The Secret is Out

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
catcracker

The Secret is Out

Post by catcracker »

Yes. I hid a few purchases away in the house so the wife would not get mad. Well, I slipped up, so now she knows. I have learned my lesson.
The good news is I can show you some of what I had hidden in the attic. The bad news is I am not buying any more rifles until 2014. :oops:
First one up is a 1935 Tula Ex-Sniper. I fired it today for the first time, and is my most accurate yet. I was very surprised. I thought that since it was a retired sniper, with no counterbore, that it might not be a good shooter. But it is very nice. I have grown quite attached to it. The detail in the stampings are very clear. And the wood looks incredible. There are some comments/questions with the pictures. Thanks for reading. Cat

You can almost see the stamping on the stock. Also notice the escutcheons at the rear. It may be common. But I have never seen a half escutcheon in the rear. I love it.

Cut out in the stock. Is this the type of repair done on snipers?

Hard to see, but I think these are welds.

Not a good picture of the C U stamp.

MarksmanTim

Re: The Secret is Out

Post by MarksmanTim »

Very nice! How many welded holes are there? You can usually see them clearly from the inside. Interesting that the stock seems like it is also an ex-sniper, but I think the circle stamps barely visible make it an Izhevsk stock, so it isn't matching ex-sniper metal and wood but an unlikely coincidence!
Tim

Favorites of the collection:
1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
catcracker

Post by catcracker »

MarksmanTim wrote:Very nice! How many welded holes are there? You can usually see them clearly from the inside. Interesting that the stock seems like it is also an ex-sniper, but I think the circle stamps barely visible make it an Izhevsk stock, so it isn't matching ex-sniper metal and wood but an unlikely coincidence!
:pointup:
The website 7.62x54r.net has some stock markings that are round, that don't seem to be arsenal markings. Maybe that could be it. I will have to look more closely. I will have to get back with you on the holes.
millman
Administrator
Administrator

Post by millman »

If you can buy no more rifles, is she on the no new shoes and purses program?
“Freedom is the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.” George Orwell, English novelist, essayist, and critic, 1903-1950

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C. S. Lewis
catcracker

Post by catcracker »

To be fair, I was very much in the wrong. Just glad to be out of that situation. (I know you were joking) Lucky for me, she is a penny pincher like me. So no other spending problems for us.
But..........

Look out 2014. Here I come.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Nice ex, Cat :vcool: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Nice rifles, I don't get it, why did you have to hide such nice rifles in the first place?
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
qz2026

Post by qz2026 »

Nice :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

First time I have seen the turned down washer escutcheons in the butt stock. I am sure it was as common to do that during the war as it was to just leave the sling hole open.
daveshady

Post by daveshady »

Investments brother, that's the sales pitch.

1. They are inexpensive
2. They are going up in value.
3. They are also historic and have value in educational purposes.
4. They would be excellent defensive weapons when big bro takes other guns.
5. They are a much better hobby then gambling n strippers.
6. Someday when the the time is right we can cash in and enjoy OUR investment

That should help out! When u see that 1941 tula at a pawn shop before 2014
Remember these talking points!
Dan4good

Post by Dan4good »

both my ex snipers have repaird stocks same place as yours
etprescottazusa91

Post by etprescottazusa91 »

daveshady wrote:Investments brother, that's the sales pitch.

1. They are inexpensive
2. They are going up in value.
3. They are also historic and have value in educational purposes.
4. They would be excellent defensive weapons when big bro takes other guns.
5. They are a much better hobby then gambling n strippers.
6. Someday when the the time is right we can cash in and enjoy OUR investment

That should help out! When you see that 1941 Tula at a pawn shop before 2014
Remember these talking points!

Nice rifle, :thumbsup: I make it a point to never have them all out at once, I get different ones out from time to time so it's hard to tell if i have a new one. The investment angle does not work in my case because she knows I won't sell any.
"Fast is fine, But accuracy is everything" Wyatt Earp

"This year will go down in history. For the first time, a civilized nation has full gun registration. Our streets will be safer, our police more efficient, and the world will follow our lead into the future!"
Adolph Hitler – 1933
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Good looking rifle cracker! Glad you got a clear understanding, and hopefully buying ammo won't make waves. :P
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Nice one Cat. :thumbsup: I bet you have at least one more stashed away. :lol:
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
wolfstein

Post by wolfstein »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :Drool1: Nice rifles. I can't buy any because I'm broke right now. :chuckles:
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

MarksmanTim wrote:Very nice! How many welded holes are there? You can usually see them clearly from the inside. Interesting that the stock seems like it is also an ex-sniper, but I think the circle stamps barely visible make it an Izhevsk stock, so it isn't matching ex-sniper metal and wood but an unlikely coincidence!
Again that stock being repaired like that does not in anyway mean it is an ex-sniper stock. That is just a very common repair for a very weak spot on the stocks for most all Mosins.

I am guessing that is perhaps a PEM or PE sniper by the year and number of holes welded over. If that were an ex-sniper stock it looks to have been cut for a PU type scope. Again these are refurbs and they get their parts for the most part out of piles of parts so their history is as muddled and the piles are. Bill
Last edited by zeebill on Sun Aug 11, 2013 3:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
shoto2758

Post by shoto2758 »

Thats a nice one..
:thumbsup:
Do Not Think Of Winning.
Think,Rather,Of Not Losing

Gichin Funakoshi
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Wouln't it be cool to find a video of the arsenal refurb program so we could see those bins full of parts?
mahduk45044

Post by mahduk45044 »

wolfstein wrote::thumbsup: :thumbsup: :Drool1: Nice rifles. I can't buy any because I'm broke right now. :chuckles:
I know the feeling, Wolf. However, there's a pawn shop in the next town over from where I live that does have a sweet layaway plan. 20% down and 90 days to pay it off. Of course they can offer a better price if you pay cash but for folks like us the layaway option at least holds the gun for us so it doesn't sell before we have all the cash. I've gotten a couple of guns from them this way. Is something like that an option for you?
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you...
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

I hide nothing from the wife. If she doesn't like it & wants a divorce they will all mysteriously disappear in a flash. What guns are you talking about Honey dear??? Screw that. :roll:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
Titanium Hammer

Post by Titanium Hammer »

Very nice! :Drool1: 8-) :thumbsup: