recently. I woulda passed...
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

The sight globe looks cut off. Just left the pin. Easy enough fix. It's on a dovetail slot.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Emdawg wrote:I hate Gunbroker. I lose everytime.
I hold the record for lost auctions. However even I have won 6 or 7. (out of thousands) :biggrin:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
James811

Post by James811 »

desdem12 wrote:Emdawg wrote:I hate Gunbroker. I lose everytime.
I hold the record for lost auctions. However even I have won 6 or 7. (out of thousands) :biggrin:
Des, that is probably because your limit tends to be $123.45. That amount won't get you very far nowadays. Lol

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4
"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy if possible."
- Stonewall Jackson
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

It's always good for a chuckle when you see that bid of $123.45 on a rifle you know will go for a grand or more :)
Theodore Roosevelt
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Futility is not in my vocabulary............ :lol: You would be surprised at how many times that number is just right. :thumbsup: Also I might surprise you with a higher bid one time....say 134.56. :shock: :lol:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
target

Post by target »

I'm gonna agree with Rongo, that gun looks like it's been issued and just seen a life of use.

Had I known about it and had the money, I probably would of been tempted. It's interesting, it appears that it's in an m38 stock