M28 Mosin with no D on the bbl

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
daveshady

M28 Mosin with no D on the bbl

Post by daveshady »

Tang, Tikka BBL is that safe to shoot regular commercial new mfg ammo thru it?

The Feral Machinist

Re: M28 Mosin with no D on the bbl

Post by The Feral Machinist »

That looks vaguely familiar. Gunbroker win??
I love JESUS CHRIST OUR LORD AND SAVIOUR!
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Probly depends on the wear. I think you might be able to shoot some brass case ammo out of it. :D
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
daveshady

Post by daveshady »

The Feral Machinist wrote:That looks vaguely familiar. Gunbroker win??

Maybe :roll: :roll: :roll:

:thumbsup:

working my way thru the Finns.. this one was a good buy I think..
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Uh ya that was a good buy.... :roll: :roll: :lol: Id a done it ifen I had the doh.
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
Three_Dogs

Post by Three_Dogs »

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :Drool1: :Drool1: :Drool1:
If corporations are people, when will we see one executed?
The Feral Machinist

Post by The Feral Machinist »

daveshady wrote:
The Feral Machinist wrote:That looks vaguely familiar. Gunbroker win??

Maybe :roll: :roll: :roll:

:thumbsup:

working my way thru the Finns.. this one was a good buy I think..
Ha ha very nice. I nearly clicked the buy it now option. Nice rifle for sure at a decent price. Good find. Please add some pics when you get it!!

I found a M28 at a pawn shop when I first started collecting. I wasn't sure what it was and I regret to this day not buying it. They were asking 175.
I love JESUS CHRIST OUR LORD AND SAVIOUR!
MarksmanTim

Post by MarksmanTim »

My M28 also does not have a "D" stamp. It has the SIG barrel vs. your Tikka, but in my case it will eat any ammo I put in it. Accuracy is good, but not my best Mosin, and probably for good reason as this M28 saw heavy fighting based on it's condition and Civil Guard location.
Tim

Favorites of the collection:
1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
Bugelson

Post by Bugelson »

MarksmanTim wrote: M28 saw heavy fighting based on it's condition and Civil Guard location.
Bit off topic sorry//

Just for clarification.

The "front time" does not depend on Civil Guard location at all. All Civil Guardsmen of service age were part of the Army during the war and could in theory serve in any troops in any location.

Older Guardsmen were part of home troops, but they were often armed with older weapons if possible as they served for example all kind of sentry duty far behind lines on home front.

So any rifle from any district could have been through hell. And they often have been.
MarksmanTim

Post by MarksmanTim »

Bugelson wrote:
MarksmanTim wrote: M28 saw heavy fighting based on it's condition and Civil Guard location.
Bit off topic sorry//

Just for clarification.

The "front time" does not depend on Civil Guard location at all. All Civil Guardsmen of service age were part of the Army during the war and could in theory serve in any troops in any location.

Older Guardsmen were part of home troops, but they were often armed with older weapons if possible as they served for example all kind of sentry duty far behind lines on home front.

So any rifle from any district could have been through hell. And they often have been.

Thanks for the info.

Someone from a front area district would basically be guaranteed to see heavy service and heavy sentry duty, no? (serious question)

Obviously they wouldn't make people from other areas sit on their hands while their out numbered brethren are fighting for their lives up front.
Tim

Favorites of the collection:
1909 Ex-Cossack M91/38
1929 SIG M28 non updated
Bugelson

Post by Bugelson »

MarksmanTim wrote:
Thanks for the info.

Someone from a front area district would basically be guaranteed to see heavy service and heavy sentry duty, no? (serious question)

Obviously they wouldn't make people from other areas sit on their hands while their out numbered brethren are fighting for their lives up front.
Like said all service age Civil Guardsmen were called and they served in the ranks of the Army, just like those reservists who were not members of the Civil Guard. Let's take an imaginary example of a rifle company, for example there could be maybe 20-30 Civil Guardsmen and 170 non-Civil Guardsmen in the company.

District where the troops were raised didn't matter that much in a sense that troops could serve far from the area they were raised.
daveshady

Post by daveshady »

lil more info on her

The rifle was originally issued to guardsmen in the Lounais Häme district (S 37515). The rear sight has
the Civil Guard’s modified sight plate and a trigger spring to enhance the trigger pull. The receiver of
this rifle was made at the Tula factory in 1905.

Matching serial numbers on the barrel shank and bolt handle.
No numbers on the Floorplate the magwell in the photo looks like a Circle R but cant be 100%

Will know more next week when it arrives. The 28/30 is supposed to show up today I need
to quit, I told myself I was done for a while but the price on this one was to good.
zeebill

Post by zeebill »

It may drive you crazy and broke but these things have to be taken on when you see them if you like it. They just disappear way too fast otherwise. Bill
Gsragtop

Post by Gsragtop »

I'm looking at a VTK with a D stamp... What's the D stamp mean???
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Bored out throat for the D166 cartridge. :D