M39 Straight Stock Study

Mosin Information Pages, Video's on setting firing pin protrusion, how to check headspace, the Mosin bolt,
MosinWiki, How to's on cleaning your Mosin, shooting too hight? and much more.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

M39 Straight Stock Study

Post by Darryl »

This is a study of M39 rifles in "straight stocks"

Below shows the serial number range and how many are in that range.
I am not showing all serial numbers to allow for privacy of the rifles owners (for now)

Serial Number range..........total in that block
200,000-200,999..............Total 12
201,000-201,999..............Total 17
202,000-202,999..............Total 24
203,000-203,999..............Total 18
204,000-204,999..............Total 19
205,000-205,999..............Total 24
-206,999..............Total of 21 (Total 4 before 206200 and 17 after 206200 to end) 206200 is the cutoff point of the "old theory"
207,000-207,999..............Total 15
208,000-208,999..............Total 9
209,000-209,999..............Total 2
210,000-215,999..............Total 7

It is clear they continued to put straight stocks on rifles up to 207999 (maybe some where before that) and did not stop at 206,200 as the old theory states. It is also clear they probably did not save any for "later use" or "repairs" and if they did, they had more then originally though.

[hr]

Old theory:
M39's were supposed to have had 6,200 straight stock that were used first in 1941 when the first of the M39's came into the arsenal. An additional 800 straight stocks were set aside for later usage as a replacement stock (for damaged stocks). A total of 7000 straight stocks.*1 After this point they used pistol grip stocks. This change would have happened in 1941 some time.

Old Theory's Conclusion:
1) Any M39 with a straight stock with serial # 206,200 and lower had a correct straight stock on it. (Red above)

2) Anything M39 above 206,200 would have had the original pistol grip stock that came on it removed at some point and a straight
stock put on. If it has a straight stock now, it was not original.

Problems:
This would mean that the Finns put straight stocks on M39's from 200,000 to 206,200 and sprinkled them on other M39's as they were needed for replacements (repairs). If this were true, all the rest of the 800 stocks set aside for repairs would have been used up by the end of 1941. They do not show on any other year rifles other than 1941 dated rifles (with the rare exception of a couple know examples). That is a lot of replacements to have on a small amount of rifles in less than a year (perhaps 6 months or so). Also, it would mean that when they mixed up the stock later on (say during refurbishment after the war?), they did it only to 1941 year M39's because no other M39's have straight stocks.

From the study above:
The above study of M39's was done over 8 years and seems to suggest that they used straight stocks on rifle serial numbers 200,000 to 208,000 (or there about). It is clear that straight stocks were put on rifles up to serial # 208,000 by the amounts of rifle found now with them on. Notice how the numbers fall off at 208,000 and higher up. That is when they stopped.

Study Conclusions:
This would seem to indicate they used over 8,000 straight stocks or they mixed in pistol grip stocks in at some point.
Did they have more stocks than 7,000 to start with? Perhaps 8,000. This would explain the M39's with straight stocks on them from 200,000 to 207,999.

Finding straight stocks on M39's above 208,000 would indicate either they were swapped on to these rifles during repairs (and only to 1941 M39's) or later re arsenals from rifles with serial numbers lower than 208,000. Or they had more than 8,000 stocks originally and these "spares" (above 8,000) were used to do repairs.

But clearly they used straight stocks on M39 till at least 207,999

If you would like to make sure your straight stock is on the studies list, or know of a straight stock, you can either post it here, or PM me!

Dolk

This will be moved to the "information forum shortly

*1 mosinnagant.net http://mosinnagant.net/finland/finnish_ ... antm39.asp
Lee-online

Re: M39 Straight Stock Study

Post by Lee-online »

Kollaa kestää
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Only 1941 Sako M39's had Straight Stocks. Those were the first M39's out.

Your SKY had it's stock replaced with that straight stock. Straight stocks were never put on SKY rifles. Not in the arsenals on the original rifle. All SKY rifles came out with the "pistol grip" stock on them from the beginning.

Darryl
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

But, who, when and where was it replace? and why did they use a straight stock?

This rifle was imported this way so was done by the Finns?
Kollaa kestää
Greasemonkey

Post by Greasemonkey »

Lee-online wrote:But, who, when and where was it replace? and why did they use a straight stock?

My '44 Sako is in the same category as yours, a stock swap somewhere in it's life :vconfused:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I said I was an addict. I didn't say I had a problem.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

Lee-online wrote:But, who, when and where was it replace? and why did they use a straight stock?

Who and when?....Probably the Finns during the war or after. No way to tell. But they did this kind of thing all the time, so it is common and accepted. My guess (and it is just that and not fact) it was probably damaged and they had the straight stock sitting around as spare parts (maybe from another rifle).

Where?.....In the arsenal, or in the field...Who knows? Doesn't matter. It is OK and still collectable.

why did they use a straight stock?....... Probably had one left over from parts off another rifle (perhaps the other parts were screwed up?). This is very common on Finn rifles. They used what they had to keep as many rifles in the field as possible.

It was absolutely done by the Finns.....(probably). I tossed that probably in because there is no way to know for sure, but it is a very common thing to see on any Finn rifle. Mixed parts is standard on a lot of Finn rifles.

So don't worry. You have a very unique rifle! If you PM me, I will tell you more info on it.

Darryl (Dolk)
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

In my collection it's the "48" rifle that has the straight stock, positively a post war reused part as the "48"s weren't built until well after the war was over.
Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
Junk Yard Dog
Owner/Founder
Owner/Founder

Post by Junk Yard Dog »

Leave it as it is. The ages have been at work on it and man can only mar it.
Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft.
Theodore Roosevelt
bunkysdad
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bunkysdad »

Lee-online, I can say this with total honesty, I have never seen a M39 that looks better than yours. If you look at some of the tiger stripe rifles that Darryl has on his website thedolk.com you will see the most absolute beautiful wood to ever be put on a Finnish rifle ( my opinion) and they take my breath, well the metal on yours is in that same category ( again my opinion) . I absolutely love your rifle. Something about the combination of blue-loss, but excellent markings that make it a 10 in my book.
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

bunkysdad wrote:Lee-online, I can say this with total honesty, I have never seen a M39 that looks better than yours. If you look at some of the tiger stripe rifles that Darryl has on his website thedolk.com you will see the most absolute beautiful wood to ever be put on a Finnish rifle ( my opinion) and they take my breath, well the metal on yours is in that same category ( again my opinion) . I absolutely love your rifle. Something about the combination of blue-loss, but excellent markings that make it a 10 in my book.
I agree. My favorite rifles are the ones that look "the part" and age. Beautiful rifle.

Darryl
Lee-online

Post by Lee-online »

Thank you, I too love the look of this rifle and all that show their use. The patina is trying to tell its life history, I'm sure it has a good one.

I took it to the range this weekend and it was a dream to shoot, butter smooth bolt, dead nuts on sights, attention getter amongst all the AR's.
Kollaa kestää
finloq

Post by finloq »

"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

I have half the package... I have the 41 Sako but no straight stock. Also, Mine just falls out of the # range for one. Oh well, It's still a great shooter. Great info... I'm sure that took quite a long time to compile. :thumbsup:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
finloq

Post by finloq »

The Burns Bros. have one up on their site, right now.
"Self-realization. I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

finloq wrote:The Burns Bros. have one up on their site, right now.
Yesterday, they had two.
finloq

Post by finloq »

dolk wrote:
finloq wrote:The Burns Bros. have one up on their site, right now.
Yesterday, they had two.
Quick sells. Any site that takes credit cards will do well with milsurps.
bb91

Post by bb91 »

Dolk, here's one for your survey, it's okay if this link self destructs! :)

Wasn't me by the way.

http://www.empirearms.com/208779.jpg
Darryl
Sniper Expert
Sniper Expert

Post by Darryl »

bb91 wrote:Dolk, here's one for your survey, it's okay if this link self destructs! :)

Wasn't me by the way.

http://www.empirearms.com/208779.jpg
All ready have it! :thumbsup:
racerguy00

Post by racerguy00 »

Here's the link to mine if it was missed.

http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.c ... it=+41+m39
On Facebook? Check out the non-sporter preservationist group at: OOOPS. Deleted by Facebook because it's evil to even discuss collectible firearms on social media these days.
Bobdog

Post by Bobdog »

Hi,
I have a 1944 SAKO M39 with the pistol grip stock (SN 2154XX)