Weldon's update

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
Fred_G

Re: Weldon's update

Post by Fred_G »

Weldon, it is sounding like a fun day at the 'range' to me. Let me know when you are ready. Will bring my motley crew of weapons, and we will have fun shooting.
sclinesr

Post by sclinesr »

When I got that in about 1982 my buddy had just bought a .303 British. That has a kick for sure.
The kick of a British 303 is nothing compared to the kick of a MN. After putting several rounds through my 91/30 it was a relief to shoot my friends 303.
"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington
sbkittrell

Post by sbkittrell »

Those are some fine looking Mosins, but I don't think you have enough ammo cans.
Some days it's not even worth gnawing through the restraints.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

sbkittrell wrote:Those are some fine looking Mosins, but I don't think you have enough ammo cans.
Thanks I like them for sure. As for the ammo cans well you may be correct but it's a start. I'll refer you to this thread though. http://www.russian-mosin-nagant-forum.c ... f=9&t=1254 I still think I need one or two more. Did I mention I love this stuff? :D
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

sclinesr wrote:
When I got that in about 1982 my buddy had just bought a .303 British. That has a kick for sure.
The kick of a British 303 is nothing compared to the kick of a MN. After putting several rounds through my 91/30 it was a relief to shoot my friends 303.

Well it has been almost 30 years since I shot that one. I guess I was an impressionable youngster back then. :)
Fred_G

Post by Fred_G »

Now we just need to see Weldon fill all those ammo cans. What good is an empty ammo can? :D
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

What beautiful rifles and fantastic pics. You really captured all the little marks so well.
And great collection!
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Fred_G wrote:Now we just need to see Weldon fill all those ammo cans. What good is an empty ammo can? :D
What makes you think they aren't? :brolleyes:
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

WeldonHunter wrote:
Fred_G wrote:Now we just need to see Weldon fill all those ammo cans. What good is an empty ammo can? :D
I wasn't going to assume anything. :D
You see in this world there are two kinds of people my friend, those with loaded guns... and those who dig. You dig.
sclinesr

Post by sclinesr »

WeldonHunter wrote:
sclinesr wrote:

Well it has been almost 30 years since I shot that one. I guess I was an impressionable youngster back then. :)
Oh, the 303 has a good kick. I'd say the Mosin's kick is comperable to the 416 Rigby.
"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington
Fred_G

Post by Fred_G »

WeldonHunter wrote:
Wow, I thought my case of EBR disease was bad... Some of you Mosin folks got it real bad!! :shock: :lol:
SA1911a1

Post by SA1911a1 »

Nice rifles and nice presentation. Thanks!
Aut Pax Aut Bellum
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

SA1911a1 wrote:Nice rifles and nice presentation. Thanks!
Thanks, I wanted to share these with everyone and make it fun. I'm working on the post for the 6th and last one. It's nice. It's another M91/30 Hex but this one is a Tula, 1932 pre war stock.
WeldonHunter

Re: Weldon's update Gun #6 M91/30 Hex 1932 Tula

Post by WeldonHunter »

Here it is the last in the series. I really like this one. The stamping is more precise, it just looks cleaner. The barrel on this one looks good too with a fairly clean bore. Some pitting but over all it's still got a lot of life left in it. I believe this one is going to be one of my best shooters. I can feel it. It has matching serial numbers, mostly if not all force stamped.

Before cleaning

After Cleaning

Here they are all together on the new racks. Seeing them one at a time is one thing but seeing them all together makes the picture complete. I snuck in an M1 Garand in the last few pictures to show the difference between a Russian and American weapon from that period. The Garand is a Winchester May/1944.

desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Very well done Weldon. Have been waiting for my mosin fix from you all day. That doesd look nic and your full racks look nice too. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Very impressive! I love how you have them displayed. You have an awesome collection...and I know you're not done yet :)

Well done my friend...

(and again, thank you for posting all your photos with comments. I know you put a ton of effort into it!)
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
cyknight

Post by cyknight »

Awesome stuff! An arsenal fit for a King! :clap: :toast:
American Gunsmiths: Making things go BANG for over 200 years!
Co-Owner/Gunsmith - Diamond B Gunsmithing.

2-1942 Izhevsk M91/30, 1939 K98, 1895 M1891 Argentine Mauser, 1924 VZ-24, 1917 SMLE, 1942 SMLE, 1933 1895 Tula Nagant, 1958 Type 56 SKS
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

desdem12 wrote:Very well done Weldon. Have been waiting for my mosin fix from you all day. That doesd look nic and your full racks look nice too. :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
Thanks. I need a remote control light so I can turn the light on and off with out getting up when I want to see them better, lol. Reminds me of the Cannon commercial with Maria Sharapova and that indifferent little dog sitting in front of a wall full of pictures of himself saying "I like this area" with a Russian accent. Ditto :D
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

MN Fan wrote:Very impressive! I love how you have them displayed. You have an awesome collection...and I know you're not done yet :)

Well done my friend...

(and again, thank you for posting all your photos with comments. I know you put a ton of effort into it!)
cyknight wrote:Awesome stuff! An arsenal fit for a King! :clap: :toast:
Thanks, I only wish I could get the other two gun racks on the same wall but I've run out of space there. There's really never enough wall space anyway now is there. Because as you stated MN Fan You know I'm not done yet.

I may be in the process of converting my neighbor to being a Mosin owner too. I went over to take them some eggs today and sat down to talk for a bit. We complained to eachother about the scarce deer this year and he asked what I've been up to. I told him about this adventure and his eyebrow raised. When I told him how much they cost it raised again. Then I talked him about setting up the shooting range in the back again and what my plans are and his wife said she'd love to shoot more especially if we have some targets and then said but the shells are so dang expensive. His eyebrow raised again. He knows I get real good deals on ammo because I've done it for him. Ammo cans too. Besides, these Mosins are so cheap to shoot and a blast at that. I think the shooting range idea is going to work out real good.

When I left the last thing he said was I'm gonna have to come over and see these new guns and smiled.
pacanis

Post by pacanis »

Weldon, how did you come into these great rifles, especially the prewar ones? Did you just order a bunch and happened to get a '32 Tula? Or is this what some places online refer to as hand picking? I would love to have a 91-30 Tula, but don't know how to go about getting one except to keep my eyes open in case I bump into one in person.