Extra Hardware on M38 Stock???

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
jm190

Extra Hardware on M38 Stock???

Post by jm190 »

Hi All,
I brought home a 1943 Izhevsk M38 today. It's a Century Arms import. I figured out how to get it out of layaway early. Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has seen anything like the hardware installed on this stock before. There's a, what looks like a miniature crossbolt, installed in the stock in the hand grip, see pictures. The stock is not cracked and it does not connect to the rear action screw in any way.

The other bit of hardware is a shim installed under where the magazine/trigger guard is held in place by the screw that anchors the receiver to the stock and the cross bolt. Could this have been installed when it was refurbed? The rifle looks like it has seen very little use since it was refurbed so I doubt a previous owner did this. It actually has little tabs that hold it in place. The action sits in the stock quite well and there is no movement or rocking in the stock, except front to back against the cross bolt.

As a new guy your expert comments would be most appreciated!

Thanks!
John

John
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Re: Extra Hardware on M38 Stock???

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

NIce, some hardwood stocks do have the extra crossbolt, it's normal, a high crack prone area on a Mosin stock, maybe they were worried this one was planning to crack and they added it. Shim is normal also, done to fit the action properly in the wood.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
jdolinski

Post by jdolinski »

I just picked up an M44 with the extra cross bolt in the same place. :thumbsup:
Destiny
is not a matter of
Chance
It is a matter of
Choice
BuckeyeSgt

Post by BuckeyeSgt »

Let's see the rest! That was just a tease. :biggrin: :chuckles:
Некто кроме нас
US Army 90-94 98G Russian
Army Reserves 94-98 37F
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

:lol: :pointup:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Three_Dogs

Post by Three_Dogs »

:pointup: :pointup: :pointup:
If corporations are people, when will we see one executed?
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

The use of a shim, or several in some cases is typically done to improve accuracy by improving the fit and finish of the action, or trigger guard in the stock.
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

jdolinski wrote:I just picked up an M44 with the extra cross bolt in the same place. :thumbsup:
Common on any Mosin made during the Soviet era. :thumbsup:
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

bunkysdad wrote:The use of a shim, or several in some cases is typically done to improve accuracy by improving the fit and finish of the action, or trigger guard in the stock.

In this case the shim is on the mag so it was used to make the mag feed the action better. If they are both places, on the action and the mag they are trying to get both where they want them so the rifle will both fire accurately and feed properly. Those little shims really help out when they are placed with knowledge of what you are doing. As JYD always says when you open the rifle and take it from the stock you must be very careful not to loose their placement or drop them on the ground and lose them completely. Sometimes they are tacked in place but often they are not. If one is missed or not in the same placement that it came in it can create accuracy or feed problems. Bill
jm190

Re: Extra Hardware on M38 Stock??? Photos Added

Post by jm190 »

OK, here you go! I had to clean her up and find out how she shoots before I posted photos.
That's 15 shots from 25 yards, standing. Please, no snickering at my shooting skills!
I think you have to click on the thumbnail to see the whole image.

John
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Looks like a great shooter also. :thumbsup: :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)