Weldon's update

"Collectors Forum" - All Mosin Nagant are discussed here. Also the Russian and "Finnish capture" SVT38 and SVT40. This is an excellent place for new Mosin owners to ask questions. We have some of the best experts here looking forward to your questions. If you post a Mosin sniper rifle here, we may or may not move it to the sniper forum.

Preservation forum, please no altered military surplus rifles or discussions on altering in this forum. No sportsters. Please read the rules at the top of each forum
WeldonHunter

Re: Weldon's update

Post by WeldonHunter »

Fred_G wrote:Nice looking guns. Congrats on the score! I feel like a slacker only owning won Mosin...

Love your ammo can 'work bench'.

Thanks for posting the photos. :D
Yeah BD I have no idea why the dent is there but it actually makes the gun fit my hand better so I guess I have a semi sporterized m91/30 russian bubbarized arsenal gun.

Fred that bench is just for taking pictures. Great for that. The work bench is the rickety table in the background usually but since it's gotten cold and I have so many of these to clean I've moved the operation inside and am working off of the TV tables you see in some of the pictures. The back room is clearing up some now that I'm on the last 2 guns but it still looks like a guns store exploded in here. I'm taking my time and savouring the moment. You'll get to see it in all of it's wonderous glory when we do some shooting. :vcool:
WeldonHunter

Re: Weldon's update Gun #4 M44 1944 Izhevsk

Post by WeldonHunter »

Ok here's number 4. It's an M44 1944 Izhevsk and is in really good shape. Bore has a bit of pitting but I haven't really done a super good cleaning. We'll see what it looks like after a good shoot. It's counter bored and after running the brass brushes through it with some hoppes and patches of CLP it looks fairly nice. Should be a nice shooter. Sure looks good on the rack though. It has lots of marks and some repairs to the stock and some matching number tha are either true or forced. Overall it's a fine example of a Russian M44.

Before cleaning

After cleaning

desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Well done Weldon. Looks like a real nice one and cleaned up nicely. 8-) 8-) :vcool: :D :toast:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

desdem12 wrote:Well done Weldon. Looks like a real nice one and cleaned up nicely. 8-) 8-) :vcool: :D :toast:
Thanks I like it too. You know I'm not sure about the coating on these. I've never cleaned a gun coated with cosmoline. I'm not even sure what cosmoline is. This stuff looks like grease to me. It's really not that hard to clean these just a bit tedious. Of course I'm not taking them completely apart either. That will come the first time I shoot them. If this is typical of what cosmoline is I'm good with it. I've been a mechanic for a long time and been covered in old black grease from head to toe including caked in my hair so this is a walk in the park. I actually like it in a sick kind of way. It's clean grease instead of the black grease and I love the smell of cosmoline in the morning. Working on number 5 now. :D
sclinesr

Post by sclinesr »

WeldonHunter wrote:
desdem12 wrote:Well done Weldon. Looks like a real nice one and cleaned up nicely. 8-) 8-) :vcool: :D :toast:
Thanks I like it too. You know I'm not sure about the coating on these. I've never cleaned a gun coated with cosmoline. I'm not even sure what cosmoline is. This stuff looks like grease to me. It's really not that hard to clean these just a bit tedious. Of course I'm not taking them completely apart either. That will come the first time I shoot them. If this is typical of what cosmoline is I'm good with it. I've been a mechanic for a long time and been covered in old black grease from head to toe including caked in my hair so this is a walk in the park. I actually like it in a sick kind of way. It's clean grease instead of the black grease and I love the smell of cosmoline in the morning. Working on number 5 now. :D
Cosmoline sure beats the grade I or II preservative I had to remove from the aircraft I used to work on when I was in the Navy! When I first got my 91/30 I thought this was going to be a real pain to clean off.
"A free people ought not only be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of Independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington
Rongo
Administrator
Administrator

Post by Rongo »

These are looking great Weldon... Well done!!! :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:
"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it". Mark Twain

"Dang that entropy"
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Rongoman wrote:These are looking great Weldon... Well done!!! :vcool: :vcool: :vcool:

Thanks Ron, I'm getting ready to post the 5th one. I had a small mishap with this one. While I was taking the pictures I had it slip. I was taking the pictures on the top of the plastic trashcan and it's a bit slippery. I had the rifle next to the edge and it started to slip off. I had the camera in one hand and I used a bunch of parts of my body including my grundle to stop it from hitting the ground. It slid off and as I caught it I quickly put the camera on the top of the trashcan and grabbed the rifle. It tilted and the muzzle just grazed the ground. No dirt or anything but the shellac now has a few scratches near the receiver and on the buttstock that weren't there. It feels like they are mostly just cosmetic. Those are from it sliding over the edge of the trashcan. DOH!!! Won't do that again. Especially with the next one I'm cleaning. It's a 32 m91/30 Hex and it's the only Tula that I got out of all 6 rifles.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Nobody saw it!!! just regular old battle scars obtained while beating germans to death. :big shock:
The commerce which maybe carried on with the people inhabiting the line you will pursue renders a knowledge of these people important ~Thomas Jefferson~ (to- Lewis and Clark)
WeldonHunter

Re: Weldon's update Gun #5 M91/30 38 Izhevsk

Post by WeldonHunter »

Ok here's number 5. It's an M91/30 1932 Izhevsk round receiver with matching numbers. Bolt may be forced. Floorplate doesn't look forced, butt plate is most likely forced after a grind off of the numbers but I'm not sure. It like the other round receiver is from TGI, http://www.tnguns.com/shop/index.php?ma ... oducts_all , It like the other rifle has spot on the stock that's been ground down to repair some sort of damage. This is further forward and under the handguard. Lots of marks including the ones I accidently put on it, DOH!!!

Before cleaning

After Cleaning

desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

Looks good, A nice stock on that one and a pre war too it looks like. Lots o cosmo to clean too. :vcool: :vcool:
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

desdem12 wrote:Looks good, A nice stock on that one and a pre war too it looks like. Lots o cosmo to clean too. :vcool: :vcool:
Thanks. What makes it look like a pre-war stock? I know you said the one with no escutcheons was but this one has those.
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

All righty ...A stock with a liner in the front and none in the but is a war time stock. One with screwed escutchens is a pre war stock. And one with pressed is a post war stock. The last one looked like it had screwed esctchens and there for a pre ww2 stock and correct for that year (i think) :D :D
Fred_G

Post by Fred_G »

Wow, some nice guns you got! Looking forward to when we can do some shooting! Will definitely have to bring the AR's so I don't feel too under gunned! :D

Great pictures too!
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

desdem12 wrote:All righty ...A stock with a liner in the front and none in the but is a war time stock. One with screwed escutchens is a pre war stock. And one with pressed is a post war stock. The last one looked like it had screwed esctchens and there for a pre ww2 stock and correct for that year (i think) :D :D
Ok thanks and I've copied and saved that. So much to remember to be correct about these. Just remembering what is what about when a stock was made and then pairing that to the year of the rifle and and if it's correct to the year of the rifle, whew! I'm just a dumb pollack so it takes a bit for stuff to sink in.

I just looked at the 3 M44s I have, the Polish is wartime. One of the Russians is post war and the other Russian is wartime. 3 of the 4 91/30s including both of the Hex's are prewar. The other round is wartime. I'm learning. I've finished cleaning the last one and will post it tomorrow. No sunlight for decent pictures right now. Good looking gun. It's hanging up with all of the others. What a great sight that is seeing all of them together lined up and waiting to be shot. I have the M44s on one rack and the M91/30s on the other. I'll take a piture of it tomorrow and I'm thinking about getting them all down, lining them up and taking a group photo.
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Fred_G wrote:Wow, some nice guns you got! Looking forward to when we can do some shooting! Will definitely have to bring the AR's so I don't feel too under gunned! :D

Great pictures too!
Thanks Fred. Oh you'll get to shoot these. Maybe not all the same day but eventually, lol. You say you'll bring the AR's so you're not feeling so under gunned. I've never shot an AR so you'd know how a Mosin compares to an AR. We'll shoot the Mauser and a few others I have around here too. I have one you probably don't know about. Here's a hint pow pow pow pow pow pow pow pow PING! :wink:
MN Fan

Post by MN Fan »

Weldon...thank you for all the effort you put into this thread. The photo quality is excellent. I have learned a lot by everyone's input and comments. You did a nice job of zooming in on the important parts and made things very clear.

Though I am jealous of your collection, I am thrilled these amazing weapons have wound up in your hands. Without a doubt, they will be cherished, preserved and shared.

You're a class act my friend...
Cocked, locked and ready to rock...
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

MN Fan wrote:Weldon...thank you for all the effort you put into this thread. The photo quality is excellent. I have learned a lot by everyone's input and comments. You did a nice job of zooming in on the important parts and made things very clear.

Though I am jealous of your collection, I am thrilled these amazing weapons have wound up in your hands. Without a doubt, they will be cherished, preserved and shared.

You're a class act my friend...
Thanks for the compliments but I have to say that there's others on here that do a way better job with a camera. If you only knew how many pictures were deleted just to get the ones I have it would make your head spin. I think that's why this one slid off the the trash can I was shooting on. I was deleting with one hand at one point. I'd aim wait for the auto focus, click, blurry picture...delete...repeat, I did that maybe 5 or 6 times on some of them. Lighting wasn't right, wrong angle so the camera wouldn't hold the focus for some reason. Damn frustrating I'll tell you and some were still not really viewable. If buying a new camera wasn't about the same as a case of ammo or a new rifle I could buy I'd get another one and this is a new camera.

I did this partly to show off. I have a meager collection compared to some of these guys. My knowledge is also meager so that's the main reason I did it was to learn about them. That I have and am still learning. I'll get that last one up tomorrow with a group photo. :)
Fred_G

Post by Fred_G »

WeldonHunter wrote:
Fred_G wrote:Wow, some nice guns you got! Looking forward to when we can do some shooting! Will definitely have to bring the AR's so I don't feel too under gunned! :D

Great pictures too!
Thanks Fred. Oh you'll get to shoot these. Maybe not all the same day but eventually, lol. You say you'll bring the AR's so you're not feeling so under gunned. I've never shot an AR so you'd know how a Mosin compares to an AR. We'll shoot the Mauser and a few others I have around here too. I have one you probably don't know about. Here's a hint pow pow pow pow pow pow pow pow PING! :wink:
Now the gun that goes Ping after the last round fired, I want one of those! Would love to shoot it! Garand perhaps? LOL, I hear the Mosin kicks like a mule. I could rest the butt of my AR in the 6.8SPC flavor on my forehead and fire it off. Not an accurate way to shoot, but the AR in 5.56 or 6.8 does not really have 'recoil'. But it is known to put a smile on most people's face to crank out 30 rounds as fast as you can pull the trigger, and be pretty accurate.

I have a new handgun to shoot. So, I may take my Mosin to the indoor range for a function check. It is only a 25 yard range, so function check is all it will be. Will see how the Mosin kicks. :shock:
desdem12

Post by desdem12 »

WeldonHunter wrote:Ok thanks and I've copied and saved that. So much to remember to be correct about these. Just remembering what is what about when a stock was made and then pairing that to the year of the rifle and and if it's correct to the year of the rifle, whew! I'm just a dumb pollack so it takes a bit for stuff to sink in
No worries Weldon it will be a second language to you very soon and you will be a schoolin me soon. Happy days. :D :D
WeldonHunter

Post by WeldonHunter »

Fred_G wrote:
WeldonHunter wrote:

Great pictures too!
Now the gun that goes Ping after the last round fired, I want one of those! Would love to shoot it! Garand perhaps? LOL, I hear the Mosin kicks like a mule. I could rest the butt of my AR in the 6.8SPC flavor on my forehead and fire it off. Not an accurate way to shoot, but the AR in 5.56 or 6.8 does not really have 'recoil'. But it is known to put a smile on most people's face to crank out 30 rounds as fast as you can pull the trigger, and be pretty accurate.

I have a new handgun to shoot. So, I may take my Mosin to the indoor range for a function check. It is only a 25 yard range, so function check is all it will be. Will see how the Mosin kicks. :shock:

Ok now I remember and that's what got us going about the shoot. You have a Mosin but you haven't shot it yet, right? I thought you had. My first high power rifle was a Marlin 336 .35 Rem. It kicks. Well it did. I still have it but it's not shootable atm. Sore subject. When I got that in about 1982 my buddy had just bought a .303 British. That has a kick for sure. I'd owned shotguns over the years but when I bought the M44 and the 8mm Mauser I really found out what kicking like a mule is. Well except when I lit my double Barrel 12ga of with both barrels loaded with 3" magnums. Knocked me off the chair I was sitting on. I did that once and will never do it again. I did shot it with both barrels again the other day when I finished restoring it but it was nowhere near as bad that time. I was only using 2 #8 2 3/4" target loads. Still almost took my fingers off.

Believe it or not the Mosin seems to have less kick than the 8mm Mauser. Oh and the ping rifle is what you said but mines not 30.06, it's 7.62x51 NATO. Slightly toned down but basically the same ballistics. Hopefully the AKM shows up before we get at it. That'll be fun too.